What would you do? Notify?

This is a discussion on What would you do? Notify? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Florida and recently received my carry permit. I have a two part question for the experts. (maybe three) If I was pulled ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I live in Florida and recently received my carry permit.
    I have a two part question for the experts. (maybe three)

If I was pulled over by a LEO, am I required to notify him if I am carrying?

If I am pulled over by a LEO and I'm not carrying, but he can see on his computer I have a permit, should I notify him anyway?

If you are a LEO, do you like being notified?

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I live in Florida and recently received my carry permit.
    I have a two part question for the experts. (maybe three)

If I was pulled over by a LEO, am I required to notify him if I am carrying?

If I am pulled over by a LEO and I'm not carrying, but he can see on his computer I have a permit, should I notify him anyway?

If you are a LEO, do you like being notified?
    -Florida is not a must-notify state.
    -Some people choose to notify regardless of requirement.
    -If not legally required, I always opt to not notify. If the officer asks me to do something that will likely cause her to discover my gun (e.g. she asks me to step out of my vehicle) I will notify at that point.
    -What LEOs prefer is not necessarily what is best for the citizen.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

VIP Member
    Check out the handgun laws for your state and LEARN them!

Here in Michigan we are REQUIRED to notify. IIRC Florida does not require it. That being said, most states link DL with CC. If your plates are run then most likely they know.

Some will say if you are not required to notify, then concealed means concealed. Personally, if I am interacting with LEO, I am notifying out of courtesy, and taking my chances with getting an anti. That is just me.

Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Personal experience of mine, pulled aside in a seat belt check, (which i wasn't wearing.) I carry right side 4pm position my wallet in right rear pocket.
    Officer asked me for license I let him know I was carrying and have a permit. He asked why I was notifying him of this, my response was I didn't want to be on the receiving end of a lack of communication. He smiled, said thank you, buckle up please, and enjoy your evening.

I believe a little respect and courtesy go a long way

1.) No! You are not required to notify, but I probably would.

2.)Secondly, the LEO is not going to see on his computer if you have a permit or not...then refer back to #1
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    As a courtesy, I think I would inform, regardless. OTOH if he's wearing silvered aviator sunglasses...
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    2.)Secondly, the LEO is not going to see on his computer if you have a permit or not...then refer back to #1
    The computers in the Ks Highway Patrol cars do show that I have a permit and so do the computers that dispatch uses (I asked an LEO friend) so they will know either seeing with their own eyes in the car or being told. I usually do not tell though -- do not have to in KS.

KoB
    Thanks for the info.

I plan on traveling to MI. soon and searched on handgunlaws.com on the MI. state and did not see anything about having to verbally state to LE that your are concealing. Thanks…now I know!

I'm with Bm7b5. Unless asked or asked to do something that that may cause it to be discovered, I'm not going to notify them.

The way I see it is that I pose no more threat then someone with out a gun. So why potentially escalate the situation by revealing that I do.

Plus in the 6 years I have lived in FL, I have only been pulled over once. So I'm really not concerned about it.

If they ever changed the law and you were required, then I would do it. I also get the logic behind everyone that does do it even though not required. I will say that when I have been pulled over, I do roll down my window and stick my hands out and if it is at night I turn the lights on in the car.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    KoB yes in Michigan we are required to notify and yes your CPL status does show up when they run your plates(at least it does with MI plates).
    In my CPL class the instructors told us that we must verbally notify along with presenting the CPL with a drivers licence.
    Keeping your hands in plain view and not making any sudden movements is a good idea as well.
    I haven't been stopped since I got my CPL but my plan of action, is I am stopped it to hand the officer my CPL & DL and inform that I am carrying, where I'm carrying and asking the officer "What would you like me to do?" I'm showing respect for the officer while following MI law and leaving the ball in his court, on how things go from there. That might just be enough respect to get out of the stop with a friendly warning.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

mkh
    You can find the Florida statues at the link below. If you are going to carry CCW then you had better read and know them before you get yourself into trouble.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2008->Chapter 790 : Online Sunshine

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I also live in a no-requirement-to-notify state. However, I choose to notify because I believe that a little courtesy and respect goes a long way.

I would not notify if I wasn't carrying, no need, and it just confuses things.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Because we only carry concealed (except when huntuing) in FL, I notify when/if asked to provide ID. For the DWI/seatbelt checkpoints where you just stop, roll down the window, say hello then drive on, why bother to mention what doesn't matter?

Stopped to help an officer push someone's car out of the right-of-way once, then left without saying a word. Again, she may have preferred to know, but it was not worth mentioning.

If an officer cares to know who I am, then I want them to know I am armed. Anything can happen as they scan me and I'd rather they know in advance than 'discover' a concealed weapon on me.

If I'm just another public face, why bother the officer with useless facts?

Interestingly, I've never offer my CWL when stopped by FWCC or Forestry for a hunting license check. When openly wearing a revolver in the woods, the officer already knows I'm armed. If asked to disarm -- hasn't happened yet -- it would make sense to offer that I had one concealed before reaching to remove it ... never thought about that before.

I've asked several of our local LEOs and they all say they prefer to be notified (and not one of them showed an anti-gun attitude). As mentioned several times already -- FL does not require notification and your permit status does not show up on a license check.

I was pulled over for speeding in FL last week, and voluntarily disclosed. A traffic stop turned into a friendly talk between gun-nuts about the merits of the 1911. And friends don't write friends tickets. Even when deserved.

But work on your disclosure. Mine is "I'll be happy to give you my driver's license, but it is in my right hip pocket. I'm licensed to carry concealed and am in fact carrying inside the waistband on my right hip. What would you like me to do next?" Hands at 2 & 10 on the wheel, sunglasses off, cordial yet confident....

As opposed to a buddy who was stopped in Georgia, got out of the car, was told to get back in the car and said "before I do you need to know I have a gun in the car"

The form of the message matters.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links