have you cooked your gun yet ?

This is a discussion on have you cooked your gun yet ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by fwellers When I bought my j frame the other day, I was talking to the guy about a galco side scabard holster ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: have you cooked your gun yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
    When I bought my j frame the other day, I was talking to the guy about a galco side scabard holster they had. I mentioned the stiff leather, and he said he likes to stick the holster ( gun inside ) in the oven at about 140degrees for an hour to get it softer and molded to the gun.
    He even said it's ok to leave the rounds in, as long as the temp doesn't get above about 140.
    I don't care what he said, I would never purposely heat my rounds like that, but was just wondering if anyone has actually initiated their gun/holster combo by fire like that.
    (1) it will take much, much more than 140 degrees for the ammo to rupture, it does not "go off". Been proved rather decisively by the MythBusters.

(2) putting a gun in the oven for any reason is stupid.

(3) baking a holster is stupid.

(4) Your friend is stupid - and dangerous.

(5) find new shooting friends
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

GM
    I cannot tell you what to do or not, but I never should follow and advise like that. The ammo will not go off at that temp, but it still is a VERY BAD practice not matter what! Why not get a quality holster molded to your weapon? Now, the other question is, should a person that gives an advice like that own a weapon at all?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    The method I have found that works best for me is to wrap 2-3 layers of plastic wrap around the gun and force it into the holster leaving it there for a couple of days.

Just like a new pair of shoes, you have to stretch it a little bit to get a good fit.
    Proud NRA member

Administrator
    fwellers did not state anywhere in his post that the person giving him that advice was his friend.

Quote Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
    When I bought my j frame the other day, I was talking to the guy about a galco side scabard holster they had. I mentioned the stiff leather, and he said he likes to stick the holster ( gun inside ) in the oven at about 140degrees for an hour to get it softer and molded to the gun.
    He even said it's ok to leave the rounds in, as long as the temp doesn't get above about 140.
    I don't care what he said, I would never purposely heat my rounds like that, but was just wondering if anyone has actually initiated their gun/holster combo by fire like that.
    This bonehead sounds like my cousin when we were kids.
    I leave the house one day to go for a walk with his brother. As we're leaving hes walking around with a propane torch and a shotgun shell and said something about an experiment of some sort.
    As we're about 150-200 yards up the hill I guess the experiment went horribly wrong based on the small explosion we heard from the house.
    Gun powder and heat dont mix ;)

WHAT - THE - HECK - MAKES - THESE - PEOPLE - TICK?!?!?!

I can't help thinking this guy was pulling your leg - it's OK to leave the mag in? To do what - save the hour-and-a-half required to put it back in??

I want to bang my head on the desk when I run into guys like that....
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Most ovens won't get to a low enough temperature for this procedure (mine only goes to 170), but if yours goes lower then it may be effective. Ammunition in the gun is not necessary (duh) but does not present a safety issue. The oven mimicks putting the holstered firearm in a glove compartment on a hot day, and when you use the Galco quik draw or a leather conditioner, this will quicken the breaking in process. If you have ever left a gun in your car during the summer without shade, it has likely been in much hotter conditions. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of mild heat just use the conditioner instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    (2) putting a gun in the oven for any reason is stupid.
    How do you come to that conclusion?

If you've heard of Militec-1 dry metal lubricant, that is how you apply it. It is applied to the gun and all parts and then baked in the oven.

Hundreds of thousands of shooters including those in the military swear by the stuff.

Check out their website here.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks for the replies. It seems that nobody really does that particiular thing to condition their holsters.
    I agree with Titleist ( and some others ) that at 140degrees ( if you can trust the oven's thermometer ), no harm will come to the weapon or the holster.
    The bullet thing, I guess the young man was just telling me that in converation to make a point about 140 degrees not being hot enough to damage anything, and being about the temp your car can get on a hot day. I doubt he actually puts bullets in the oven. Why would anybody do that ? hahaha.

My oven is older, and I wouldn't trust the thermometer in it. So I doubt I would do that.
    Perhaps though there can be a thread on the best ways to condition/break in a new leather holster. Might be very similar to the way baseball players break in new mitts.

Anyway, I didn't want to start the thread in order to bash the young man at the store. He hardly deserved that. He was just giving me some possible suggestions. I was just checking if anyone else had heard of that or done that.

Thanks.
    floyd

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Most ovens won't get to a low enough temperature for this procedure (mine only goes to 170), but if yours goes lower then it may be effective. Ammunition in the gun is not necessary (duh) but does not present a safety issue. The oven mimicks putting the holstered firearm in a glove compartment on a hot day, and when you use the Galco quik draw or a leather conditioner, this will quicken the breaking in process. If you have ever left a gun in your car during the summer without shade, it has likely been in much hotter conditions. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of mild heat just use the conditioner instead.

I just bought a galco holster last week for my glock. When I first pulled the holster outta the box my gun would not even slide in halfway. I read the instructions re: Holster Fit/Break

1. Loosen (do not remove) any tension units on the holster.
    2. Hold the holster with your left hand.
    3. Place two fingers of your right hand into the holster.
    4. Put your fingers against the leather inside the holster near the mouth.
    5. Push firmly to "stretch" the leather outward.
    6. Move your fingers forward an inch staying inside the holster and repeat step 4.
    7. Repeat this stretching process until you have "stretched" the entire inside of the holster front and back.
    8. Try the unloaded firearm in the holster again. Repeat the process as necessary. NOTE - the procedure is done from the inside of the holster pushing out.

When I first got my holster I thought they sent me the wrong size and that there was no way my gun would ever fit. I followed these steps a few times, the holster now fits perfectly
    Go Hokies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Soak the leather in warm water then put your piece in a thin plastic bag (Bread bag?) and put it into the holster. Let it dry overnight.

Worked for me.
    +1

You can also use the handle end of a butter knife, or what ever you want to burnish the leather around the pistol to make it even tighter, then use a hair dryer to partly dry the holster. At some point you can remover the pistol and use the dryer on the inside too. Works great.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Rounds get a LOT hotter than 140 degrees Fahrenheit when you are at the range, it takes serious heat to cook one off. (think about how hot the barrel of your gun gets during prolonged shooting and think about the unfired round sitting in the chamber)

140 degrees is only about 25 degrees hotter than the shower you take.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Thumbs down

not a good idea

Even if it should be okay to leave the rounds in the chamber/clip while you "cook" the gun... why in the hell would it be a good idea to do so? I don't think I'll be doing this anytime soon...

If I needed to mold a leather holster I'd do it the same way I recommend it to be done on hiking boots: soak the leather and put whatever you need to mold inside until the leather is dry. When you're done, presto! Of course, take special care if your weapon gets wet in the process.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

The best way to break in a new holster is to go buy some silicone spray lube (like LP3) and spray the inside of the holster with it, then practice drawing the weapon from the holster; keep doing this, and keep reapplying the silicone spray before each session.

This is an old USPSA trick we used way back in the early 90s.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links