Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker - Page 5

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker

This is a discussion on Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the kind that was only there for the gun. and you can eliminate that they found the gun and got excited and in a hurry ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    the kind that was only there for the gun. and you can eliminate that they found the gun and got excited and in a hurry and just left the other stuff, cause they other lockers A: wouldnt have been gone through, or B: that stuff would have already been in his pockets.

How many, not so good friends know about your gun and gym time? I still say phone guy.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I was thinking the same thing, only the OP's locker was opened last. Still, if I was a thief, targeting a gun or not, cash from a wallet, watch, etc. would be hard to pass up.

Just curious, did you find the missing locks? Check the trash cans? Maybe the thief was looking for something else and ditched the gun and locks. Maybe he put the gun in another locker til it was safe to remove it.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, only the OP's locker was opened last. Still, if I was a thief, targeting a gun or not, cash from a wallet, watch, etc. would be hard to pass up.

Just curious, did you find the missing locks? Check the trash cans? Maybe the thief was looking for something else and ditched the gun and locks. Maybe he put the gun in another locker til it was safe to remove it.
    I agree, trust me I've been speculating since the incident and it very well could have been planned but where the guy on his phone was at the time of my disarming wouldn't lead to him knowing I had a gun. I guess there is still the chance, so I'm not dismissing the fact.

Just so you know my gym disarming tactics, I put my strong side hip nearly inside my locker, remove the gun and put it on the shelf. I then close the door nearly all the way while I dress. The same action but in reverse when I leave. My locker door shields me the whole time from the rear, and from the front I have full view of who is around. Also note, our locker room has isles of lockers, its not just one big room. So if you're not on 'my' isle and in 'front' of me your likely to not see a thing. From the rear I'm nearly blocked completely by the locker door.

Honestly I knoq the thief was indeed waiting for us to leave to rummage OUR lockers. Here's the thing, why just randomly hit our lockers out of 100 different ones? Wouldn't you rather go to the lockers where you KNOW people are currently working out? The detective and I are thinking he hit my boss' locker first cause he's on the end and easy to find, and then he tried to find mine but couldn't at first since I'm slightly off-center, hence all of the missing locks around my locker. Once he hit mine last he found the 'big score' and took off while the gettin was good.

We didn't find the locks nor the gun anywhere else, though I was hopeful. I do wonder why he didnt take any wallets, keys or my iPhone sitting on the bottom shelf in plain sight. Also, I dont know if I mentioned it or not, but I had a spare magazine sitting inside my shoe on the floor of the locker. He didnt take it. I'm not sure if my gun was a target, but I do know I was, cause I was A.) there and, B.) had things of importance in my locker while I was working out. Otherwise he'd simply have a 100 lockers to rummage, finding mostly smelly socks and t-shirts.

Its all speculation, nobody can say for sure, all I can say is I hope he gets caught. That would be the silver lining to this cloud.
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c
    Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Question: Was fingerprinting out of the question? He obviously had to touch your locker.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Question: Was fingerprinting out of the question? He obviously had to touch your locker.
    The LEO was not interested in taking fingerprints, just a report and leaving. Although he was kind, he didn't want to investigate much.
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c

Quote Originally Posted by Getwild2 View Post
    Oh wow, good idea! I didn't think of that. Well I don't have homeowners insurance but I have a hefty renters insurance policy through State Farm. I'll definitely follow up with them if the gym insurance doesn't pan out.

To the other poster, I agree, strange how I automatically think it'll be used to cause harm. I guess its a worry in the back of my mind. Hopefully I'm wrong and you're right. On a side note, I wonder what the policy is for selling guns to Pawn Shops? Do they run the serial or ask for a registration card from the seller?

Thanks for the kind words guys.
    I am not sure of the gun policy, but at the pawn shop I go to they take a picture, copy your license and ask for you social security number.

Just speculation on my part...if the guy was after just something to pawn for money, then why did he pass up the wallets with cash. Did you check the trash cans and dumpster out back? the reason being is; where did the cheap but heavy padlocks go? Think fingerprints. My initial thought was it is an inside job/employee, that still stands. Bottomline from my view is someone close needed a carry/home gun.
    I had a loaded pistol with extra ammo stolen 30 some years ago, and it is a terrible feeling knowing your gun is out there and may be used in a robery or hold-up. good luck on recovering soon.
    The checking of cameras from around the area sounds like a really good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Getwild2 View Post
    Oh wow, good idea! I didn't think of that. Well I don't have homeowners insurance but I have a hefty renters insurance policy through State Farm. I'll definitely follow up with them if the gym insurance doesn't pan out.

To the other poster, I agree, strange how I automatically think it'll be used to cause harm. I guess its a worry in the back of my mind. Hopefully I'm wrong and you're right. On a side note, I wonder what the policy is for selling guns to Pawn Shops? Do they run the serial or ask for a registration card from the seller?

Thanks for the kind words guys.
    Yeah, our renters insurance, to my surprise, covers my stuff even if its not in the apt.
    I didnt know that until a rep from the company told me about it.
    Id let them know asap instead of waiting for the other thing to pan out.

I think that Pawnshops are required to turn in all serial numbers, and then they rarely pawn that sort of thing without getting ID info. If it gets pawned you might actually get your gun back and someone may get busted.

If you see 'phone guy' again will you recognize him? If he wasn't involved I'm sure you will run into him there again sometime. Have you thought about what you'll say/do? At the very least ask him if he saw anyone suspicious.

It definately seems like they were only interested in your gun. It could have been someone who saw you either taking it off or putting it back on previously and just waited for the right opportunity. Perhaps they saw you in the gym, not the locker room, and went to get it.

Who kows. I'm just throwing out ideas. I think it's very unlikely you'll ever see it again.

Personally I doubt it will be pawned. Not all criminals are stupid. Some just use their smarts for other things.

What you have been through has to be a terrible feeling. Hopefully, insurance will kick in.
    In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

Here is something some of you might not be aware of when it comes to insurance and guns. When my guns were stolen I thought no big deal, insurance will buy me new guns. I had almost $5000 wourth of guns stolen. The limit on insurance was $2000. So I took a $3000 loss on that deal.
    Check with your insurance co. and see what the limit is on your policy. If your guns are worth more than that, you need to get a rider to cover the difference. Some insurance companies have a limit of $1000. That's one gun.
    Do yourselves and favor and check it out.

So I got an email last night from PayPal thanking me for my debit card usage on the day of the incident at a gas station 45 minutes south of here. :-/ When I checked all of my things at the gym I wasn't certain that my PayPal Debit card was stolen, I thought I might have just left it at home which is not uncommon. Apparently I was wrong. Just in case I went ahead and called PayPal around 7pm, several hours after the incident, to cancel the card and reissue a new one. I didn't have any money in my PayPal account but my backup funding account is my bank, which has money in it. Fortunately the thief only used it for $25.00 worth of gas. I'm pretty surprised he didn't take my bank debit card or either of my credit cards. I'm pretty glad he didn't, actually. I believe he took my PayPal because it was in the back and perhaps it would go unnoticed that it was missing. I spoke to the detective this morning and she asked for all of my PayPal dispute paperwork and email via fax so they can add it to the report.

I'm getting more and more angry at this stinkin low-life thief.
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c

if the POS is stupid enough to use it, they should have him on camera. Doesnt your paypal card require a PIN???

When I was trying to locate stolen property as a police officer. I first went to the Pawn Shops regularly. The problem is that it is a nice handgun and hate to say it but it is what it is and it will more than likely be used in a crime or sold to one of his buddies for 20.00 to buy some crack. Sorry good luck I hope you get it back.

This is where a smartcarry holster comes in handy...When I use to workout at Gold's Gym I always carried my xd sc9 in a smartcarry holster.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links