Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker - Page 4

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker

This is a discussion on Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Remind me again why it's a bad idea to put your gun in a locked container in a facility where it's possible to get attacked? ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Remind me again why it's a bad idea to put your gun in a locked container in a facility where it's possible to get attacked? I'm missing something. I wouldn't leave my sidearm at home, or in the car for that matter. You locked your locker. You can't help that someone was a scumbag. it's not like you left it open for someone to take. Personally, I don't think you did anything I wouldn't have done. Don't beat yourself up, it's not your fault some people are filthy thieving pigs.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Locked in the car is not a good option either. I know a few guys who've had guns stolen from their car.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear the bad news. I HATE A THIEF

I liked that suggestion from Hitch King about checking if any neighboring businesses happened to have a camera that faced the gym. I'm guessing that "the guy on the phone" is your man.

Don't forget about checking pawn shops in neighboring towns.

Good luck
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My gym had me sign a "No Guns" form when I joined for this very scenario. I leave mine locked in my COM car safe.

Your handgun can be pilfered anywhere at any time. It's not your fault unless you are being negligent or illegal.

I am flying today with my Kimber Ultra CDP. Some skeevy airline or TSA employee could steal it. However, I am not living my life around that possibility.

It's a quick gut check, I had a similar situation happen to me.

I'm tossing in another recommendation to go check local pawn shops. A buddy and I discovered his "just stole" guitars about 3-4 hours after talking with the police and filing a report. He had the serial numbers of the guitars with him when we found them in the pawn shop, and the guy running the shop was STILL not being very co-operative. I think he realized he was going to be out some bucks, and wasn't terribly pleased. We called the detective ourselves and waited out on the sidewalk for him to show up and retrieve the stolen property.

Getwild2 it took alot to post that on here and thanks for doing it. Lesson well learned and it's a great reminder to the rest of us.

As far as the gun more then likely it will get sold/pawned somewhere unfortunately.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Getwild2 View Post
    Please don't start a flame war ...

The purpose of this post is to serve as a 'reminder', not for a lashing.
    Remember that comments about the actions aren't about you. It's the actions that deserve critiquing, and doing so is not "flaming" or "lashing" or "bashing" you. So long as it's guided toward the actions and what can be learned from them, that's the point of such a thread.

There's nothing really so stupid or inconceivable about locking up a pistol/holster in a temporary locker. Reality is, even a car and beneath-the-seat COM (or similar type) case can be broken into easily. About the only secure spot is on your person, but that's not easily done in certain situations. It is what it is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am sorry for your situation. Good thing you had the serial number off your pistol. I am sure you gave that info to the police. Maybe carry a smaller pistol like a kel-tec in your pocket so no one sees you disarm and leave your edc in your trunk or car safe. I hope you get your pistol back and the issue gets resolved. Also some pawn shops require you to give a finger print before you sell merchandise. If you find your gun at a pawn shop have the police see if they require a finger print for sale to be completed. This could lead you to your perp.

Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    I'm tossing in another recommendation to go check local pawn shops. A buddy and I discovered his "just stole" guitars about 3-4 hours after talking with the police and filing a report. He had the serial numbers of the guitars with him when we found them in the pawn shop, and the guy running the shop was STILL not being very co-operative. I think he realized he was going to be out some bucks, and wasn't terribly pleased. We called the detective ourselves and waited out on the sidewalk for him to show up and retrieve the stolen property.
    I would be willing to bet that there are a 1/2 a dozen diffrent cameras in the area. People have them at their homes and businesses.
    Check the Pawn shops for sure.
    Qucik story of topic of Op but on topic for roalho

My neighbor is a Local 3 electrian working in a bad neighbor in the Bronx on a roof of a building they look down and see somebody stealing a windshield out of a car below. So they run down down the flights of stairs and the theif is gone with the windshield.
    So later that day the owner of the vehicles comes back and see the missing windshield. They explain that they tried to catch the theif but he was to fast. They suggest to try some of the local glass shops.
    He comes back 30 minutes later and relays this story to my neighbor.

I headed over to the several glass shops like you suggested 2nd shop tells me I that they have the used windshield and it will be $125.00 installed. OK, install it.

Worker comes carrying out the shield and the owner of the vehicle see that there are registration and inspection stickers on the windshield. The plate number on the registration is for his car.Yep his stolen windshield.

Owner does not say a word until it is installed. The job is complete so he gets intot he car and starts to leave. The owner of the glass shop tells him that he has to pay for the shield.

I am not paying for the windshield that was stolen out of my car because this is my windshield and if you have a problem with it try to explain to the cops how come my registration is still on the windshield. Owner looks down at the stickers and says I paid $40.00 for the shield.

So next time dont buy stolen items!!!

Good advice guys, I will try to get to some pawn shops in the next few days. Its hard though, my hometown (Fenton) is outside of the infamous Flint, Michigan. Flint isn't known for its high society and majority of law abiding citizens, thus there are many, many pawn shops and cash advance places to choose from. Its like a needle in a haystack. As long as I get the funds to replace the property I will be happy.

As for the future, I'll either lock the gun in my office safe prior to going to the gym 1/4 mile away or I'll carry in one of those holster/fanny packs along with my wallet and keys. I just spoke to a Detective on the phone and she said, "I'd rather have my gun stolen than my wallet".
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c
    Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Getwild2 View Post
    thus there are many, many pawn shops and cash advance places to choose from.
    Start with phone calls? Ask if they've seen a gun like yours. Maybe don't tell them you're looking for a stolen gun or they can lie to cover their own ***.

One saying I've always liked that might somewhat apply in this scenario:

Matthew Henry, English minister, was robbed one night. After his encounter he wrote, "I want to first thank God that I was never robbed before. Second, I thank God that they took my wallet and not my life. Third, because, although they took everything I had, it was not much. And fourth, because it was I who was robbed and it was not I who robbed."
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c
    Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III

Im not a cop or investigator but considering that the neighboring lockers where broken into and nothing taken makes me think they where looking for your locker. They either saw you put the gun in it or knew you had it and didnt leave with it. The guy on the phone paceing would have had plenty of time to give a look see while pretending to be distracted by a phone call. To me this all seems to much for just a random incident. You were targeted and they just werent shure of the exact locker you used. Sucks. Hope it turns up.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsjr View Post
    Im not a cop or investigator but considering that the neighboring lockers where broken into and nothing taken makes me think they where looking for your locker. They either saw you put the gun in it or knew you had it and didnt leave with it. The guy on the phone paceing would have had plenty of time to give a look see while pretending to be distracted by a phone call. To me this all seems to much for just a random incident. You were targeted and they just werent shure of the exact locker you used. Sucks. Hope it turns up.
    Plus they didn't take his wallet or watch or anything... what kind of thief would leave that?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links