Finally got pulled over...

This is a discussion on Finally got pulled over... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Zach and Holly I don't know a single person here in Eugene, OR who carries. It'd be great to have some personal ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally got pulled over...

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    I don't know a single person here in Eugene, OR who carries. It'd be great to have some personal comradeship.
    Im a Junior at the U of O, and am at the barons den shooting range weekly.. we should meet up.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I'm curious, do you have to notify if you're not carrying?
    Depends upon the state . . . here in Ohio; Yes!
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

VIP Member
    IMO a loaded weapon secured or in a proper holster is safer for all concerned than one being handled, being unloaded, or being loaded, especially by someone unfamiliar with its manual of arms. It's evident from this thread, and other incidents with which I'm familiar, that some LEO's (present company excluded) could use more small arms training in proper handling and muzzle etiquette. The same can be said about some permitee's and their "attitude" during the interview.

Did you ask him if he kept his bullet in his shirt pocket?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I have a question regarding this topic. I have a personal policy to never hand my gun to someone loaded, except for family.

I just always feel more comfortable unloading it myself, and then handing it to someone... (I can only control my own actions, and I can't speak for anyone but myself...)

If an officer asked for my firearm, would it be wrong of me to empty the mag and clear the chamber before handing it to him? I'd be willing to hand him the mag and ejected round...

or am I just crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I have a question regarding this topic. I have a personal policy to never hand my gun to someone loaded, except for family.

I just always feel more comfortable unloading it myself, and then handing it to someone... (I can only control my own actions, and I can't speak for anyone but myself...)

If an officer asked for my firearm, would it be wrong of me to empty the mag and clear the chamber before handing it to him? I'd be willing to hand him the mag and ejected round...

or am I just crazy...
    In the class that I took that was required to get my permit; we were told that if the officer says that he/she would like to take the gun for the duration of the stop, the best response would be:
    "How would you like me to give it to you officer?"

I highly doubt the officer will want you handling the gun any more than necessary to hand it to he/she.. Meaning not unloading it.

I have to think that unholstering a gun in front of a cop would be a bad idea unless specifically instructed to do so. Even if your intentions are good and you just want to clear it and make it safe, it would make him or her nervous just like it would make you nervous. I don't think there is a choice here. You just have to hope that the cop follows proper safe handling procedures. This isn't always the case.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMan View Post
    I have to think that unholstering a gun in front of a cop would be a bad idea unless specifically instructed to do so. Even if your intentions are good and you just want to clear it and make it safe, it would make him or her nervous just like it would make you nervous. I don't think there is a choice here. You just have to hope that the cop follows proper safe handling procedures. This isn't always the case.
    If the holster is attached to our belts, are we supposed to start stripping so we can give them the firearm in a holster?

If the holster is attached to our belts, are we supposed to start stripping so we can give them the firearm in a holster?
    I called my Dad who is a LEO.

He said the chances of him taking a gun on a stop are already unlikely.. but if he were to, he would open the door, unbuckle the individual's seat belt and remove it...

Quote Originally Posted by natticarry View Post
    The funny part is they don't trust you with the gun, but if you tell him you don't have it they take your word for it.
    +1

VIP Member
    What if he asks you to field strip?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    The phrase "... for my personal safety..." comes to mind.
    But what about my personal safety, as the officer has a gun and I don't know him from squatch. I know. Let's trade weapons and everyone will be safer as they don't have their own gun.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Quote Originally Posted by natticarry View Post
    The funny part is they don't trust you with the gun, but if you tell him you don't have it they take your word for it.
    Yeah, that is pretty funny .

Zach or Holly,
    The LEO will give you back your gun but not in a way that you could just turn around and shoot him with it. He might put it in your trunk, unload it, take the slide off...etc.
    At least that's been my experience.

"why in the world would an LEO take your firearm" The only reason is because he is an idiot if you ask me. The more you handle a firearm the more you increase the chances that something will go wrong. Unless he suspects you of something there is no reason to take it. You being a carry permit holder shows you took the course and are law abiding. The gun has nothing to do with a traffic stop. That's why I don't tell them unless asked which is the law here in MN.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

There's always a bit of time after a cop pulls you over before he approaches your vehicle, why not empty the pistol, then reholster so you're not handling it when they approach. That way if they ask for your weapon, it's already unloaded.

I know cops don't like you to fidget around after you get stopped, but maybe better for you to empty your own weapon...

Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ensiferum View Post

Any thoughts on this?
    Fidgeting.. not a good idea... if its not unloaded by the time they hit the lights... It should stay the way it is...

Remember.. the chances of an officer taking away your gun if you are licensed, are very slim... This may play out differently if you are in an open carry state that does not require a permit to do so like my state (Oregon).. and you do not have a permit to hand the officer

and zack and Holly- I tried to reply to your PM but your PM box is full and will not accept messages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links