Sheeple in Monterey

This is a discussion on Sheeple in Monterey within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I took the family to Monterey for the weekend. We spent Friday afternoon and evening walking around Cannery Row and having dinner at Bubba ...

Thread: Sheeple in Monterey

Sheeple in Monterey

So, I took the family to Monterey for the weekend. We spent Friday afternoon and evening walking around Cannery Row and having dinner at Bubba Gumps. Saturday we went to the Aquarium. What I really paid close attention to was how people just plain are oblivious to their surroundings. I could have been walking down the street carrying in the open and nobody would have noticed. It's no wonder people get mugged and robbed so often.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    I love Bubba Gumps. Give me an order of "Boat Trash" and a Lava Flow and I am a happy camper....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Good place to be carrying
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I spent a year and a hafe working on the Q boats for the Army at the Coast Guard pier in Monterey. I use to run 5 miles every other day from the pier threw cannery row past the Aquarium...that was under construction at the time, to the point and back. I was stationed at Fort Ord at the time and me and my buds would frequently visit the hogs breath inn, get hammered and demand that we meet Clint Eastwood. Then we would get thrown out and head to a dive called the yellow submarine had a lot of fun there.
    I can remember going threw BNOC (Basic None Commissioned Officers Course) as an E5 at fort Ord. I was in the transportation field in a water craft unit. One thing I wound find out about the 2nd infantry light fighters quick, is that they walk EVERYWHERE!
    We went on a 20 mile forced march one time and because I'm 6ft 2in they decided that I would carry the 7.62 fully automatic M60 machinegun weighting in at a whopping 18.75 pounds. I was digging that for the first 10 miles and then the thing got heavy...lol
    I tried to tell the guys that I drove boats for the Army.... I don't walk! They went vary interested in my story...lol
    Any way, Hearing about Monterey and Fort Ord and California just brought back some good memories.
    I had a lot of fun there.
    Hope I didn't bore you.
    James
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD IS BETWEEN A MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN.
    -Lady Liberty-
    United Stats Army,(Ret)

VIP Member
    This time next Sunday evening I will be in Monterey. I served as a Training Officer and then as a Property Book Officer at Ft. Ord in 1971-74. This will be my first trip back to Monterey in 32 years. My wife has heard my tale of Ft. Ord and the other areas of Monterey County and has never been there. We will only get one full day there, but it will be good just to see it. We will be going up to Washington on Tuesday to visit friends in Vancouver. I have been looking forward to getting back to Monterey for about 8 months now. We finally decided on the date back in early October and it has been fun trying to figure out what has changed and where to go with so little time. I suspect that this will be the first trip because we won't get everything done. So I may get back to the land of fruit and nuts again next year.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I'm sure it's changed from the last time I was there. Have fun.
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD IS BETWEEN A MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN.
    -Lady Liberty-
    United Stats Army,(Ret)

Assistant Administrator
    I reckon we all notice this - looking around us.

View it this way - all the sheep are victim fodder and in a sense choose to be - that takes the heat off us considerably! Increases our chances of situation avoidance no end
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It is so true...nobody seems to notice anything. Can it be that we are just all too good at concealment? I have to admit that I havent "made" anybody lately

Took a walk with a few family members after our big Easter feed. I of course was the only one keeping an eye open for trouble. During the course of our walk we were passed at different times by two cars with banger or banger wannabes inside. Once again, of course, I was the only one who noticed and kept an eye on them. After our walk I pointed this out to everyone and their jaws dropped.

The sheep are grazeing everywhere these days.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

We always point this out to folks in our concealed carry classes. We tell 'em to go to their nearest grocery store parking lot and watch the people going in and out of the store. Most are completely oblivious to their surroundings, and, after a few minutes of watching, the ones who *are* aware will stick out like a sore thumb. These are either the sheep dogs or the wolves. This is to emphasize the fact that by deciding to carry, they have just elected themselves sheep dogs, at least for their immediate family.

Quite the eye opener.

My g/f was raised in Monterey/Half Moon Bay and we may be going back if she gets her way and can go back to DLI. The politics in CA don't excite me but I love how larger-then-life and beautiful the state is and by then will be much more competitive for LE jobs so hopefully the gun laws won't have an affect on me.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Links