SA/DA in Connecticut

This is a discussion on SA/DA in Connecticut within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sgt Z Squad I am LEO in Connecticut, I guess my P.D. is going to have issues since we have DA/SA pistols. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SA/DA in Connecticut

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Z Squad View Post
    I am LEO in Connecticut, I guess my P.D. is going to have issues since we have DA/SA pistols.
    Yep, better order some Glocks...

Total BS if what you wrote is accurate.
    Couldn't have said it better myself...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I hope to never find out, but if I was in a situation that had me fire my weapon at someone I probably would not fire only 1 shot? At that point who cares if the subsequent shots are SA or DA?

Quote Originally Posted by CTSubie View Post
    I hope to never find out, but if I was in a situation that had me fire my weapon at someone I probably would not fire only 1 shot? At that point who cares if the subsequent shots are SA or DA?
    I agree. Although things can go sour in the courtroom, my concern at the time of the shooting would be to stop the threat, period. If that should ever occur I'm in for plenty of BS regardless.

Couldn't the use of any gun be spun unfavorably? For example, a 1911 style carried in condition 1... although you and I may be 100% confident in it's safety, the hammer back sure looks scary to someone who doesn't know any better and it could be argued that it being cocked showed intent.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

#1 The instructor was an idiot.

#2 Their is nothing wrong with DA/SA in Connecticut.

#3 The idea of not cocking a DA/SA pistol for the first shot is driven by the fact you loose feeling in your fingers under stress, and your hands tend to contract as a stress response - if you go SA for the first shot, you are setting yourself up for a negligent discharge due to human stress reaction.

#4 The only "courtroom" issue with cocking the gun is that it opens the door to a claim of negligence - that you didn't want to shoot him, but you did so because of the factors in #3.

This isn't an issue in most cases, but if you are holding someone at gunpoint after they comply with your command to stop, and the unexpected occurs and you twitch - BOOM. Now you got some explaining to do.

Could it be an issue with glocks, or 1911's...yes, but it is a minor side issue that isn't worth devoting much time on.

Don't make it more than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    • a witness might/could see you
    - I guess I'm not that paranoid. I would think that if a witness knew enough about a gun being in SA mode, they would know enough about guns in general. I would be more worried about the testimony of the witness and how they interpreted in the scene rather than if they saw a gun in DA or SA mode.

I only carry DAO, so I never really gave it much thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links