Lost in the mail? Need help

This is a discussion on Lost in the mail? Need help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to post this story to get your opinions and some advice for my brother. About a month ago my brother and I went ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost in the mail? Need help

I wanted to post this story to get your opinions and some advice for my brother.

About a month ago my brother and I went down to the county clerk office to submit our Michigan CPL applications. Last Saturday (1 week from today) I received mine in the mail. I found it a little strange since my brother and I live at the same address and applied on the same day that it didn't come in at the same time.

2 days ago my brother decides to call the county clerks office to find out if he was approved or not. The lady he spoke with told him it was sent out last Friday.

Here's the part of the story that surprised me. She continued to advise him that he waits 2 weeks. If he hasn't received it within 2 weeks he should go to the local PD and report it. He should take the copy of the report to the county clerks office and he would have to reapply and pay the $105 application fee again.

Is this normal? I can understand that my brother could have made up the "I haven't received it" story to replace a lost card, but it seems that it may have gotten lost in the mail if they sent it out and it hasn't gotten here yet.

Any advise for my brother would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Well if he paid by check or money order he can cancel them. Try to get his money back.

Seems like a bad deal to me.

Too bad he wasn't in Utah. My wife got hers but they had her birthdate wrong. It had her at under 20. Our youngest kid is older than that.

Anyway, a phone call got her a new one in two days, no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by futinshool View Post
    Too bad he wasn't in Utah. My wife got hers but they had her birthdate wrong. It had her at under 20. Our youngest kid is older than that.

Anyway, a phone call got her a new one in two days, no charge.
    How did you get the wife to give that one up?

VIP Member
    Sounds fishy to me. If you lose your permit and have to get a replacement do you have to go through the whole application thing again, or can you just file and pay for a duplicate?

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmo View Post
    Well if he paid by check or money order he can cancel them. Try to get his money back.

Seems like a bad deal to me.
    Its not the check thats missing it is the permit

DM2
    I don't know what county you are in, but a friend of mine moved in between applying and receiving her CPL. They sent the license to the old address. When she called Wayne county they told her to just come downtown to pick it up. Paying the $105 again seems wrong especially if your brother still has his receipt.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Cancel the first check and pay it again.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think he got some bum advice from the lady when he spoke to her on the phone. It sounds like another call is in order. It just doesn't sound like a valid procedure for an official document sent to someone form the county or state. JMO
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    It might not be that unuaual for them to not arrive at the same time.
    I am from Macomb County, I applied for my permit at the same time and date that my husband and father applied. Here we have to appear before a Gun Board to get our permits. We applied together January 29th, I had my review and recieved my permit March 27th, hubby had his review and got his permit April17th, Dad finally got his on May 22nd.
    It is odd that she told him he would have to reapply and pay the fee a second time. I would talk to someone there in person, possibly a supervisor and find out for sure, I've never heard of reapplying for a lost permit, whether it was lost in the mail or the person it was issued to.
    It does seem that you are lucky, a short wait and no review by the County Gun Board.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I live in michigan too and I have never heard of having to repay. A friend of mine lost his and just went to the PD and made a report and went to get a new one. What part of Michigan are you in?
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Before you do anything, wait awhile. The post office is notorious for misdirecting mail. It may turn up in a couple of weeks.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Thanks for all the response guys (and girl)!

I'll have to pass this info along to my bro.

The worst part is that my brother and I have been long time handgun owners but he decided to apply for a CPL for work, and convinced me to come along for the ride. Getting mine first and him still not having his kinda bummed him out. Hopefully it all works out ok.

Thanks again!

btw, I'm in Oakland county.

Quote Originally Posted by ming View Post
    How did you get the wife to give that one up?
    She still has it. They didn't ask for it back.

Also contact the Post Office and see if it is there. See if they can track it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links