Grahamsville man carries gun to school

This is a discussion on Grahamsville man carries gun to school within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LINK: Grahamsville man carries gun to school | recordonline.com Grahamsville man carries gun to school I am writing in response to the article in the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grahamsville man carries gun to school

LINK: Grahamsville man carries gun to school | recordonline.com

I am writing in response to the article in the Times Herald Record, posted October 22, 2009, written by Keith Goldberg. The piece relates to a pistol permit holder, who, apparently being somewhat absent-minded that day, walked into a school, armed with what I assume was his legal carry pistol.

During his meeting with the principal, Mr. Jeffrey Bennett, his admitted that he had forgotten to disarm himself prior to entering the building. Mr. Bennett asked for his gun and, according to the Tri-Valley School District Superintendent, Mr. Thomas Palmer, Mr. Daggett “disarmed it” [the pistol], and surrendered it immediately. Mr. Palmer also went on to assure the readers that at no time did Mr. Daggett threaten anyone and made his admission due to his concern about others being uncomfortable with him carrying.

In response to Mr. Daggett’s reasonable surrender, the principal called 911 and locked down the school, possibly in accordance with a general guideline associated with “what to do if there’s a gunman on the loose”. In response to his phone call, the State and New York City Department of Environmental Protection Police arrived and arrested the “suspect”.

Oh…my…God! It appears the media has whipped not only the public at large into a frenzy but the law enforcement community as well. I find Mr. Bennett’s reaction to the situation entirely over-the-top. While Mr. Daggett was breaking the law, in accordance to some BS legislation from Albany, he should have been required to properly surrender the weapon. The school might then have call the local police, not punched 911, hit the alarm bells and lock-down the school. I can see the district LEOs would have arrived and confiscated the gun and perhaps sited the gun owner with possession in a “bad place”. Mr. Daggett should then have been issued a summons and been held to answer for his actions before a judge as to why he carried on school property. Perhaps a 6-month suspension of his license, followed by a fine to re-obtain his gun. Can anyone advise why the DOE was involved? If both the State and City cops arrived on the scene with lights flashing, that must have involved an awful lot of vehicles and manpower. Who decides which department makes the arrest? Rock, paper, scissors perhaps? Did the tax payers of this fine state of ours just throw thousands of dollars at the unnecessary arrest of a single individual? No wonder there’s an outcry about overtime.

What are the consequences of Mr. Daggett’s arrest? Will he have his license suspended? Revoked altogether? How about the next time he applies for a job? Tries to get a loan from his bank? Takes out homeowners insurance? Unless the authorities squash his arrest, he will have a permanent criminal record for being a good guy, with a gun, in the wrong place. This example shows that it does not pay to make such admissions, even if it is “doing the right thing”. He should have more correctly dismissed himself and returned to his car or not mentioned it at all. The occupants of the school would have been ignorant to the fact, considering this state and federal vetted individual had no intention of harming anyone.

Personally I am disgusted by all involved. What are your thoughts on the topic?

2. Remove Ads

I'm concerned about the mind set of Jeffrey. 1st he walks into school with his weapon, a felony in some states. Older guy lot on his mind, always carries, I can see it happening though inexcusable.

Instead of realizing his big mistake and walking back out of the school, like most of us would do. He informs the Principle. In this current day & age did he think this would end well?

Sheep are sheep how they react or are required to respond doesn't surprise me.

Disgusted?-Yes!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

By the way, how do you disarm a gun? I've been trying all morning and my voice is getting hoarse

This wouldn't be the same principal who would expel a kindergartner for drawing a picture of a gun...would it?

Stay away from the...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Handgunner View Post
    LINK: Grahamsville man carries gun to school | recordonline.com

In response to Mr. Daggett’s reasonable surrender, the principal called 911 and locked down the school, possibly in accordance with a general guideline associated with “what to do if there’s a gunman on the loose”. In response to his phone call, the State and New York City Department of Environmental Protection Police arrived and arrested the “suspect”.
    Reminds me of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSAXkp9cqbk

A part in the movie "Monsters Inc." (yes, I watched it and enjoyed it) when one of the monsters turns up with a child's sock on his back and they all freak out and call in the decontamination team. "2319 !" "We've got a 2319! over here!" Shave the guy and shower him down. Rivet a metal dome over the sock and detonate it.
    Ridiculous.

The school does not have a metal detector.
    hmm.
    Maybe Im missing something here.
    Why didnt he just turn around, go back out and take his gun home without saying anything ?

I'm guessing he did not think through the reprocutions of his actions. I'm sure he might have guessed the principal would have asked to see his permit and be warned that he was not allowed a gun on premises. Maybe the principal would have asked him to leave immediately and reschedule the appointment.

A lot of things could have been done differently; instead a bunch of people and LEOs, who in my mind are ignorant reactionaries, caused all Hell to break loose so this man and the rest of the world might be taught a lesson.

VIP Member
    Instead of trusting his legal fate as an honest citizen to a school principle, Dagget would have been better off completing his business at the school, driving to the local PD, walking to the front desk, and turning himself in for his "criminal" action. At least he would've saved the state some gas.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VTXDPM:
    What a perfect comparison! Complete over-reaction by everyone (I'm sure there were helos and fast roping involved in the Grahamsville incident also.) Of course the newspaper doesn't mention anything about the man getting shaved...that will come later, just a few hours before they throw the switch on Old Sparky, giving this man the punishment he is so deserving of and finally rid the world of this diabolic evil...

I live upstate and saw the article too. I posted this comment right afterwards under another thread on this site, "God I Feel Naked" -

"Hey Huston, when you said "I frequently am not aware I have it on me",you reminded me of an article in this morning's paper here in NY - an older gentleman who had a CCW for many years carried into a high school after completely forgetting he had his 38 on him.
    He was there for business with the principal.
    He was sincerely sorry and I'm sure they'll go as easy as they can on him, but he'll at least lose his CCW and probably that gun.

Gotta think think think, all the time."

Six

Unfortunate.

Truly, most CCWers would have turned around and secured the firearm in the car without informing anyone of the infraction.

I always park across the street from my kids school. One time I was picking the kids up and crossing the street when I realized the object banging into my knee in my cargo pockets was my firearm. Thank God I realized it before entering school property.

I can appreciate a person taking responsibility for their actions, when it is so rare a thing in society today. I hope Mr. Bennett's behavior, showing no malicious intent, is taken into account.

Grahamsville, New York, it appears. Suggestion: please note where something has occurred, when posting. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by CenCal View Post
    I hope Mr. Bennett's behavior, showing no malicious intent, is taken into account.
    As "blind" as "justice" is these days, I wouldn't bet on it. More and more often, it seems as if she's wearing the blindfold out of embarrassment.

Still, it sounds highly likely that everything the "suspect" has claimed is true, that he's just a regular person who thought to "come clean" once he had erred. I'm sure everything he has said is true, in that regard. Though, it's also true that he's about to find the degree of humanity in the system. I doubt he'll like what he finds.

It would be nice if the Principal's acknowledgment that he was no danger will rule the day. We'll see. In reality, he wasn't threatening, nor a threat. His actions were consistent with those of an honorable person. He, with that firearm, was almost certainly of far less threat than anyone else in that school who was carrying a pen, that day. I doubt many will see it as such.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Concealed means concealed.

Concealed means concealed.

Something doesn't add up. Why on earth didn't he just excuse himself momentarily and put the thing in his vehicle? Or better yet, just don't say anything in the first place.

He went to the principle's office to complain about kids speeding in front of his house on their way to school? Did I read that right? What did he expect the principle to do, issue them a traffic citation?

Fail all around.

VIP Member
    shoulda gone back to car and locked it up
    geez

what a typical stupid knee-jerk reaction by an ignorant of a principal
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

A perfect example of some Goofball wasting the tax payers money and resources on what by all rights should be considered a honest mistake. Did the guy break the law, sure, but lock down the school and the whole nine yards..

Some of the actions and responses to this type of clear cut mistakes defies common sense IMO.

I feel bad for the guy. IMO, he made three mistakes that day. One, going inside with his pistol. Two, not turning around and disarming once he discovered it, and third letting the guy know.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links