Out of respect?

This is a discussion on Out of respect? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen several posts on several boards from people who don't carry in certain places "out of respect." Out of respect for what? How are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of respect?

Out of respect?

I've seen several posts on several boards from people who don't carry in certain places "out of respect." Out of respect for what? How are you showing someone (or someplace?) any kind of respect by voluntarily disarming? To me this falls under the same flawed reasoning as "I only carry when I think I'll need it."

This makes even less sense to me when talking about concealed carry specifically. "Concealed means concealed." Isn't that what we are always telling each other?

If the weapon stays concealed and there is no reason to present it, it may as well not be there as far as anyone else is concerned.

If you were to need it, how much respect would you be showing by having given up your best tool for defending yourself and/or others?

2. Remove Ads

I too don't understand that reasoning. I carry everywhere I legally can. Even under my choir robe at church. Nobody knows...so nobody cares.

I too carry everywhere I legally can. As stated before, if it's concealed, who cares?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I carry everywhere I can. Except where the law say I can't. Like Court house and Fed. buildings..Other then that I don't leave home without it.

I heard it said once "If you have a CCW permit you either always carry or you never carry". I am in the always carry category. And yes I even carry at church. Nobody knows I have it and I don't want anyone to know, therefore who could possibly be bothered? Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I also do not carry where the laws say I can't. Courthouse, Feb Bldg, Post office etc...
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Always carry where legal. No question.

VIP Member
    I always carry (where legal, of course). I, however, constantly grumble about not being able to carry at the post office. This town doesn't do street delivery, so I must go into the P.O. Not happy about that either, but that's a different story.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    I always carry (where legal, of course). I, however, constantly grumble about not being able to carry at the post office. This town doesn't do street delivery, so I must go into the P.O. Not happy about that either, but that's a different story.
    FYI, unless your state specifically prohibits it, you can carry in the Post Office.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg
    FYI, unless your state specifically prohibits it, you can carry in the Post Office.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html
    Thank you for that information. I'll be looking into this a little further. Might I suggest, this is worthy of it's own thread to pass the information along to those of us who didn't know?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

XD9
    If I don't have to walk through a metal detector, I'm not going to disarm.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

Assistant Administrator
    Older members know my thinking - I am dedicated to carry 16/7 and rarely have to disarm for legal reasons.

I always come back to the analogy - ''Why leave the spare tire at home today - somehow know you won't have a flat?"

Other major reason I quote for myself - it HAS to be there - all day and every day - not used? Fine. But should the day come it is needed, and that will by most accounts be unexpected - I sure as heck do NOT want to reach down to where it should be (in fact always is) and think - ''oh crap, I forgot to put it on''!!!

I honestly - my personal thinking - consider this all or nothing, within the limitations of where folks have to go, and work etc. No way can I imagine second-guessing a crisis.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I always carry when and where it's legal, even in my own backyard.
    My wife asks why I feel a need to carry there and I just explain that I want to feel comfortable carrying anywhere, anytime, make it 2nd nature.

I agree with all of you...conceal it, get comfortable with it...carry it

The ONLY place I do not carry is at work. My dept. completely and strictly forbids it while on-duty. Apart from that, I CCW as a part of my body. I am never without it.

Break into my bathroom while I'm on the can and you WILL get shot!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randal16-1
    I carry everywhere I can. Except where the law say I can't. Like Court house and Fed. buildings..Other then that I don't leave home without it.
    I can legally carry at home too. So I carry there as well. I not only don't leave home without it, I don't stay home without it either.

That said I will be without for a week starting Sunday. Go to the airport and get on that big plane - can't carry. Fly to California - don't accept my license - can't carry. Go to Washington - don't accept my license - can't carry. Fly home on Friday. Brother-in-law picks us up. I am leaving a box with my handguns with him so that when I get to his house I can put one on.

To tell you the truth, I am a little nervous. It has been months since I have been anywhere other than the courthouse unarmed.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links