'No Guns' Signs Come Down in Ohio

'No Guns' Signs Come Down in Ohio

This is a discussion on 'No Guns' Signs Come Down in Ohio within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; \'No Guns'Signs Come Down in Ohio By Susan Jones CNSNews.com Morning Editor June 10, 2004 (CNSNews.com) - Signs reading \"no guns allowed\" are coming down ...

Thread: 'No Guns' Signs Come Down in Ohio

DC Founder

\'No Guns\' Signs Come Down in Ohio

\'No Guns'Signs Come Down in Ohio
    By Susan Jones
    CNSNews.com Morning Editor
    June 10, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - Signs reading \"no guns allowed\" are coming down in some Ohio stores and restaurants.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry said it is pleased to announce that two national chains -- Southwest Ohio Kroger stores and Perkins Family Restaurants -- have \"begun removing discriminatory signs banning concealed handgun license-holders from their stores.\"

So far, at least nine national chains and nearly 50 other businesses have removed their signs and opened their doors to Ohio concealed handgun license-holders, the group said.

In a letter announcing the removal of the signs, Marc Teaberry, the executive vice president of Perkins Family Restaurants, noted that the restaurant chain has \"numerous locations in Pennsylvania, which has always had a concealed weapon law, and have never had any problems.\" Teaberry added that the company, in posting the signs, had received \"bad advice\" from its attorneys.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry said it also has received reports that Kroger stores in the Cincinnati Division (which includes greater Dayton) had begun removing their \"no guns allowed\" signs.

\"It is not yet known if this action is in any way related to the assault and robbery of a 70-year old Kroger customer outside a posted store on May 23,\" Ohioans For Concealed Carry said in a press release.

The group\'s Business Education Task Force says it has been working to \"educate business owners about the facts surrounding concealed carry.\" The campaign includes a \"do not patronize\" list of businesses that concealed gun carriers are advised to avoid.

\"Ohioans already are being forced to learn that businesses on the Do Not Patronize While Armed list are dangerous places to be,\" said Chad Baus, OFCC spokesperson. \"Already, customers and employees at ten retail stores and banks on the list have experienced violent criminal encounters. And that\'s just the ones we know about.\"

Ohioans For Concealed Carry says it wants business owners understand that it\'s in their own best interests to remove the \"no gun\" signs -- and allow the concealed carry law to work.

Administrator

Ohio Comes Around!

I knew that it would just be a matter of time before the \"No Firearms Allowed\" signs would start to come down in Ohio. Ohio people are decently \"Salt Of The Earth\" type folks and they are not stupid people. Ohio residents can blame their liberal left anti-gun Ohio news media for all of the \"NO GUNS\" signs going UP in the first place. Business owners were lied to (big time) in the press & on Ohio radio & TV. The media hopped up & hyped up the \"concealed carry\" issue to the point of \"blood running in the streets\" & every minor argument ending up in an OK Corral gunfight on every street corner. The liberal left news media had Ohio business owners scared to death over legal and liability concerns & feared that store employees would get shot because some \"crazed gun packer\" might get upset while trying to return a quart of sour milk. I live in PA but really followed \"events\" in Ohio. Of Course - the libleft turned out to be (as usual) Totally Wrong & hopefully Basic Common Sense will start to rule the day.:)

DC Founder
    And they usually are completely wrong about all RTKBA/gun control issues. Statistics prove it.....

CHPBill
    There\'s a lot of good people in California that are being given a bad name by the liberal gun banners, as well. If I didn\'t have so much time in at the CHP I would be moving. You have room for another Californian in Arizona, Bumper?

woot! We win this round :)

Be careful of no carry signs

Just a note to anyone CCW in Ohio. The other day I went into a barber shop. I knew the barber so I just went on back. I did not see the NO CCW sign until I was inside as they had it on a tinted window.
    I later mentioned it to the owner\'s and got the \"bum\'s rush\" about not wanting someone to leave a gun on the seat for one of their kids to find and shoot.
    Just be aware that some folks putting those signs out aren\'t doing it right, . . . opening us all up for an arrest.

May God bless,
    Dwight

Originally posted by Dwight55
    Just a note to anyone CCW in Ohio.

Just be aware that some folks putting those signs out aren\'t doing it right, . . . opening us all up for an arrest.
    Before I left Ahia for FL, there was a Chrysler/Jeep dealership that posted their signs inside their deeply tinted windows. I didn\'t notice it until after we purchased our Jeep and were picking it up on our second visit. I was \"stuck\" inside the dealership while they took our old vehicle and got our new Jeep ready. I was panicing to say the least.

Later, when I took the Jeep back for its first oil change, the service center in the same building had no signs post on the garage entrance so I started carrying again while at the dealership. I had plausible denial since they weren\'t posted in the entrance I came in.

Here in FL, I\'ve only seen one NO GUN sign at the Social Security Administration building entrance in New Port Richey.

Actually, those signs remind me of this:

They might as well say, \"this institution has neither the means nor intent to resist violent crime. C\'mon in!\"

Here in Georgia, such signs are few and far between. Wachovia has them posted at most locations, and of course Waffle House has a \"no firearms\" policy, which is probably why the one five miles from me has had three on-site shootings in the last year :O

Otherwise, it\'s a don\'t-ask-don\'t-tell mentality at worst. In rural areas like mine, even open-carry only gets a second glance. Atlanta was second in the nation (behind DC) for per-capita homicide in the late 80s, and alot of folks remember that. Civilian carry in this state is what caused crime to drop so dramatically here, and even the police acknowledge it.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by dmobrien2001

Before I left Ahia for FL, there was a Chrysler/Jeep dealership that posted their signs inside their deeply tinted windows. I didn\'t notice it until after we purchased our Jeep and were picking it up on our second visit. I was \"stuck\" inside the dealership while they took our old vehicle and got our new Jeep ready. I was panicing to say the least.
    They probably would have made an exception for a paying customer. It would have been interesting to have said, \"I would really like to buy this Jeep from you but I just noticed that you have a No Weapons sign in the windows and I have to leave your property now.\";)

\"I would really like to buy this Jeep from you but I just noticed that you have a No Weapons sign in the windows and I have to leave your property now.\"

Would love to see this sometime Bumper!! :)

Congrats to the citizens of Ohio! Keep up the good work! Steven

Very cool.....glad to see this new development for the sake of my Ohio counterparts.

Sometimes I REALLY feel lucky to live in WA.....we have very few CCW restrictions.

ccw
    We had the same thing happen here in Arkansas when our carry bill was passed in 1995. After a while lot of signs were removed from business.. You would be surprised what we as a group can get accomplised if we make an atemp to discuss with management and make them aware of the business they will lose by not allowing law biding citizens in there establishment. :rock:

DC Founder
    Originally posted by ccw
    We had the same thing happen here in Arkansas when our carry bill was passed in 1995. After a while lot of signs were removed from business.. You would be surprised what we as a group can get accomplised if we make an atemp to discuss with management and make them aware of the business they will lose by not allowing law biding citizens in there establishment.
    I agree completely. CCW permit holders need become ambassadors for the cause whenever they discuss CCW issues with non permit holders. The more people we get interested in safe shooting, and ultimately CCW, the less likely politicians will move to take away our ability to exercise our right. We really do need to stick together on the issues and work toward getting a reciprocal agreement at the national level for individuals similar to the recently passed H.R.218, Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 for current and retired law enforcement officers.

Sponsored Links