What Would You Do-SC CWP & FL vs UT - Page 2

What Would You Do-SC CWP & FL vs UT

This is a discussion on What Would You Do-SC CWP & FL vs UT within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It may be out dated bro. I just checked it yesteday on their state site and it says they do. Just a tip: never go ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Would You Do-SC CWP & FL vs UT

It may be out dated bro. I just checked it yesteday on their state site and it says they do. Just a tip: never go by those "handgun" sites fully. They don't update as fast as the individual state sites do. If a law changes the state site will update first. (makes sense since all the websites get their info from the state sites).

i got a utah permit for various reasons, one being it has more states than texas. after i got it i found out that some states don't honor non-resident permits. florida being one of them. even though florida honors the utah permit mine is no good in florida because it is a non-resident permit. there are a few more states that don't honor them but florida is the only one i know of off hand. i find this kinda funny because florida gives out non-resident permits. you need to check into that before you decide on which one you go with. if i have read that information wrong someone please correct me on this because i would like to carry in florida.

Quote Originally Posted by LMmarine86 View Post
    I wish mine came that quick. State law may require an issue before 90, but I doubt it says the individual has to have it in 90 days. At any rate, looks like you could be waiting anywhere from 2-5 months. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it gets to you faster than it got to me.
    dude i will totally raise hell, not literally but sled will get tired of me calling weekly if it takes 5 months...thats nuts....

If you dont mind I ask was your past clear? any thing to cause a hold up?, I cant believe they didnt give you a reason as to why it took so long other than limited manning and alot of permits thats no excuse they should let the county sheriffs take care of cwp's if they cant handle it...

hey any good gun shops, military stores, tach stores etc up in columbia espcially that sells 5.11 & blackhawk
    NRA Member
    US Concealed Carry Member
    SC GrassRoots Member
    American Criminal Justice Association Member
    Glock 23
    Taurus PT709SS

Quote Originally Posted by DropTop View Post
    i got a utah permit for various reasons, one being it has more states than texas. after i got it i found out that some states don't honor non-resident permits. florida being one of them. even though florida honors the utah permit mine is no good in florida because it is a non-resident permit. there are a few more states that don't honor them but florida is the only one i know of off hand. i find this kinda funny because florida gives out non-resident permits. you need to check into that before you decide on which one you go with. if i have read that information wrong someone please correct me on this because i would like to carry in florida.
    yea I looked into it between my FL non res and my Sc res I will be legal in the states I want/need
    NRA Member
    SC GrassRoots Member
    Glock 23
    Taurus PT709SS

Quote Originally Posted by USNma03 View Post
    dude i will totally raise hell, not literally but sled will get tired of me calling weekly if it takes 5 months...thats nuts....

If you dont mind I ask was your past clear? any thing to cause a hold up?, I cant believe they didnt give you a reason as to why it took so long other than limited manning and alot of permits thats no excuse they should let the county sheriffs take care of cwp's if they cant handle it...

hey any good gun shops, military stores, tach stores etc up in columbia espcially that sells 5.11 & blackhawk
    no, I don't mind you asking. The only thing I have on my record is a speeding ticket back in 02. Nothing else that could possibly hold it up. I'm a marksmanship instructor in the Marines so maybe they verified my certification but other than that no reason for it to be delayed. I got mine back in January so maybe the staffing issue is resolved now. Def'n blow up their phones tho if it passes 90. I wasn't really too concerned about mine that's why I didn't pursue it after the 90 days. I kinda had the frame of mind that it will come in when it comes in.

As for gun shops etc., I found a cool place called shooters choice up there where I always go shoot. They have alot of everything. I'm only there with my wife on the weekends. Weekdays I'm down in Beaufort, so I haven't been able to really look for other shops up there.

So I finally got around to finishing up all my documents photos etc for my SC CWP, I mailed it off today to SLED in Columbia!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOOO Cant Wait!!!!!!!!!!!

I have talked to a few other SC cwp holders and turn around is roughly 90-120 days from what I'm hearing, I just wanted to check and see what other SC cwp holders experienced time frame wise to recieve their permit. I figure with the holidays I hopefully plan on recieving it hopefully sometime in Febuary, maybe it will be a Bday present to me as mine is the 10th of FEB.

I'm debating on whether to get my UT or FL non resident permit, I need to be able to carry in the entire southeast to include LA, MS, GA, FL, TN, AL, SC, & NC both would enable me to do so and with either/or I'll be legal in roughly 33 states, so the only issue is cost and the ability to apply for the FL permit w/o having my sc cwp already, (is this correct???), is UT the same or I need my Sc CWP first???

UT is cheaper at 66.25$ vs FL 117.00$ But I have met the FL training req being active military but for UT I'll have to complete a course by a UT certified instructor which would even out the cost....

What Shall I do....any suggestions..What Would You Do

I searched and google my options before I asked just to be semi straight before i asked advice
    UT will get you MN and WA, which FL will not. Otherwise same reciprocity.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

just remember in NC it isn't a Concealed Weapons Permit, only a Concealed Handgun Permit.

120 days?! Franklin County Ohio averages 24 hours from what I hear... I take my class this sunday so I'll find out next week if thats true!
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by NCConcealed View Post
    just remember in NC it isn't a Concealed Weapons Permit, only a Concealed Handgun Permit.
    Well, truth be known in fact SC's permit is only a Handgun permit. Even thought it is legally called a a concealed weapons permit it really only permits carry of a handgun. Because the only thing it defines as a weapon that it gives permit to carry is a handgun.

I think mine came in like 65 days back in the day. It does appear they only have one guy that tries to deal with the permits. And there has been some turn over in that position recently too.

I have always been told that the best way for a South Carolinian to extend his/her coverage most was with first, New Hampshire and second was Pennsylvania.

New Hampshire Non-resident Pistol Permit.

To get the New Hampshire Non-resident Pistol Permit you first must have your South Carolina CWP, http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...ts/dssp260.pdf . Fill out the form online, print it out, sign it, and mail it in with a copy of your SC CWP and a check for $100.00.

Pennsylvania, License to Carry Firearm.

This link will give you instructions and applications: Centre County Government: Sheriff: License to Carry Firearm Application The cost is only $26.00.

Lead Moderator
    UT is cheaper at 66.25$ vs FL 117.00$ But I have met the FL training req being active military but for UT I'll have to complete a course by a UT certified instructor which would even out the cost....

What Shall I do....any suggestions..What Would You Do
    Not that it's that big a deal, FL is currently good for 7 years, UT 5 years. UT is easier to renew...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    My SC permit took the full 90 days. I went with the NH non-res only because at the time it was around $20. But now that it's $100 I will problaby make a trip to Fl when renewal time comes around. Either Fl or NH will cover you in every state as you travel to La. PA will not cover you when you're in AL so that's the reason I didn't go with them.
    Right now I carry SC, NH non-res and Maine non-res and that pretty much covers me everywhere I go.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I'm going to go ahead and send my FL non resident permit in, got it notarized today at work, I will be in SC for a while at least the next 5-7 years, so renewal for the FL permit will be easier bc I can drive down if I want, not to mention I can mail my FL non res w/o having my SC permit right now instead of waiting 2-3 months for the SC one to come in

I'll be getting the states I need and theres only a tad difference in FL vs. NH, Fl is every 7yrs and NH is every 4yrs, of course FL is 117$ & NH is 100$, I'd rather get both back my SC & FL within the next 2-3 months and not have to worry about my permits for the next 5 years...

Got everything together plan on mailing it off on Monday
    NRA Member
    SC GrassRoots Member
    Glock 23
    Taurus PT709SS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links