Anyone Pulled Over by New York LEO while CCW?

This is a discussion on Anyone Pulled Over by New York LEO while CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a New York State resident I am very curious to hear stories of fellow NY CCW being pulled over by LEOs. Although I have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Pulled Over by New York LEO while CCW?

Anyone Pulled Over by New York LEO while CCW?

As a New York State resident I am very curious to hear stories of fellow NY CCW being pulled over by LEOs. Although I have not been pulled over for several years, statistics will inevitably prevail!

Your stories are greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

Before I became a LEO in NY when I was pulled over on a car stop I never informed the LEO I was armed unless I knew I was going to be asked to step out of the vehicle. I feel you are making a simple traffic stop into something more than it should be and raise the risks of a bad interaction with the cop stopping you. In NYS you must inform, but concealed is concealed.
    One more step and it's on!

If ever pulled over, I will inform of my CCW. If so, In addition to my driver license will hand over my CCW license and inform of a loaded CCW. Proper phraesology is key. Something like the following:

"Sir, I am lawfully carrying a loaded firearm on my person. My CCW license is an unrestricted "Full Carry" issued by Westchester County."

Of course while the conversation is taking place, my hand is on the steering wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions.

For those who are unfamiliar with the term Full Carry, it is the equivalent of a unrestricted CCW license. Only in New York.

I welcome other phraseology to assist me .

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Before I became a LEO in NY when I was pulled over on a car stop I never informed the LEO I was armed unless I knew I was going to be asked to step out of the vehicle. I feel you are making a simple traffic stop into something more than it should be and raise the risks of a bad interaction with the cop stopping you. In NYS you must inform, but concealed is concealed.
    I am a former New York LEO, and I have had an unrestricted pistol permit for for over thirty years. Back then cops could buy handguns "on the tin", so I got a permit to cover myself if I ever left the job, which I eventually did.

You are not required in New York to inform a police officer that you are carrying a sidearm. So if stopped, I keep the information to myself, unless I was ordered out of the vehicle. While socializing with my former partners, the subject comes up, but to a man they could care less.

I always found it facinating that with all the stringent gun laws in New York State, the information regarding a CCL does not show up on a data check of driver's license....seems that would be usefull information to a LEO on a traffic stop

VIP Member
    Not that I carry in NYS or ever will, since I have no intention of ever moving there, but can you give a reference that you must inform in NY. Only reference I found said no requirement to inform.

I have been stopped twice in NY (NOT NY CITY). The last time was over 20 years ago. No need to inform, but in both cases I did.

Both were for speeding, but I have since learned better, and in each case I was issued a ticket and that was all.

One stop was by a local police officer and the other by a NY State Trooper.

bosco

Better check again before you start quoting law, you DO NOT have to inform in NYS.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Just two weeks ago I was stopped. I turned off the engine and sat with my hands on the wheel and fingers extended while officer approached. I told him that I wanted to inform him that I was carrying concealed and he thanked me for the heads-up. I asked if he wanted to see my permit and he politely declined and told me to relax and that he was only stopping me to inform me that I had outstanding parking tickets (his plate hunter cameras spotted me) and my registration was suspended for non-payment of parking tickets. He let me go and suggested I get them resolved quickly. I went next day and paid nearly $300. He never asked me to step out, show ID, or surrender weapon. He was a nice guy. From now on I'm going top pay my tickets when they are $30 and not $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    If ever pulled over, I will inform of my CCW. If so, In addition to my driver license will hand over my CCW license and inform of a loaded CCW. Proper phraesology is key. Something like the following:

"Sir, I am lawfully carrying a loaded firearm on my person. My CCW license is an unrestricted "Full Carry" issued by Westchester County."

Of course while the conversation is taking place, my hand is on the steering wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions.

For those who are unfamiliar with the term Full Carry, it is the equivalent of a unrestricted CCW license. Only in New York.

"I have a concealed weapons license and I am armed!"

I never have been but my dad was. It was an Oneida county sheriff. She came up to his window, he informed her that he had a legally registered handgun on his hip and she told him to leave it where it was and asked for his license and registration stuff. No issues, she was friendly about it. Still gave him a ticket

about two months ago I was driving down the road (Creek Street to be exact) on my Goldwing and went through some "S" turns and Low sided........

don't worry the bike is fine, other than a bent front left crash bar.

Me! on the other hand got some nasty road-rash on my left shoulder, cracked a couple of ribs and sprained my left ankle.

My wife got a very small scratch on her left ring finger, that was it?

the 'bambulance folks showed up and asked me to remove my shirt, I informed them that could not because i was carrying a firearm. The said "thats nice, get in the bus and take it off in there"

i said "okee-dokee"

A nice Monroe county Sheriff showed up and asked for my drivers license, I handed him my drivers license and my permit. he looked at it kind of curiously when I said "I'm carrying the Ruger LCP"

The nice officer said "you sure? or should I go start looking through that nice ladies front yard for a hand gun"

I started to laugh and said "nope I got it on my right hip, thats the third thing I checked after my wife, then the bike"

he said "ok, here take this I don't need it (He handed back my permit ) I'll be right back" ( I presume he went and checked out my license)

Long story short, most NYS cops could careless you have a firearm? which seems kind of weird because of the way the legislature is trying there best to restrict hand guns
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Can anyone cite reference to New York state law that states no need to inform leo if pulled over?

Can anyone cite reference to New York state law that states no need to inform leo if pulled over?

Here, knockyourselfout

Laws of New York

Go to-----> Penal---->{scroll down to}-----> article 265.........which pretty much covers NYS hand gun laws

I do not believe there is any mention of notifying LEO
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Typically the way laws work is that there's only a law when something is required or prohibited. In states where notification is mandated, there's a law requiring it. In states where it isn't required, there's no such law. Nobody's going to come up with a specific law that says you don't have to notify, just like nobody's going to come up with a law that says you can make coffee in the morning. You can just do it, since there's no law about it.

"I have a gun!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links