What would you do? Notify? - Page 2

What would you do? Notify?

This is a discussion on What would you do? Notify? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KoB Thanks for the info. I plan on traveling to MI. soon and searched on handgunlaws.com on the MI. state and did ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? Notify?

Quote Originally Posted by KoB View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I plan on traveling to MI. soon and searched on handgunlaws.com on the MI. state and did not see anything about having to verbally state to LE that your are concealing. Thanks…now I know!
    For your review.

MSP - Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

Responsibilities of Individuals With a CCW License:

1. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.

* Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:

* First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CCW license suspension.
    * Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CCW license revocation.

2. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have the license in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

* Failure to possess CCW license when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and a $100.00 fine.

3. Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:

* His or her license to carry a concealed pistol
    * His or her driver license or personal identification card

* Failure to show CCW license and Michigan driver license or Michigan personal identification card when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and $100.00 fine.

4. A pistol carried in violation of numbers 1, 2, or 3 is subject to immediate seizure by a police officer.

* If a weapon is seized for failure to possess a CCW license while carrying a concealed pistol:

* Individual has 45 days in which to display their license to carry a concealed pistol to the law enforcement agency that seized the pistol and the pistol shall be returned.

* If the individual does not display their license to carry a concealed pistol within 45 days the pistol is subject to forfeiture.

To Ensure Safety During Police Encounters

If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer you should:

* Keep your hands where an officer can see them.
    * Cooperate fully with the police officer.
    * If you have a gun with you, tell the police officer as soon as possible.
    * Do not make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon.
    * If in a vehicle at night, turn on your vehicle's dome light.

In certain circumstances, a law enforcement officer may take temporary possession of the weapon during interaction with the individual to ensure the safety of the officer and others. The police officer will return the pistol at the end of the stop unless the individual is being charged with a violation of the act or any other law that allows for the weapon to be seized.

Please note that you are only required to inform while carrying or have one in your possession while in the vehicle.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

In Ga, we're not required to, but I probably would just to show respect for the officer. If he/she turns out to be a Barny Fife, well I'll maintain my composer for the stop and give his, or her supervisor a ear full over the phone.

My view there is, give the officer the benefit of the doubt and treat um with the respect the position deserves and it should be returned.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    In Ga, we're not required to, but I probably would just to show respect for the officer. If he/she turns out to be a Barny Fife, well I'll maintain my composer for the stop and give his, or her supervisor a ear full over the phone.

My view there is, give the officer the benefit of the doubt and treat um with the respect the position deserves and it should be returned.
    We're must-notify but I would do it even if we weren't for the above reasons. BTW gottabkiddin, I'm jealous of your lat/lon. Good eats!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tabraha View Post
    We're must-notify but I would do it even if we weren't for the above reasons. BTW gottabkiddin, I'm jealous of your lat/lon. Good eats!!!!
    Thanks. I go there when I need an oil change...

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

KoB
    Thanks for the tip Rugergirl!

Information well taken!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tabraha View Post
    I don't think SC is a must-notify state. NC is but not SC.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Yes it is according to this site.. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    3. Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:

* His or her license to carry a concealed pistol
    * His or her driver license or personal identification card
    Upon request to me means he has to ask for your permit. No?

If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer you should:

* Cooperate fully with the police officer.
    This is a tough one.
    What if the officer says, "Mind if I search your car?"
    He has no right to ask that.

MSP - Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police
    Where did this come from?
    It doesn't sound like law.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Yes it is according to this site.. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf
    You're right....my bad. THANKS!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Check out the handgun laws for your state and LEARN them!

Here in Michigan we are REQUIRED to notify. IIRC Florida does not require it. That being said, most states link DL with CC. If your plates are run then most likely they know.

Some will say if you are not required to notify, then concealed means concealed. Personally, if I am interacting with LEO, I am notifying out of courtesy, and taking my chances with getting an anti. That is just me.

Good luck.

In Mi. we only have to inform IF we are carrying at THAT specific interaction with LEO

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Oh so many years ago when I first got my carry permit in Indiana I was 19 working in a gas station and we had a couple State Troopers who stopped in frequently. I asked them this question and the sergeant Pete Xxxxx replied with a big grin "I don't know; depends on how you feel about having a cocked 357 magnum screwed in your left ear".

So I adopted an inform procedure; window open, engine off, dome light on if at night, hands at 10 & 2 and wait for his opening statement. Then I say "yes sir that is no problem, but before I move I would like to inform you that I have a concealed carry permit and I am armed". I worked as a private company phone tech for 15 years and was on the road usually with more service calls than time so I was always pushing it, running 9 over all the time, I probably averaged getting stopped 1 to 2 times a year and only got 3 tickets in that time. After running my DL and CCW the LEO usually told me to slow it down a bit with or without a warning ticket and I was on my way. And there were a few times I was decidedly more than 9 over and deserved a ticket and still let go with a warning.

Some day I may run into the @hole and I will have to play it by ear at that time, but I will continue to inform.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizowner View Post
    Personal experience of mine, pulled aside in a seat belt check, (which i wasn't wearing.) I carry right side 4pm position my wallet in right rear pocket.
    Officer asked me for license I let him know I was carrying and have a permit. He asked why I was notifying him of this, my response was I didn't want to be on the receiving end of a lack of communication. He smiled, said thank you, buckle up please, and enjoy your evening.

I believe a little respect and courtesy go a long way
    man why cant there be cops like this where i live?
    "with great power comes great responsibility"

GM
    Put yourself in their clothes for a moment. If you were LEO and therefore had to daily deal with a bunch of idiots that might want shoot you as soon they can, would you not like to be notified if the driver you stop is carrying a gun? I bet you would. I they ask me to show my driver license I always hand it along with my CCW permit, at the same time that I inform them that I am carrying a firearm. I might not need to, but I choose to do it because I consider it is the right thing to do; I choose to do it because it is my way to show respect and courtesy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The only time I would proactively notify is if I was asked to step out of the car. I would never utter any words that sound remotely like "I have a gun" I'd tell the cop " I need to give you this before I get out " and hand him my permit. He'll figure it out.

To me every piece of information I give the cop to process at the side of the road is that much longer that I'm going to be there.

In Colorado I am not required to inform unless asked, so I don't. If I get pulled over I have my wallet in my hand on the steering wheel (dome light on after dark). So I don't have to worry about the cop seeing my weapon while I'm getting my license. Also Colorado law forbids 1 registration of guns. Keeping records of gun sales (by the state, doesn't apply to dealers) or gun owner databases my county Sheriff interprets that as not putting his permitees on a CHP data base so my name wouldn't come back if they ran it. That said it's been my experience that most cops don't care for armed citizens (legal or otherwise) so I would simply be adding to my hassles should I volunteer the information. I don't start conversations W/ cops and I don't answer questions that they aren't asking PS In high stress situations (& traffic stops rate right up there among the highest) most people aren't actually listening to you they're scanning your words for threats. You may say W/ the best of intentions " officer I'm a permit holder and I am carrying a firearm W/me " & the cop may only hear " I've got a gun" guess how your nights gonna go from there?

Years ago I started carrying my wallet on my soft side...just makes things so much easier. My CHL is right across from my DL and the one time I was stopped I kept my right hand on the steering wheel, got my wallet with my left and gave the officer both the DL and CHL. He asked me why I was showing him the CHL and I told him I was carrying and prefered to avoid misunderstandings.

I got off with a warning, but probably would have anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links