Anyone Pulled Over by New York LEO while CCW?

This is a discussion on Anyone Pulled Over by New York LEO while CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was stopped by 2 nys troopers, told them I had guns in car, asked if I had permit, never requested to see it but ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Pulled Over by New York LEO while CCW?

ny carry

I was stopped by 2 nys troopers, told them I had guns in car, asked if I had permit, never requested to see it but then let me go for just letting them know that I was armed.
    The Democwats hate Consewvatives and want to Ewiminate ouw Fweedoms Dang Wabbits

2. Remove Ads

wats a leo
    XD 9 sc
    Ruger p95

Quote Originally Posted by pretty ruger View Post
    wats a leo

Law. Enforcement. Officer
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I live in NY State. I live in Buffalo. I know the State's anti-gun reputation, but I think that comes from two sources that are anti-gun: the Legislature and New York City. But when I was getting my permit, it took a long time, but I couldn't believe how friendly everyone involved was: the Permit Office, the local cops who interview you and your character witnesses by phone, the Permit Office of the Court that finally decided and issues it. That guy went out of his way to suggest I change the category of the permit asked for on the form, told me if he did he would approve it (for Business Carry for a year since I had no acceptable reason according to Law for Unrestricted - and he said to apply after a year for Unrestricted and it wouldn't be a problem - it wasn't). He even walked over to the Permit Office to personally get my changed paperwork so he could approve it that day. The cops kept shutting me up when I wanted to over-explain my reasons for application ("That's fine, you're golden, no need to add more" etc.).

Yeah, I know, other states don't have all these steps to apply, but that's the law here and everyone did all they could within it to cheer me on to get the permit.

And some counties have very easy applications. No restrictions etc. (Restrictions are allowed by the State to counties. Some counties use them, some don't, and they are not Gun Law but county-ordinances. All permits are State permits and are for Carry.)

So, i don't think it's as gun-friendly as some states but not as bad as its reputation.

NY State does not actually 'allow' the counties to restrict permits. They just don't do anything about it because no one has challenged it.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Better check again before you start quoting law, you DO NOT have to inform in NYS.
    First off check the attitude.
    Second off I was instructed by the Nassau County Police back when I had my permit that that was the law.
    I just took another look and it is no longer posted on the Police website. I rescind my earlier comment. Mistakes happen.
    One more step and it's on!

Yep. The LEO's, when doing a civilian class usually put in what they would want, rather than just instruct on what reality is. The oroblem becomes that the class will take that as law because a cop told them that. I understand that some cops want to know if you have a gun and will tell you that you have to inform them. BUT when a law is written, then they can tell us all they want. Until then, I'll let them know ONLY if they ask.

As mentioned earlier, there is no requirement to inform. That said, if I were stopped (and I did not personally know the LEO), my hands would be on the wheel, the dome lights would be on (if nighttime), and I would use this phraseology:

"Officer, I want to inform you that I have a CCW, and I am legally carrying a concealed firearm (NOT weapon). I will comply with any instructions you give me"

This way, we are on good terms to start with.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Here is an interesting possibility. Since Westchester has a new Republican Executive, Rob Astorino, will he somehow ease the onerous CCWE restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    Here is an interesting possibility. Since Westchester has a new Republican Executive, Rob Astorino, will he somehow ease the onerous CCWE restrictions?

why not call the dude and ask???? After all, he works for you
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I had contacted Astorino via Email prior to the elections. The only response I received was that he believed in the 2nd Amendment and that he is a member of the Westchester Firearms Association.

I had sent him the following email:

"On a final note Sir, please note that as a firm supporter of the 2nd Amendment, the State of New York, in particular, Westchester County has in place one of the most onerous pistol permit application process. Specifically if one wishes to obtain an unrestricted or "Full Carry" permit" it is virtually impossible unless one can show "Proper Cause". As you are aware NYS is a "May Issue" state unlike the rest of the country which are "Shall Issue". I was fortunate enough to obtain a "Full Carry" pistol permit due to the security sensitive nature
    of my profession. However, the concept of "Proper Cause" is unjust and unfair. It basically says that my life is worth more than the next person. If one reads the Declaration of Independence it tates that "All Men are Created Equal". Furthermore, the 2nd amendment under the Constitution guarantees our right to bear arms. This was shown in the DC v. Heller case and will once again be shown, God willing, under the Chicago supreme court case scheduled at the end of the year.

What is even more interesting is that there is no consistency in the application process among the counties of NY. If one lives in Dutchess County, obataining a "Full Carry" is virtually granted to an applicant provided he/she has never been convicted of a misdameanor or felony.

In any event I would be happy to discuss this issue if you chose. Just let me know and I will forward my telephone number.

Sincerely,..........."

I have not received any further communications from Rob Astorino.

Imagine that the guy is to busy to have a flunky send a reply

I'd call him, then you can actually talk to a flunky
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    As mentioned earlier, there is no requirement to inform. That said, if I were stopped (and I did not personally know the LEO), my hands would be on the wheel, the dome lights would be on (if nighttime), and I would use this phraseology:

"Officer, I want to inform you that I have a CCW, and I am legally carrying a concealed firearm (NOT weapon). I will comply with any instructions you give me"

This way, we are on good terms to start with.
    ... an unrestricted pistol permit...
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    ... an unrestricted pistol permit...
    Well, I think the LEO would figure, that since I went to all the trouble of informing, he/she would assume it was an unrestricted permit.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I learned a long time a go to never volunteer any information to Law enforcement. Cooperate without being disrepectful

Answer the questions they ask, but never volunteer information.

That's my policy.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links