Concealed Carry in Montana

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry in Montana within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I have been all over the Internet trying to find some details regarding a sort of detailed question about concealed carry in Montana. ...

Thread: Concealed Carry in Montana

Hi All, I have been all over the Internet trying to find some details regarding a sort of detailed question about concealed carry in Montana. I am currently a resident of Washington but will be a resident in Montana in about a year. Time to leave the big city life. So here are my questions.

1. I know that I am covered in Montana with my Washington carry permit. Is it legal in Montana for me to carry concealed in a vehicle if I have a passenger that has been convicted of a felony in Montana about 10 years ago?

2. In the future when I move to Montana and have a Montana issued carry permit can I carry in a vehicle when I have a passenger that has been convicted of a felony in Montana about 10 years ago?

The reason I ask is that I have an old friend who lives in Montana that was convicted in the past of fraud. Long story but they pleaded no contest and a felony conviction was passed down to them Not a violence felony or anything like that. I am just curious to know if I am within the laws eyes if we are riding together in a vehicle. If anyone could point information to me it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    first place to start is: Handgunlaw.us

Read both Washington's and Montana's. It is a good idea to look up the laws directly as well (and the above website will tell you where...)

I don't see what your friend being a felon has to do with you carrying. As long as you don't let them have possession of your firearm I don't see an issue. I wouldn't leave it locked in the car and let them borrow my keys either.

just me .02 cents... I am not a lawyer

oh and welcome to the forum!

As long as he is not in direct control of a firearm,his being in close proximity to you is not against the law,he may also look at getting his felony expunged since it wasn't a violent felony and if he hasn't been in anymore trouble it's pretty easy to do
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Time to call the lawyer. Might be illegal for your friend. Why doesn't he try to get his record cleared?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Welcome to thew forum.

As to your question, as long as you maintain control of the weapon and do not leave it unattended in his presence you should be fine. That being said, IANAL so best to do further research yourself.

Thanks for all the input guys. I knew I cam to the right place!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Montana has NO laws prohibitting the carrying of weapons in vehicles; concealed, unconcealed, doesn't matter. If its not prohibitted by statute, it cannot be illegal.

Some of our laws just don't make any sense--cannot carry concealed in resturants that serve alcohol; cannot carry concealed in banks; BUT there is NO STATUTE that prohibits open carry in a bar or bank--go figure.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Sponsored Links