Mag rotating??? - Page 3

Mag rotating???

This is a discussion on Mag rotating??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JVD85 I don't unload my mags for the sake of the spring, but I do unload them to clean my bullets. Call ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mag rotating???

Quote Originally Posted by JVD85 View Post
    I don't unload my mags for the sake of the spring, but I do unload them to clean my bullets. Call me silly...but my firearm won't fail because of dirty, grimy bullets!
    But might it not fail from your cleaning solvent getting into the powder and/or primer?

(disregard this question if you're using just a dry rag or something - I ask because I've heard that stuff like WD-40 can infiltrate cartridges and cause failures)

Clean dry rag....
    John VanDusen

"Whether it's a football game or an IED attack, you play EXACTLY how your practice."

"Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry." ~Oliver Cromwell

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    But might it not fail from your cleaning solvent getting into the powder and/or primer?

(disregard this question if you're using just a dry rag or something - I ask because I've heard that stuff like WD-40 can infiltrate cartridges and cause failures)
    Before you believe everything you've heard, I suggest you take a look at this:

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

With properly installed primers and bullets, it's virtually impossible for solvents to get into ammo.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Before you believe everything you've heard, I suggest you take a look at this:

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

With properly installed primers and bullets, it's virtually impossible for solvents to get into ammo.
    I actually did see that before as someone pointed there in a thread a few months ago. I could swear that someone pointed to an article or thread that had exactly contrary results to the Box - O - Truth test.

I've seen people wreck stuff by over cleaning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    I actually did see that before as someone pointed there in a thread a few months ago. I could swear that someone pointed to an article or thread that had exactly contrary results to the Box - O - Truth test.

I've seen people wreck stuff by over cleaning it.
    This is so vague as to be a useless statement. What has been wrecked by overcleaning? Is this something you have seen with your own eyes or something you have heard?

As for solvents and ammo, about 20 years ago a buddy and I did our own tests. What we did with primers pretty much duplicated what the folks at BOT did, with the same results. Additionally we sprayed WD-40 and a couple of other solvents on loaded rounds, let them set for 24 hours and then fired them. No failures to fire. We put ammo in pans of water for 24 hours and all ammo fired.

I wish we had photographed and documented all the tests, but we were just doing it for our own curiosity, not formal publication.

The point is, it takes extreme measures, not incidental contact, to cause damage to ammo by exposure to cleaning and lubrication solvents. Ammo is NOT fragile, contrary to what some uninformed - dare I say ignorant - shooters believe.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    This is so vague as to be a useless statement. What has been wrecked by overcleaning? Is this something you have seen with your own eyes or something you have heard?

The point is, it takes extreme measures, not incidental contact, to cause damage to ammo by exposure to cleaning and lubrication solvents. Ammo is NOT fragile, contrary to what some uninformed - dare I say ignorant - shooters believe.
    This is too much thread drift but I feel obligated to respond since your post is dripping with such attitude. Don't forget that we all started out ignorant of everything.

I'm new to handguns but used to sell motorcycle parts and roadraced motorcycles and later bicycles. It was unfortunately too common to see people disassemble things to over zealously clean them only to not adequately re-lubricate the not so obvious parts resulting in galling once back together. People would powerwash their bikes (motorcycles and bicycles) which under the right conditions, could blow the grease out of bearings or push water past seals (mostly countershaft bearings and wheel bearings), chains etc. Although I didn't actually see much of the damage, I sold parts to fix their cleaning mistakes.

Every disassembly is an opportunity to make a mistake on re-assembly too. When I first got into roadracing, I raced a Yamaha FZR400 which was designed in about 1987 IIRC and had a rev limit of about 14Krpm which now days is no big deal but back then was a big deal. I know of at least two engines which spun bearings after being torn down for "maintenance". Both of those re-builds were done by pro bike mechanics (I did one myself which had the same result but I wasn't a pro). In those two cases, the engines probably would have been fine for several more seasons had they not messed with them. Apparently, for an engine of that era that spins to 14k, the assembly has to be just perfect and was beyond the skill of most mechanics.

Now I know that guns are designed for more service than an FZR 400 but there's still some wisdom to be learned from the experience. I keep my guns clean & lubed but try not to go all OCD on them. E.g. I'll do a quick clean & lube of my cary gun every time I shoot it but I have no plans on doing another detail type strip until its about a year old (I did do a pretty thorough cleaning after the first 200rds or so though).

As to the bullet thing, I found the posting I was referring to HERE and it's just anecdote. You've convinced me that it's probably close to impossible for oils to get into the case unless there a defect but, I'm not going to go start spraying my bullets with WD40 nevertheless, I just won't worry about it.

I take your point.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links