Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker

This is a discussion on Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sorry you lost your gun, but ... Originally Posted by Getwild2 I guess the part that makes me mad is they have NO security ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave your gun in your 'locked' gym locker

I'm sorry you lost your gun, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Getwild2 View Post
    I guess the part that makes me mad is they have NO security cameras, people can obviously walk in and around without being stopped or having to check/sign in as a visitor, etc. On top of all that they hand out locks that can be picked within seconds as we've seen on the YouTube videos.
    Knowing all this you STILL put your gun in one of the lockers?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

well its leave it in a locked locker or a locked car. either way its just as easy to get broken into... still sux
    "with great power comes great responsibility"

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I'm sorry you lost your gun, but ...

Knowing all this you STILL put your gun in one of the lockers?
    Had I known the locks could have been picked that easily, no I wouldn't have used them. As far as I was concerned my gun was safe and I thought I had taken reasonable precaution. Lesson learned.

I'll also add that I was only a member of the gym for about 2 weeks prior to the incident, so their security flaws were new to me. Again, lesson learned.
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c
    Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III

Here are my thoughts........the thief was a professional and these thefts, more than likely, happen often at this gym and all the others, too.

These thieves are very, very good at their craft. Much like the pro hotel thieves who may stay as a guest at a hotel for a week or more, this guy will join various gyms in order to work from the inside until it gets too hot. Then will move on and join another gym.

They are smart, they blend in, they size up their targets, wear disguises,and they sometimes work in pairs. They know gym guys will have money, jewelry and credit cards in their lockers.

Management often downplays the theft problems as they don't want to lose customers.

If your instinct was that the guy on the phone was involved, then you are right.

Also, he may have already handed the gun off to an accomplice.

Also, never leave your gun unattended, anywhere, ever. The only safe place is on your person.

I realize that you know this, but I am just reiterating for others.

Just to update everyone as to what has transpired since my last posts…State Farm has paid me $597.63 after my $500 deductible, which is for a total of $1,097.63 in equipment, with tax and depreciation. The process was very, very easy and I got my check within a week. Good thing is, State Farm said firearms have very little depreciation in the first 20 years, so I only lost about $55 in value and that was mainly for the CTC grips and holster.

At this juncture I have now filed with the NRA for the remainder of my replacement costs. Since NRA's ArmsCare is 'supplemental' insurance, meaning they pay after your primary pays, they will hopefully pickup the other $500 or so. Their policy has a $100 deductible, so in the end I should get every penny for complete replacement, even after deductibles, tax, shipping, etc.

I'm 50% done at this point, hopefully I'll get a check from the NRA any time now. When I talked to them last they said its a very easy process, they receive the paperwork, check out the claim and issue a check. I'll update you when everything's been all said and done with.

Thanks to all for your advice, kind remarks and for reading this post. :D
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c

Cool. Maybe you'll get real lucky and your gun show up too :)

If your gun does get recovered get ahold of me and I will let you know what to expect from the insurance company from personal experience. Glad to hear it worked out OK.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

V10
    This is why I never use combination master locks. Most kids learn how to pick or hack those things in junior high. You can even reset the combo using a paper clip.
    Always use keyed locks with anti-picking/bumping tech and a short "bar" so they can't be cut!
    Sorry 'bout that... He's trained to attack shopping carts for some reason.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Just thought about this - I doubt installing cameras in the locker room is a good idea since people often are undressed there.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedXDm View Post
    It's interesting you automatically think the theif is going to use your gun to cause harm. I would be checking local pawn shops. Even bad guys know the current firearms environment and know they are quick and easy money.
    Expect the worst, hope for the best.

a little more info

So based on this post, I posted this

Lock Picking 101 • View topic - What lock would you use?

on a lockpicking forum. Basically referenced this, and asked what lock they would use.

A few good options there for those who acknowledge that sometimes you need to leave valuables in less than ideal situations.

Figure it would be some good info to post here

If several lockers together were targeted and the only thing missing was your firearm, chances are that it's someone that had previously seen you disarm or discovered you carried, then simply waited on a few days for you to come in.

Then simply cut the locks with small bolt cutters (that would fit in a gym bag) and took your carry tool. Quick and easy if you know what you're looking for and it's concealable.

I read some pages but not the whole thread, it's just too long at this point.
    I go the gym regularly and never use the lockers, I just carry a fanny pack (the only time I do so) and keep my wallet, keys and .38 in there. That way I have it with me at all times, I don't have to worry about any of my stuff getting stolen. Plus, remember a while back that loser that went in and shot up the gym because he couldn't get a woman?

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Just thought about this - I doubt installing cameras in the locker room is a good idea since people often are undressed there.
    I suggested installing them outside the locker room door, that way you can see the back of the heads of those walking in and the face of those walking out. Had they had that in place I could have identified the guy in there with us, no sweat.
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c

UPDATE:
    Well I got a check from the NRA for a WHOPPING $117! Apparently they deemed my loss at a much lesser value than State Farm. They considered the $597 State Farm paid and assessed my 1 year old M&P 9C, Crimson Trace grips and CTAC holster at a $814 value, less my State Farm payout and $100 NRA deductible nets me $117.

In the end I got $714 cash, that's enough to replace the gun and leaves me $75 shy of replacing the Crimson Trace via eBay and doesn't replace the holster at all. I'm a little surprised at the NRA's payout, I just hoped they would back me for more to at least cover the replacement cost. I'm happy with the way State Farm treated me and what they paid out, frankly both processes were a piece of cake and I had my checks within 1 week of submitting the claims. In the end I'm fine with the outcome, its life I guess and I know you never receive full replacement value no matter what. For now I put the cash towards new furniture for my new condo, I'll end up replacing my outfit one day soon, but for now I'm carrying the trusty Glock 23 in a CTAC.
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links