Gun with kids at home ??

Gun with kids at home ??

This is a discussion on Gun with kids at home ?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you have kids at home old enough to be curious? I know many of you have don't will have your gun close ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Gun with kids at home ??

How many of you have kids at home old enough to be curious? I know many of you have don't will have your gun close to you at all times while home, even while sleeping. What do those of you with kids do?

I have one 16yr old & one 6 yr old.

I am looking for a new gun for carry and have been reading a lot of the discussions about a manual safety vs. no manual safety. Do you think with kids around it is important to have a manual safety on top of other safety measures taken. I realize a kid (especially the older one) can easily turn the safety. But I am thinking that if for some reason he ever got hold of it without a lock on it and he was just holding it the way a kids may, that it is one more safety measure to prevent an accident.

Opinions please.

David

Keep you're gun locked up when no on you.

I believe it is important to start talking gun safety as soon as a kid is old enough to understand. "Do NOT touch daddy's gun!"
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

When my wife and I got married and started a family, all my guns ( that wheren't on me) got locked in the safe. SAFTY always comes first.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Let them watch the Eddie Eagle video.

I can only tell you what I have done. My kids 10,8,2 all understand that I have firearms in the house. If they want to see Daddy guns all they have to ask. Will be happy to unload them and let them play with them AFTER I show them that the guns are unloaded. Just like any other new toy it gets old real fast. Then It just sits there unused. Still enforcing proper gun handling. Finger off the trigger. Knowing what is behind the wall, Understanding once you pull the trigger no turning back the bullet. I have left the guns unloaded easily with in their reach. So far they have not touched the gun. This is no means the end all solution but it works for me. I am not worried about my kids going to a friends house and them finding a gun at the friends house.

I'd say the safest place for your firearm is on your person. If it isn't on your person, it should be in a safe.

-john

Senior Moderator
    I have a 2 year old and a 9 month old, but when ever a gun is not on my person then it is locked up in a safe.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Ape
    All the comments on keeping it locked up if not on your person are right on!
    But I would also suggest on teaching your kids all about guns and taking the curiosity away. The kids who are "accidentally" injured or killed every year are from guns that aren't locked up and parents who've never taken the time to completely educate their kids about guns.

My daughter is now 10 years old and has had her own guns since she was 6 or 7. She now has 4 guns of her own and is more safe handling guns than many adults I know. She's also fully aware of other people's handling skills while she's around, and she'll let you know if you're being unsafe at any point!
    She also knows that if she's ever at another person's house and a gun makes an appearance without a responsible adult present....It's time to leave!

The only safety you should ever trust is the one between your ears. ;) Not the mechanical ones on the guns themselves.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    My son is only 13 months old, so he's still too young. Obviously we don't keep our firearms ANYWHERE were he could get into in case he is strong enough to pull the trigger. My girlfriend has a 4 year old nephew who visits at least once or twice a week, so we have to keep it out of his reach as well.

I'd look into getting a gun safe, and if you're worried about having to access it in an emergency, look at fingerprint locks or ones that require buttons. Keys are good for back up, but fumbling with keys is a recipe for disaster in case of an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Let them watch the Eddie Eagle video.

I can only tell you what I have done. My kids 10,8,2 all understand that I have firearms in the house. If they want to see Daddy guns all they have to ask. Will be happy to unload them and let them play with them AFTER I show them that the guns are unloaded. Just like any other new toy it gets old real fast. Then It just sits there unused. Still enforcing proper gun handling. Finger off the trigger. Knowing what is behind the wall, Understanding once you pull the trigger no turning back the bullet. I have left the guns unloaded easily with in their reach. So far they have not touched the gun. This is no means the end all solution but it works for me. I am not worried about my kids going to a friends house and them finding a gun at the friends house.
    I agree with this. My instructor firmly believes in this principle and he has 2 grown children, both in the military now and also both qualified firearms instructors in their own right that prove this can be a legitimate way to raise children around guns. Especially your 16 year old. Don't make it tabboo. Be open and honest and if your kids are interested let them go to the range with you and learn proper saftey and techniques. Some of the best range days I've ever had have been with my dad and I know he feels the same.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Teach your kids gun safety if they are old enough to understand. But I agree with the others. If it's not on you, it should be in a safe. I put mine in a GunVault. I have a 2 and 4 year old and no matter what you tell them, they're too young to understand. I can't see any reason why you would leave a loaded weapon laying around when you can access a small safe in seconds.

While I agree with the other posters who have said get a safe/keep it locked up when not on your person, and above all teach kids gun safety, it is a shame that our society has come to this. I grew up in an age when most households had guns, fathers taught their children gun safety at a very early age, and not only were they taught not to touch a gun lying around, they were taught not to touch other peoples property--period! People did not have gun safes at home! And gun "accidents" were extremely rare! I think that our society really began to decline with the teachings of that great child expert Dr. Spock (heavy sarcasm). His permissive ideas led to undiciplined generations of brats who were never taught how to act properly. Spare the rod and spoil the child. His "philosophy" of child rearing has had a profound impact on how we must live our lives today.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Safe or no safe, a curious 16 year old will find a way to get in and take care of that curiosity that's building up inside him.

I have two boys at home, one of which is old enough to be curious, but he isn't, and here's why:

All of my guns are immediately accessible to him anytime I'm home, all he has to do is ask. Because of the importance of this topic, I do not hesitate on this matter. He is usually able to handle an unloaded weapon within 30 seconds of asking for it.

Now for the better part ... he is well versed in the concept of firearms safety. He's still too small and doesn't have enough strength to pull back a slide and do a visual chamber inspection (especially on my Fusion with its 24lb recoil spring), but he knows NEVER to point a gun at anyone, only the floor - and he knows never to touch the trigger. Next year he'll getting he'll be getting his first rifle.

I'm not in denial either. I know that at some point he'll be in high-school, his buddies will know he's got guns in the house, they'll want to see his and my cool toys, and my son will have some covert way of getting into my safe. But more importantly, I know that this gun handling skills at that point will be top-notch. I know that every weapon will be stripped of it's magazine, slides will be locked back, chambers inspected, and the gun presented muzzle down before any of the other kids gets their hands on them.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

When I lived at home with young kids, I locked up all but the one I was carrying. When I got home, I locked the one I carry in my briefcase.

When people visit us now with kids, I lock up all the guns except for the one on me. When I go to bed at night I lay it on the nightstand next to me, and I lock the bedroom door.

Each child comes to the age of responsibility differently. And only you as a parent are capable of judging how old that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    But I would also suggest on teaching your kids all about guns and taking the curiosity away.
    Agreed. Take the mystique away and teach safety early in addition to keeping firearms secured.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I'd look into getting a gun safe, and if you're worried about having to access it in an emergency, look at fingerprint locks or ones that require buttons. Keys are good for back up, but fumbling with keys is a recipe for disaster in case of an emergency.
    Just remember that you can keep your firearm on your person until it is time to sleep, which reduces the time you have to worry about securing it, as well as speeds the accessibility in case of an emergency.

-john

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links