Girlfriend Asked Me Why I Carry...10 o'clock News Tells Her Why

This is a discussion on Girlfriend Asked Me Why I Carry...10 o'clock News Tells Her Why within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend and I were watching Lie to Me tonight. After the show, she said, "You know, I think you're a little paranoid. You think ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend Asked Me Why I Carry...10 o'clock News Tells Her Why

Girlfriend Asked Me Why I Carry...10 o'clock News Tells Her Why

My girlfriend and I were watching Lie to Me tonight. After the show, she said, "You know, I think you're a little paranoid. You think you're going to be attacked all the time!"

The old "you're safer than you think" argument from the antis - this anti being my girlfriend

Right about that moment, the 10 o'clock news comes on with a story about gang violence in Northern Virginia, where we live. How it is spreading into suburbia. And also how an older couple was attacked by gangbangers while they were walking one morning in Lansdowne. Lansdowne is supposedly very safe, by the way.

My girlfriend gasped at that story..."oh my!"

I responded: "That's why I carry." No need to argue...just watch the news!

Even if the gangbangers ganged up on you like they did that elderly couple, I still look at it this way:

Assuming they're going to try to kill you, you might as well do something. Even if you don't win the fight. Why not send some bullets at them and die fighting? What's the worst that could happen - I win? It's better than "being at the wrong place at the wrong time." That's what the police said about that Lansdowne murder.

Maybe that elderly couple didn't stand a chance, but if they had pulled out a gun and started firing at those gangbangers, they just might have taken one of them down and made the world a better place.
    Springfield XD45 4" 13+1

2. Remove Ads

Just tell her if someone ever breaks into the house, that she's on her own for protection!

That's what I was thinking.... ask her if someone attacks them, if she wants you to only protect yourself and let her figure out her own defense ?

As the old saying goes.... if a bear attacks, I'm betting I can run faster than you do.

The world is always changing, including the "safer areas".

Better to be as prepared as possible for the unknown.
    "No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -Thomas Jefferson-

I asked her what she'd do if someone tried to attack her, and she said "I guess I'd fight back."

"Would you try to kill the guy if you thought he was going to kill you?"

"Yeah..."

"With what?"

"I dunno..."

I can't blame her - society instills these notions in most peoples' heads. They have no plan!
    Springfield XD45 4" 13+1

yes va is become a bad place in many areas. were i grew up in hampton roads is all so become increased gang violence. with car jackings and i read a few months ago some gang members burned all this cars at this dealership. Just because people carry guns does not mean we think we will be attacked.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    As the old saying goes.... if a bear attacks, I'm betting I can run faster than you do.
    That reminds me of a funny Smirnoff Ice commercial a while back where the two dudes are standing there camping when a bear approaches, stands up on his hind legs and roars a ferociously loud roar... The one guy turns and hoses his buddy down with honey from one of those honey bear squeeze bottles, then turns and starts running away while his buddy is standing there dripping honey!

First time I saw that i was drinking a soda and damn near chocked to death. Funny stuff!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I asked her what she'd do if someone tried to attack her, and she said "I guess I'd fight back."

"Would you try to kill the guy if you thought he was going to kill you?"

"Yeah..."

"With what?"

"I dunno..."

I can't blame her - society instills these notions in most peoples' heads. They have no plan!
    Keep working on her. She isn't a lost cause. Tell her you carry to protect not only yourself but her as well because you love her. Tell her that her life might just mean more to you that it does to her because you are prepared to fight to protect her and already have a plan where as she does not.

Keep nudging her to go shooting with you. Then work on getting her to get her permit and carry. She sounds like she is a logical person and will see the light sooner or later.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Just ask her why you have life, home, dental, car insurance. Then when she responds in case something happens, fire, accident, cavity, death, we are prepared. Then you can look at her and say, the gun is our health insurance.

I agree, get her to shoot with you. You'd be surprised how a person can change their mind once they get involved. I'll bet she will even think it's fun.

my wife changed her mind very quickly when i told her the same thing. my gun is my life insurance and my house insurance. basically told her the same thing mike said up there. i love her and her life means more to me then she might think. thats all it took.. she's been hooked ever since.

Hey Nova,
    I remember that Lansdowne incident. It put some fear in me. I live in a subdivision just 5 miles from there, and even closer to the hispanic gangs of sterling. Each time I open my garage door during the dark hours, I wish I was carrying.
    I really don't know how to carry at home yet, since my wife has issues with that. I may just take the extra time to open my car door and put the car gun in my pocket before opening the garage door at night and mornings.

Through the me harping, the news reporting, and a bad experience in a high rise parking lot...my wife became a believer, but it took many years...she's there NOW.

To the OP...
    Keep giving her those news reports.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My own theory is that a lot of people cannot allow themselves to think about danger in the world, because since they have never been in a life threatening situation, lethal danger is theoretical, almost mythical. Something which happens to "other people", in the "wrong neighborhood", or to people who "bring it on themselves".

To think about danger seriously, is to make it real, and realize how truly unequipped they are.

Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    Just ask her why you have life, home, dental, car insurance. Then when she responds in case something happens, fire, accident, cavity, death, we are prepared. Then you can look at her and say, the gun is our health insurance.
    Exactly. I don't put my seat belt on expecting to get in a car accident every time I hit the road. I'm pretty sure my house isn't going to burst into flames, but I have fire extinguishers. If I had to bet, I'd put a up a good amount that I'll never fire my gun in anger, and that's great. But no harm will be done having it there and not needing it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links