Will you carry while Trick 'R Treating?

This is a discussion on Will you carry while Trick 'R Treating? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan Well if you anticipate trouble, why go? lol..... For the candy man!...

View Poll Results: Will you carry while Trick 'R Treating?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

301 94.06%
  • No

19 5.94%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Will you carry while Trick 'R Treating?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    Well if you anticipate trouble, why go?
    lol..... For the candy man!

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Without a doubt

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm going as John Dillinger, so I will have the appropriate hardware.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Celebration of a Satanic practice? Uh, speaking as a practicing Pagan "specifically Wiccan" I can say that's most definatly not the case. Samhain "Halloween" is a night of rememberance of the dead. It's a night to think of your loved ones who've passed on. To remember them with love and respect and to honor their memories. Do Satanists pull crap on that night? yes, but it doesn't define the holiday anymore than a drunken mall Santa going postal would define Christmas. Now, on topic, I'll be carrying concealed in costume while trick or treating afterwards during religious rites I'll be packing in a hidden pocket of my cloak.

I do carry when TorT'ing with the kids. It's easier to conceal a larger gun also, because of a costume I might be wearing or a coat.

Yes I will.

Mike

If I trick or treated and if I had a gun, you bet.

My family stopped doing Halloween (including handing out candy) when the costumes started going from cute to grotesque and people started hiding razorblades in the candy. I saw that someone started a thread awhile back about how bad things have gotten in the past 50 years and Halloween, IMO, is another example.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

I live in Illinois. Guess which one I chose?

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    If I trick or treated and if I had a gun, you bet.

My family stopped doing Halloween (including handing out candy) when the costumes started going from cute to grotesque and people started hiding razorblades in the candy. I saw that someone started a thread awhile back about how bad things have gotten in the past 50 years and Halloween, IMO, is another example.
    The razor blades in candy....another prime example of media BS. It happened.....ONCE. A boy put it in his own apple to garner attention from his parents. This is the same sort of BS that anti-gun people feed you to scare you. If your going to get scared away from Halloween by useless drivel you cant be surprised when people don't understand why we carry. We're all hear this stories about poisoned candy but how many people actually had it happen to them? Talk about running from the "boogie man".

I dont know that Jesus doesn't like Trick or Treating, I just got home from Volunteering at church for a T or T for the kids. Its depends on your denomination I guess.

Alex!

Dress up as a cowboy and open carry.

Well if you anticipate trouble, why go?
    Sir, I anticipate trouble everywhere I go. I live by the motto "Be polite but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Sorry but it is a celebration of a satanic practice. Jesus does not appreciate it.
    That is not true.

From History.com when looking up "The history of Halloween":

Halloween's origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in).

The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.

To commemorate the event, Druids built huge sacred bonfires, where the people gathered to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities.

During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, typically consisting of animal heads and skins, and attempted to tell each other's fortunes. When the celebration was over, they re-lit their hearth fires, which they had extinguished earlier that evening, from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the coming winter.

By A.D. 43, Romans had conquered the majority of Celtic territory. In the course of the four hundred years that they ruled the Celtic lands, two festivals of Roman origin were combined with the traditional Celtic celebration of Samhain.

The first was Feralia, a day in late October when the Romans traditionally commemorated the passing of the dead. The second was a day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple and the incorporation of this celebration into Samhain probably explains the tradition of "bobbing" for apples that is practiced today on Halloween.

By the 800s, the influence of Christianity had spread into Celtic lands. In the seventh century, Pope Boniface IV designated November 1 All Saints' Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. The celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints' Day) and the night before it, the night of Samhain, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween. Even later, in A.D. 1000, the church would make November 2 All Souls' Day, a day to honor the dead. It was celebrated similarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the eve of All Saints', All Saints', and All Souls', were called Hallowmas.
    This ridiculous and incorrect belief that Halloween is some sort of satanic holiday is just silly and is continuously used by various churches to drive the flocks to church.

Halloween is a harmless holiday that children look forward to for the fun and candy. There's nothing wrong with it. I doubt very seriously that Jesus would be upset about kids having fun. I feel pretty sure he is more upset about the many wars that have been started in His name.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    The razor blades in candy....another prime example of media BS. It happened.....ONCE. A boy put it in his own apple to garner attention from his parents. This is the same sort of BS that anti-gun people feed you to scare you. If your going to get scared away from Halloween by useless drivel you cant be surprised when people don't understand why we carry. We're all hear this stories about poisoned candy but how many people actually had it happen to them? Talk about running from the "boogie man".

I dont know that Jesus doesn't like Trick or Treating, I just got home from Volunteering at church for a T or T for the kids. Its depends on your denomination I guess.

Alex!
    1) It was my parents decision to stop trick or treating

2) It wasn't about the razor blades, I was just using that to tie it to the decline of morals in this country, it was mainly based on the fact that I got scared by horrific costumes AS A KID.

Sorry I didn't know that story was fake. I was maybe 10 at the time and didn't pay attention to the news.

3) Why do you care if I trick or treat or not? I don't care that you do. Get off my case.

My decision to not participate in Halloween isn't about religion or that I think people that do are evil devil worshipers (or that I'm scared of it.) I just don't like gratuitous gore. I don't watch horror movies either. I do however like war movies because the gore is used to make a point.

It does slightly bother me that halloween used to be a child's holiday and they warped it into what it is today.Thanks for providing a place where the atmosphere is still child friendly.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    After some further thoughts and the fact that Halloween falls on a Saturday this year, I guess I'll carry, even though I only carry on days that end with "Y".
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly! The only reason this holiday (Which is what it is) has such a bad rap is people's lack of participation in it. If everyone would participate it would be safe again, people pulling out and shutting their lights off change the ratio of good kids/stupid teenagers in a negative way. Halloween is NOT a pagan holiday and it does not glorify the devil. It has its older origins as well, but in that regard, Christmas is a pagan holiday as well.

Remember, the word Pagan literally means "Not Catholic". Buying into Halloween being the devil's holiday is like blindly listening to the people who say CHL holders have an 80% chance of shooting themselves.

Make it a fun holiday for the kids, buy some candy and carve a Jack-o-lantern and have a good time.

Alex!
    Sorry guys but I respectfully disagree.
    SCGunLover1

Actually, Pagan comes from the Latin, Paganus meaning "From the country" originally it was an insult it was used like Hick or redneck today.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links