Carrying Gun While Traveling Through USA

This is a discussion on Carrying Gun While Traveling Through USA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took a new job in PA and currently live in TX. I want to bring my gun with me just in case I get ...

Thread: Carrying Gun While Traveling Through USA

Carrying Gun While Traveling Through USA

I took a new job in PA and currently live in TX. I want to bring my gun with me just in case I get in a jam while traveling and need it. I am traveling through these states:

Arkansas
    Tennessee
    Virginia
    Delaware
    Pennsylvania
    Maryland
    New Jersey

Would someone please be so kind to advise me as to if I can drive through these states with my gun? If I keep it in the bed of my truck unloaded will this be ok? I have a lockable camper top on the bed of my truck, but it does have a front window that opens allowing me an arms access to place items in the bed through the opening back window of my truck. I don't know if this matters or not?

Thanks for all your help!
    Last edited by 1968gtcs; October 27th, 2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: extra info

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Do you have a TX CHL?

Handgunlaw.us will be your friend in this.

If you have a TX CHL, you'll be ok except for Maryland and New Jersey.

Also, why do you need to go into NJ? You can go from DE to PA w/o crossing into NJ.

No I do not.

I found this....
    "§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Release date: 2005-08-03
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any
    political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
    transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any
    lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any
    other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation
    the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily
    accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
    Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the
    glove compartment or console."

So does this mean that my truck camper top and truck compartment are seperate or not seperate since they have a window that you can reach your arm through?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'm no Mapquest... but I'm pretty sure you don't drive thru NJ from TX to get to PA

At any rate... check this out.

Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner

If you have no permit to carry I'd get one if you can before you go, otherwise it'd have to be locked up like the US Code you posted... or you can go by this map...

http://www.opencarry.org/travel.html

Go the Western Route up I-81 in western VA to PA
    then you are only in MD a VERY short time
    and can skip DE & NJ entirely

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Pack N Go

Do watch out for this website. They have incorrect info on what states honor other states permits. They still list NV as honoring a FL and UT permit. They also don't have listed all the states that some states honor. I have emailed them twice telling them about their errors but have received no reply. This could get someone arrested and they could lose their right to carry plus costing them lots of money. Another CCW site had incorrect info and I emailed them and they made the changes and were very thankful. Do check with the official state sites before traveling.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Go to this site for very good info...
    USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community

Use the two maps in the upper left corner of the site.

I would still check with individual state sites, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

And do not stop in MD or NJ whatever you do......stay on the highway.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Lead Moderator
    Check the laws in each state you will be traveling through. Since you don't have a permit (if I read that correctly), your weapon(s) will probably have to be in "storage" mode during most of your trip.

Pay particular attention to NJ and MD. In Maryland to be legal the weapon should be in the trunk, all mags empty, and technically you can't stop for anything. I think NJ prohibits HP ammo.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

As others have posted, you really are only going to have problems in MD & NJ. You should be able to avoid NJ altogether.

Research your trip through the websites Slider and retsup provided!

Also, if you are going to stay in TX you really need to get a TX carry permit. If you are going to relocate and move to PA permanently, then you really should apply for PA permit as soon as you establish your residency.

I really can't figure out the psyche of those who have a "part-time" carry mentality. I guess they are so good at knowing exactly when and where they are going to need a gun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I was just up in PA in August and went up 81 through MD (for 36 miles or so) past Frederick. I stopped in VA, put it away as required and put it right back on in PA. Maybe not absolutely necessary but it is the legal thing to do.

Stay out of New Jersey altogether. Remember that NJ is a state that doesn't even trust you to pump gas on your own. You are way too stupid for NJ and so am I
    2A is not negotiable

Ok a few things (being someone who was liberated from NJ) the interstate travel law sited before covers you. So long as everything is in "storage" mode you will be fine even in NJ and MD. No state can bar you from traveling through with a firearm, they can say how you carry however so just keep them unloaded, cased and separate from ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    I was just up in PA in August and went up 81 through MD (for 36 miles or so) past Frederick. I stopped in VA, put it away as required and put it right back on in PA. Maybe not absolutely necessary but it is the legal thing to do.

Stay out of New Jersey altogether. Remember that NJ is a state that doesn't even trust you to pump gas on your own. You are way too stupid for NJ and so am I
    Oh, it is absolutely necessary!

If you are stopped in Maryland while you have a loaded firearm accessible to you, much less actually on your person - and do not have a Maryland permit - you WILL go to jail. Even traveling LEOs get hassled, although they probably stay out of jail.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    I was just up in PA in August and went up 81 through MD (for 36 miles or so) past Frederick.

That tiny stretch of 81 is really only about 12 miles, but I hate it whenever I have to do it. And I get to go to Jersey every couple weeks or so too. Sucks that we're surrounded by jackasses.

As for the OP, agree with everyone who recommended "get a permit ASAP."

Welcome to PA when you get here. Check out PAFOA.org for tons of good info and fun.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Links