Finally got pulled over... - Page 3

Finally got pulled over...

This is a discussion on Finally got pulled over... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ensiferum I know cops don't like you to fidget around after you get stopped, but maybe better for you to empty your ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finally got pulled over...

Quote Originally Posted by Ensiferum View Post
    I know cops don't like you to fidget around after you get stopped, but maybe better for you to empty your own weapon...
    Handling your gun from an unusual position at an awkward/tense moment sounds like a recipe for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardet65 View Post
    Depends upon the state . . . here in Ohio; Yes!

In Oregon, you do not have to notify regardless if you're carrying or not. Listen to this little tidbit mp3 on the Oregon OFF website where an officer simply didn't know this law, and called in to see if he could revoke the permit.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/audio/Citation2.mp3

As far as fidgeting beforehand, yikes! What if the officer came to your window rather quickly and you simply didn't have time to finish, or perhaps the officer is sitting in his patrol car watching you rapidly trying to do something...perhaps he would suspect you were trying to hide or cover something up quickly.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

During a traffic stop, Ky police will be advised that you have a CC license when entering your info in their on-board computer. I imagine this is the same in many or all states. I've not been stopped since having my CC license, but I expect the cop to be quite careful upon re-approaching my vehicle. I have thought about it and would probably advance the info that I have the license and am armed as soon as he stops me. Common courtesy I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ensiferum View Post
    There's always a bit of time after a cop pulls you over before he approaches your vehicle, why not empty the pistol, then reholster so you're not handling it when they approach. That way if they ask for your weapon, it's already unloaded.

I know cops don't like you to fidget around after you get stopped, but maybe better for you to empty your own weapon...

Any thoughts on this?
    Oh hel* NO!! Never fidget and move around....let alone WITH a weapon!! Your just asking to die of lead poisoning!! It's funny that would even come to someones mind!!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    The phrase "... for my personal safety..." comes to mind.
    +1.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Taking my pistol away and then unloading it and putting it in my trunk just displays for me the in experience and unprofessionalism of the officer...this is a bunch of 'toro feces'...IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I live in Eugene/Veneta. I was just at the Baron's Den last week with two friends that had never shot before, and they LOVED it!

Hello to my Lane County friends!
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by Orygun2 View Post
    I live in Eugene/Veneta. I was just at the Baron's Den last week with two friends that had never shot before, and they LOVED it!

Hello to my Lane County friends!

Would love to get together some time!
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I'm curious, do you have to notify if you're not carrying?
    no, at least in most states I know of. You don't have to tell him or her if you are carrying in FL either. I would volunteer the information and let the officer decide the best action to take. The officer can tell from the computer system probably anyway.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member

Finally got pulled over...

...and I say it's about time too! I've heard how you drive!

Seriously, there are as many schools of thought regarding "securing the weapon" as their are police officers. Some departments leave it to the officer's discretion and some (though not too many) have a policy.

Bottom line, the officer is responsible for his own safety in that situation and he should do what he sincerely believes is the safest because his number one priority is to make it home at the end of his shift! Not saying he'll make the right decision though.

I carry a 1911 and I have serious concerns about a police officer who is not familiar with my weapon, taking it out of my holster and unloading it but... about all I can do is cooperate and maybe offer a little advise and or dive for cover.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Would love to get together some time!
    "shoot" me a PM some time!
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links