Question for South Carolina CWP holders

This is a discussion on Question for South Carolina CWP holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In South Carolina we can't carry in a resturant that serves alcohol. (We REALLY need to change that law) What if, you are in downtown ...

Thread: Question for South Carolina CWP holders

In South Carolina we can't carry in a resturant that serves alcohol. (We REALLY need to change that law)

What if, you are in downtown Greenville at a resturant that serves alcohol BUT, you sit at a table outside on the public sidewalk?

You are technically on the public sidewalk and perfectly legal to carry. If you never set foot inside are you okay to carry, provided you don't drink?

Concealed is concealed..... This is truly one piece of the law that HAS to be changed.

Of course I can't promote you breaking the law.....
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I have been wondering the same thing myself.

I too, would like to know the answer to this question.. I live between easley and greenville and visit G'ville often. And getting my CWP soon so it wold be nice to know..
    "I would rather be Judged by 12, Than to be Carried by 6"

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good question to pose to your AG.

As long as your on a public sidewalk you should be OK, but the AG can give you a definite answer one way or the other.

Sounds Reasonable

I am not familiar with the details of the law but it sounds like "outside" of the premises would be ok. To me it would be the same thing as walking past the "outside" of any not allowed to carry place. Again this is just my gut feeling and not necessarily the facts. I am interested in seeing what someone in the know has to say.
    "In a moment of crisis you will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training". http://www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com

My instructor told my class that the law on restuarants that serve liquer and cc is "vague" at best. He also said it needs to be clarified because it is so open to interpretation by the prosecutor who might decide to push the issue if he/she were anti-gun and that it probably won't be clarified unless someone is willing to become a "test case".
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

My instructer said the same thing. In fact if you go to the SLED site the prohibition about restaurants serving alchol is not even on the main list of places where you may not carry. For a short time Grassroots SC stoped pushing becauase some said it was really legal and the prohibition came about for crimes.

I decided not to become a test case. The senator who sponsered the CWP on school property revison is also involved in changing the restaurant rules.

One has to realize that the "overworked" SC legislation ends in June and does not start again till January.

While I would NEVER advocate anyone (including me) break the law...

As more and more s**t goes down in more and more places, I am becoming less and less concerned about the pure, basic laws of where and when I can legally carry.

Concealed is concealed, and, if done properly, no one will ever know - unless you need it to do something like, oh...let's say - SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    From a legal standpoint, many cities require that restaurants have a permit to put tables on the sidewalk. I would think dining on the sidewalk under the appropriate permit would make the sidewalk part of the restaurant for legal purposes.

just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    My instructer said the same thing. In fact if you go to the SLED site the prohibition about restaurants serving alchol is not even on the main list of places where you may not carry. For a short time Grassroots SC stoped pushing becauase some said it was really legal and the prohibition came about for crimes.

I decided not to become a test case. The senator who sponsered the CWP on school property revison is also involved in changing the restaurant rules.

One has to realize that the "overworked" SC legislation ends in June and does not start again till January.
    Ditto... Said my piece on this subject many times. The AG is the only thing really makes this law exist really... but who wants to challenge?

Sponsored Links