Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker - Page 2

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker

This is a discussion on Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by swatspyder Probably what was used... Very easy to open locks with. And all you need is a beer can. You got it. ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker

Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post

Probably what was used... Very easy to open locks with. And all you need is a beer can.
    You got it. One employee of the gym mentioned this "can" idea. Made me sort of suspicious, but in the end can't do anything unless you prove it.
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c
    Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III

Quote Originally Posted by Getwild2 View Post
    Thanks and yes sir, I do have the serial on my registration card...er..I mean my "safety inspection" card.
    That's the whole purpose of gun registrations, to get the serial number into the system (NCIC). Now that the gun has been reported stolen, that information has been entered into NCIC, and should the firearm end up in a pawn shop, the police are notified. And some departments do have a Pawn Unit that check the local pawn shops for stolen items that have been flagged in NCIC.

You might check out some more gym locker rooms in the area at about the same time of day .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    That's the whole purpose of gun registrations, to get the serial number into the system (NCIC). Now that the gun has been reported stolen, that information has been entered into NCIC, and should the firearm end up in a pawn shop, the police are notified. And some departments do have a Pawn Unit that check the local pawn shops for stolen items that have been flagged in NCIC.
    Yes, very true, I didn't think of this. I was just playing-off their name tag of "safety inspection". I am thankful for the ability to report it stolen.
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c

Quote Originally Posted by mjmoore View Post
    You might check out some more gym locker rooms in the area at about the same time of day .
    Yes, dosnt sound like this was this guys first time around the block. Too bad most LE agencys don't have the man power to pull this off.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

VIP Member
    That really sucks. I think you will end up having to file through the NRA. Most renters policies only cover your personal possessions, in the residence and are not as inclusive as homeowners policies.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    That really sucks. I think you will end up having to file through the NRA. Most renters policies only cover your personal possessions, in the residence and are not as inclusive as homeowners policies.
    That stinks, I'll definitely file with the NRA if I need to. I will have my police report next week, I'll check with the gym first and see if she can be as fast as possible. Otherwise I'll go through the NRA.
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c

Wow, makes me want to reconsider using a MasterLock. Are their any other locks out there that would not be susceptible to the beer can method?

Man! That really sucks.

Thanks for the lesson though.
    (I'm guessing you'll never do that again, eh?)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Quote Originally Posted by kccad View Post
    Wow, makes me want to reconsider using a MasterLock. Are their any other locks out there that would not be susceptible to the beer can method?
    Master makes quite a few that works well,but I still like a keyed lock better.
    That sucks!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    Sucks big time bro, I'm really sorry for your loss. Thanks for the "heads up".

On other "what do you do with your gun at the gym" threads I and others have mentioned the Center of Mass Gun Safe. I've since upgraded but I originally used a COM in my truck when I went to the gym in the past. They're not expensive. Hope that helps someone.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Have you considered buying a "keyless" padlock? Go to your favorite search engine and look up "keyless magnetic padlocks." These padlocks have no "keys" as we know them. You place a magnetic strip next to one side of the padlock and the lock unlocks. The positive & negative magnets in the lock open the hasp of the lock. I've had several of these in the past. There are no keyholes to pick either.

This is one option you should be considering if a regular lock isn't the most secure.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I carry a KT P3AT to the gym when I go. I leave it in my locker. Maybe someday it might get stolen, but I am going to keep it up anyway.

Each has to make a choice, and I had a specific reason that involved threats.

One needs to take care with the security of a firearm, but many of us have guns for SD, and in some situations there may be some risk of losing them. It is just one of those things, and each must access the risks and whether he is willing to take them.
    I would rather lose my gun than my wallet, and I always leave it in the locker.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Sucks big time bro, I'm really sorry for your loss. Thanks for the "heads up".

On other "what do you do with your gun at the gym" threads I and others have mentioned the Center of Mass Gun Safe. I've since upgraded but I originally used a COM in my truck when I went to the gym in the past. They're not expensive. Hope that helps someone.
    For those of you lucky enough to have an Academy near you:

Weekly Ad - page 7

Mini Gunvault for $99.99
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

You know what they say " a lock keeps the honest thief out ". A good friend of mine that is a locksmith and fellow motorcycle rider turned me on to a lock that might be a good choice for you in the future. Mind you they ain't cheap. But I use it on a regular basis to lock up my bike when at rallies ect. There is a nice list of them at the following link....High Security Padlocks
    I use the ABUS Granit 37/80RK. Got the company discount but still ran me $75.00.
    I hope things work out and you are able to resolve the issue. I am sure that many that have read this will think twice about the next time they use a padlock.
    "Rhino"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links