You can carry here, but not there...

This is a discussion on You can carry here, but not there... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok,.......so I'm looking at the maps on handgunlaw.us (packing is still down) and I'm trying to figure out what states will give me the best ...

Thread: You can carry here, but not there...

Ok,.......so I'm looking at the maps on handgunlaw.us (packing is still down) and I'm trying to figure out what states will give me the best bang for the buck if I were to acquire ccw's there.
    I understand that Pennsylvania and New Hampshire are easy to get,
    and I see they both add Fla to my list. But.....I read that Fla, Michigan,
    and 2 other states only honor ccw's from the issuing states. I'm in WA state, so by picking up a Penn ccw, I get Fla, but I really don't get Fla........only people that get a ccw in Penn get Fla..........
    I'll get to the point now What a pile of monkey poop this whole thing is! Where in the world do the people that decide who can carry where come up with this ????? Why do I have the 18 or so states to carry in and not the others? why does someone in Penn have their states to carry in? when you look at the map of where I can carry, it's dotted all over the U.S.....why those states ?? who decides this and how is it decided?
    All I can figure is, any state that requires some form of training will not allow someone from a state that does not have training.
    otherwise, the background checks are exactly the same I'm sure.
    Sorry.......long winded post here
    One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.

Sir Winston Churchill.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNP-9er
    What a pile of monkey poop this whole thing is! Where in the world do the people that decide who can carry where come up with this ????? Why do I have the 18 or so states to carry in and not the others? why does someone in Penn have their states to carry in? when you look at the map of where I can carry, it's dotted all over the U.S.....why those states ?? who decides this and how is it decided?
    Hmm, I recall thinking those same questions to myself. The only answer I came up with is "politics". Some dorks we put in office get something (or cancel out somebody else's something) by setting it up this way. OK, it's a personal opinion, but I don't think I'm too far off.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

1952 - 2006
    If you read Florida law on CCW you will find that neither your PA or NH will be honored in Florida. Florida will only honor resident permits from other states. They will not honor a non-resident permit. It all comes down to what state you live in.

You can get a non-resident Florida permit from them and be good there.

I know it's all very wierd.

You are right in the statement that states that do not have an equal level of training for the CCW do not get reciprosity from another state.

Who decides this stuff? CopperKnight hit it, politicians. Depending on how pro-gun the particular legislature is determines what is going to happen with reciprosity.

My Nevada CCW is good in several other states, but Nevada will honor no other states CCW. Now thats weird. I also have Utah and New Hampshire which makes me legal in 32 states. Florida is not one of them.

I could get a Florida non-resident but it would only add Florida itself to the list that I can carry now.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I have been looking at the same thing. Colorado has reciprocity with 25 other states, including Florida. Getting a Florida non-resident permit would only add 4 states, 3 of which I will probably never enter anyway.

erh
    FNP-9er - It'll drive yah nuts tryin' to "Finger - It - Out"; I suggest starting with one where you live...
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

I just go crazy and get frustrated - and since I'm driving from TX to Boston this spring, I'm looking at all of this and just

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I recommend that everyone get the FLA. non -res. , as I plan to do.
    It opens up so many states to you that it's a no-brainer.

The FLA. website on Carry permits is VERY Clear and Informative.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

I have a PA. CCL , so I need to open up a "Pathway" if I want to carry
    seamlessly on trips.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by FNP-9er
    All I can figure is, any state that requires some form of training will not allow someone from a state that does not have training.
    otherwise, the background checks are exactly the same I'm sure.
    CA is hard to get, rare, and requires training and demonstrated need and proficency...yet very few states honor it. Go figure.

I am getting Utah along with my CA since it gives me WA, which FL does not...and is cheaper. I just wish OR and NV would honor CA or UT...those are two states I do visit regularly, yet it appears I will have to get each of those also if I want to carry legally. What a pain.

In Virginia, it is a combination of the Attorney General's office and the Virginia State Police that decide which states they will honor and with which states to pursue reciprocity. A big issue for Virginia is whether the other state will provide real-time or rapid access to permit records.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    Some states recognize all permits and some only recognize resident permits. Others recognize only certain states permits and some recognize no other permits and like Iowa do not issue to non-residents. Ok before you Iowa folks get in a bunch, you must have a good professional reasons to bother applying, and I would imagine that the issuance is rather low.

In some states an elected politician (Attorney General) or politicians make the decision. Some are decided more or less by the legislature and how their law is written. In some states the state police have input as well. As a citizen you can write letters and contact your reps and AGs to try to get more states recognized. Some states will only recognize permits from states that recognize their permit.

In many cases it depends on other states training requirements, identification requirements and availability to check the validity of the permit 24/7. Virginia requires that for another states permit to be recognized that state have a way to verify the validity of the permit 24/7. Some states require that for a permit to be honored the same training requirements must be met. So it goes.

Since I do not go to Florida I will not get a Florida non-resident permit. I was going to until I learned that Florida will not protect my personal information that is on the permit application. That and the entire process would cost me somewhere around $200. Utah protects my personal information by law, and and the process cost me about $70 for a 5 year permit and it gets me Washington and Minnesota, which are places I do visit.

-Scott-

Thumbs up

[Contact your local US Armed forces recruitor. Im sure they can fix the carrying issue and add a few extra countries also. Take your pick Five Branches of Service. Good luck

Been there, done that USAF - Honorable discharge 1983
    One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.

Sir Winston Churchill.

VIP Member
    For the reasons of the thread, I am certified by UT as an instructor. My MN students who want to travel are better served by it. "I'll recognize yours if you recognize mine" reminds me of games we played in 3rd grade.

At least Scott knows where to go to cool off in the summer...just wait till after tornado season.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Sponsored Links