Good News about FL non-resident permit in LA

This is a discussion on Good News about FL non-resident permit in LA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently, it was posted that Louisiana had no longer accepted non-resident Florida permits. I talk to one of the Lieutenants at the Louisiana State Patrol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recently, it was posted that Louisiana had no longer accepted non-resident Florida permits.

I talk to one of the Lieutenants at the Louisiana State Patrol (LSP) this morning. Nice guy. Was greatly concerned about the problem and stated that he was in a meeting yesterday concerning the issue of non-acceptance. He also stated that he used to be in charge of the Concealed Weapons Permit division.

During the meeting, it was discussed about placing a hold on the decision of non-acceptance of the Florida non-resident permit until the new legislative session is convenied. Also to be discussed was that in the event that the permit will not be accepted in the future, then they may give us a 6-month grace period to apply and receive a Louisiana permit.

I revisited the LSP website just before writing this post and noted that the news item stating the non-acceptance has been removed from the site.

He thanked me for my input. I have his e-mail address so I may keep informed on the issue. Of course, if I find anything else from him, I will post it.

Regards,

NavDoc
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

That is good news even if it may only be temporary.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Thanks NavDoc for the update.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Better than a sharp stick in the eye, at least for 6 months, eh?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks NavDoc that's good info to know. I'm hoping to get my out of state FL permit sometime soon!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Louisiana needs to get a grip; as it stands, it is legal to open carry in LA anyway, even for nonresidents. So all they are doing is creating more gray areas for gun owners to have to deal with.

If the idiots stop honoring your license; just tuck in the shirt and press on with open carry. You Cajuns need to get to writing your legislators and vote to get this corrected.
    John Luttrell

I'm still unclear on this:
    Does this apply ONLY to LA residents using a FL permit as their only permit or basically LA will no longer accept non-resident permits period(FL,UT,VA,exc.,making them a "yellow" state on handgunlaw)?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I'm still unclear on this:
    Does this apply ONLY to LA residents using a FL permit as their only permit or basically LA will no longer accept non-resident permits period(FL,UT,VA,exc.,making them a "yellow" state on handgunlaw)?
    The way I read it, it only applies to LA Residents; of course only time will tell how it will read by the time it actually comes to surface in a few months.
    John Luttrell

I read it as applying to all non-resident permits from Fl, regardless of the holder's residency. When I called the LSP yesterday, I was told Col. Edmonson and one of the sergeants were in a meeting with the legal dept for most of the day. I think someone stepped on his something or other. I've got calls/emails into the local and national Congressional representatives to let them know what's going on. Hopefully Col. Edmonson will back the heck off and be put in his place.

I am only aware of this issue applying to Louisiana residents with a non-resident Florida license. I do not have any info on other states, however, the "writing may be on the wall". Nevada dumped Florida non-resident due to it being valid for 7 years. Nevada wanted recertification sooner than that.

Personally, I'm applying for a Louisiana license just to play it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    Louisiana needs to get a grip; as it stands, it is legal to open carry in LA anyway, even for nonresidents. So all they are doing is creating more gray areas for gun owners to have to deal with.

If the idiots stop honoring your license; just tuck in the shirt and press on with open carry. You Cajuns need to get to writing your legislators and vote to get this corrected.
    Although Louisiana may be an open carry state, I do not have a warm fuzzy drawing more attention to myself by open carrying. It is not worth the hassle. Some Anti will call the police with a "man with a gun" report or the stares and having all the questions, "are you a cop"?

It is your choice to display your second admendment rights and state laws, however, it is not my way.

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    Although Louisiana may be an open carry state, I do not have a warm fuzzy drawing more attention to myself by open carrying. It is not worth the hassle. Some Anti will call the police with a "man with a gun" report or the stares and having all the questions, "are you a cop"?

It is your choice to display your second admendment rights and state laws, however, it is not my way.

I'm with you on that; I'd rather not open carry, but would in a heart beat, if denied concealed carry. I live in Waskom, Texas and am in Shreveport/Bossier a lot; the area's crime rate is just too high to be unarmed. Shreveport is pretty carry friendly, but Bossier City needs an enema in their city government. Their River Board Walk doesn't even allow off duty LEO's to carry on premises!
    John Luttrell

VIP Member
    Thanks for following up. Have they got nothing better to do than shuffle permit regs.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    I started the other thread about the news that FLA non-resident permits were invalid here. It came out so fast and with such a finality that I was concerned that someone visiting here might get in trouble while not knowing that this change had taken place. There sure wasn't any grace period given.

Yes it is correct that the notice has been taken off of the LSP website, so it's apparent that non-res is okay for now. AFAIK it will likely be addressed in the next legislative session in the Spring of 2010. Apparently the change that LSP wanted to implement is beyond their authority.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    During the meeting, it was discussed about placing a hold on the decision of non-acceptance of the Florida non-resident permit until the new legislative session is convenied.
    Did you happen to point out to him that, per R.S. 40:1379.3(T)(1), the Louisiana State Police do not have the discretionary authority to issue such a "decision" in the first place?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links