Choosing the right gun

This is a discussion on Choosing the right gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you say "Small but Powerful" I have to think of my Taurus PT145 or my S&W CS45. Either would fit that need in my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing the right gun

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    When you say "Small but Powerful" I have to think of my Taurus PT145 or my S&W CS45.

Either would fit that need in my opinion.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JAB3 View Post
    hey all

looking for a small but powerful pistol to carry while backpacking threw the woods with my family. never cared much when i was by myself, but i do see some wierdos out there sometimes

thanks

i should have added that its people i worry about, not the wild life. and its mostly just the forest preserves around the house
    If bears or mt lion are not a concern for you any good self defense handgun that you consider comfortable to carry should do ya. I happen to like revolvers and I consider my SP101 a good gun for my hiking excursions. It's not too heavy for carry and gives you that 357 punch if you want it.

EdC
    Small but powerful, no critters, just people? I think you'll want to consider a relatively lightweight gun as well. Therefore, I think it will be hard to beat a Glock 19, or comparable 9mm XD. With a good +P hollowpoint, 15 rd magazine capacity, 4" bbl, it's just a good, all around self defense pistol. If that's too big, drop down to a comparable sub-compact. Myself, I'm surprised how little my G19 seems when compared to my XD45C.

Good luck, and be sure to try some out before buying, if possible.

I carry a XD 40 Subcompact [which is the same frame as the 9mm]. A more interesting question is where to carry it. Carrying on my pack belt will expose it to mud and dirt. I have started using a small binoculars case which holds the XD 40 SC just right and proper.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

National Forests for the most part follow the law of the state. If the state allows CC in state forests then your good to go in the National Forest.

Now national park carry doesnt come into effect until Feb 2010.

I carry in MO and in AR in national and stat forests. I frequently visit the Ozark Highlands Trail in the Ozark National Forest. I am always packing but mine is readily accessible. I just make it where my shirt covers it.

I carry a 55lb pack excluding my glock.

I AM NOT PACKING FOR CRITTERS.

Have fun and enjoy the outdoors!

I go with S&W mod 60 loaded with 158 HP carry a few shotshells.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I carry a small Walther P-22 when in the boonies. It is light weight and compact. We have no bears.

10 rounds of .22 HP's provide ample "people protection" and the .22lr is good for plinking. I often slip a 50 round box of ammo in my pocket as well.

If one gets lost or stranded, the .22 is good for taking small game, and allows for "signaling shots" if necessary.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Small but powerful, no critters, just people? I think you'll want to consider a relatively lightweight gun as well. Therefore, I think it will be hard to beat a Glock 19, or comparable 9mm XD. With a good +P hollowpoint, 15 rd magazine capacity, 4" bbl, it's just a good, all around self defense pistol. If that's too big, drop down to a comparable sub-compact. Myself, I'm surprised how little my G19 seems when compared to my XD45C.

Good luck, and be sure to try some out before buying, if possible.

This pretty much covers everything I was thinking. Glock 19 is one of the most affordable, durable and all around versitle pistols available. I think it'll satisfy your trail needs and still be a great gun for home defense and target practice/sport.

I'm well under 30lb in loaded weight (including food and water) for multi-night three season trips. I just can't justify adding pounds of weight for people that might threaten me in the backcountry.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    I'm well under 30lb in loaded weight (including food and water) for multi-night three season trips. I just can't justify adding pounds of weight for people that might threaten me in the backcountry.
    You're backpacking in secluded areas where help is unlikely and you don't carry a weapon? What's another 2lbs in weight? Please dont say it will slow you down... and if it does slow you down... in time your body will grow stronger to handle the additional weight. Not trying to offend but come on man I've encountered some serious nutjobs while backpacking -- your life is worth the extra 2lbs in weight so you can protect yourself

Quote Originally Posted by SnubMan View Post
    You're backpacking in secluded areas where help is unlikely and you don't carry a weapon? What's another 2lbs in weight? Please dont say it will slow you down... and if it does slow you down... in time your body will grow stronger to handle the additional weight. Not trying to offend but come on man I've encountered some serious nutjobs while backpacking -- your life is worth the extra 2lbs in weight so you can protect yourself
    No, I don't carry a weapon. Personally, I don't feel threatened by the people I meet in the backcountry. Not even in the slightest.

I've been hiking since I was 6 and never met anyone that worried me at all.

This is a backpacking argument, not a carry argument, but I love the people that say you should get stronger if you're worried about weight. Saving weight adds to the enjoyment. It isn't nearly as much of a struggle, I can hike faster, further, and have more energy reserves to enjoy myself in camp.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

No, I don't carry a weapon. Personally, I don't feel threatened by the people I meet in the backcountry. Not even in the slightest.

I've been hiking since I was 6 and never met anyone that worried me at all.

This is a backpacking argument, not a carry argument, but I love the people that say you should get stronger if you're worried about weight. Saving weight adds to the enjoyment. It isn't nearly as much of a struggle, I can hike faster, further, and have more energy reserves to enjoy myself in camp.

im not a serious backpacker. i live in chicago and there are plenty of nut jobs wandering around the forest preserves. it never bothered me when i was by myself but know im a target with a 8 month baby on my back . i just want to be prepared

thanks for all the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by JAB3 View Post
    hey all

looking for a small but powerful pistol to carry while backpacking threw the woods with my family. never cared much when i was by myself, but i do see some wierdos out there sometimes

thanks

i should have added that its people i worry about, not the wild life. and its mostly just the forest preserves around the house
    It's people I worry about as well! Backpacking and Glock just go together. Matter of fact, the two should be synonymous.

I have never felt threatened by people on the trail either. But the one time you need to defend yourself you may be unable too.
    Hope you never see that day.
    With all the illegals and criminals at large its getting worse every day. Who knows what you will find out there....

30lb is nice. 3-4 days I carry 50lbs plus. But I weigh 280lbs and eat a house a day especially when hiking.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Good recommendations but personally I would prefer a quality revolver in .357 with a 4-inch barrel, more ammo choices and less prone to failure. Be sure to carry a couple of speed loaders for spare or different ammo.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links