TX CHL Update

TX CHL Update

This is a discussion on TX CHL Update within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I finally got to take the class last Saturday. It was a very long day but I enjoyed it. Lots of interesting info. (BTW ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TX CHL Update

TX CHL Update

So I finally got to take the class last Saturday. It was a very long day but I enjoyed it. Lots of interesting info. (BTW if anyone takes the class at The Bullet Trap in Plano, Poor Richard's Cafe one block south on Dobie is awesome for lunch. In and out on time and great food.)

After the instructor described the proficiency test I realized I will need to put in some practice before taking it. Of course I already expected as much.

I had not realized, or had forgotten, that I need to take it with a semiauto if I want to carry that. I had been planning to use a revolver.

Fortunately my wife and I ran into a friend and his wife at dinner the next day and were talking about apt. security in general. I had decided not to mention the CHL thing. Turns out his wife mentioned that she had taken the class years ago, so I added that I just had. She then mentioned that she had borrowed a semi for the test for the reasons I just mentioned. And I said I was thinking I would do the same thing and would probably see if I could borrow my brother in laws. Then my friend said "you can use one of mine." Turns out my friend has a Glock 19 (mine on layaway is the 27) and I now have it to take to the range on Saturday.

Can't wait.

Now I just have to practice, take the test, and send in the paperwork. I'm planning to take the test a week from Monday. And I guess turnaround time right now is running about 5 months here in TX because the instructor said one of his students got his this month after sending his paperwork in back in May.

SO I"m going to the range saturday, buying 100 rds of 9 and practicing at 3, 7, and 20 yards. Any suggestions?

VIP Member
    Keep the finger off the trigger untill you're ready to take the shot and the gun is on target. Be safe and have fun. That gun will make you an expert in no time. Good luck.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck, you will do fine.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Thanks! The coordination of finger off the trigger in the down position, finger on the trigger on target, back to finger off and down is where i"m most worried I'm going to screw up. The instructor said far more of the failures are due to a safety screw up than to bad placement.

South Texas CHL

I completed my CHL in July. If I remember correctly the state has to complete your application within 60 days of recieving all your paper work. As I said I took the class in July and got word on the 59th day that I was approved. I had heard stories about it taking many months because of a big back log. Good luck, hope it doesn't take to long for you.

Cliff

I understand the Texas DPS hired extra help a couple of months ago to work down the backlog. Recent reports on the TexasCHLForum indicate that recent applications are being processed in about 60 days.
    Paul
    Springfield XD(M) 9mm, Springfield XD Sub-compact 9mm, Kel Tec PF9
    09/16/2009: USPS Delivered Application
    10/09/2009: Received Pin # in the mail, status 'processing application'
    12/08/2009: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
    12/14/2009: Plastic in hand

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    Practice, practice, practice.
    Good luck, you will do fine.
    Actually, the shooting part is very easy. No suggestions.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

I still think there is a long wait to get Texas CHL . For the shooting you should do fine, keep em in the black, you got to score at least a 175 to pass, 8,9 and 10 rings = 5 points 7 ring = 4 points

CHL SHOOTING test

3 yards, 20 rounds

1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
    2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
    5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time

7 yards, 20 rounds

5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
    2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
    3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
    1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
    5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

15 yards, 10 rounds

2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
    3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time
    5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

Practice and then practice some more. And yes, Poor Richards is awesome. Just don't think about the calorie content you are taking in and you'll be fine.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Just concentrate on being safe and you'll be fine. We had a girl in our class who had never shot before. She passed easily. The shooting portion is much easier than you think.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement and advice!

Haha, my advice is find something to keep you busy for the next.........5-6 months! :) I applied for mine in February of this year and I think I finally got it some time in Late July/August... It's worth the wait though! Good luck. Get everything ready now so you can rock and roll asap after you get it. (weapon, good holster...) Practice carrying around the house.
    Yep, I'm a Male Nurse.....Focker

Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Beretta PX4 9mm
    Ruger LCP
    FN Herstal PBR .308

Glad to hear the good news. Is your wife taking her CHL class also or just you? Wife and I both have CHL and carry, we work together as a team when we are out and about. I once saw myself as her protector now we protect each other and it gives us both a sense of unity and teamwork and common goals. If the worse comes down we have each other's back and I would not want to be the fellow or fellows that take us on. Not living in fear just ready!!!!!

The good news is that the CHL application processing times are much reduced from earlier this year.

Nobody flunked the shooting part of the test,unless you have never shot in your life you should be able to pass it,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links