my wife just told me

This is a discussion on my wife just told me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well actually it was a few days ago, she mentioned that she wanted to learn to shoot. She actually did one night of shooting back ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my wife just told me

my wife just told me

Well actually it was a few days ago, she mentioned that she wanted to learn to shoot. She actually did one night of shooting back twenty years ago when she was getting her criminal justice degree. She decided not to go into that field however so she hasn't shot a gun since.
    We have been married for 6 months, and had no problem with me carrying. My EDC is the snub nose 38 we found when we cleaned out her dad's house after he passed away. I "bought" it from the estate for a pack of shingles and 12 hours roof repair on the house. (I would have done the repairs for her anyways.)
    I don't know if she will be getting a CPL, but at least I will feel better knowing she knows how to safely handle the gun if she needs to.
    Hopefully the weather will be nice enough Saturday so we can go shoot on my mothers back woodlot. I'll start the wife out on my mothers 22 revolver.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Great, it's a start... Even if she doesn't want her CPL, right now, you two can enjoy a hobby together....Once she starts, she'll probably want her CPL...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Great News Ted, and Mrs Ted too.
    If she is anything like me, watch out, you'll have a standing date to go shooting every weekend
    If she enjoys it I hope she does consider getting a CPL as well.
    She may not carry everyday, everywhere, but for the times you aren't with her, she will have a way of defending herself, staying safe and coming home everyday.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

That is a step in the right direction!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sounds like good times! Seems you got a plan! Hope you guys have a good time. I'm sure she'll want to go shooting more often too!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Smile Lucky Man

Good for you Ted. My wife is indifferent to the shooting sports. She likes that I carry but does not see the need for her to carry.....yet.
    "In a moment of crisis you will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training". http://www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com

VIP Member
    Have fun, KISS (do I need to splain the acronym?)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

My wife has implied that she would be willing to learn to shoot as well.

There was a break in in a home one neighborhood down from us( the wife and kids were the only ones home, they ran and are ok), police were parked down our street watching things that night.

She wants to know she could protect herself if I was gone, sounds like we are in kind of the same boat! ( we have been married for 4 1/2 months)
    Last edited by Kenny256; October 29th, 2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: none
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Congrats! My g/f has only been a few times, but seems to like it... Btw, does anyone have any tips for teaching a lady how to load a magazine? She tries and tries and only manages 7 or 8 out of 16 rounds in the magazine before giving up.

Music stores have a finger strengthening tool for guitarists...
    You could always try that?
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Yeah for the Mrs.! Hate to break it to you though, a nice, shiny new gun, while a wonderful present, is still no substitute for jewelry!

~~sorry...quick highjack~~

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Congrats! My g/f has only been a few times, but seems to like it... Btw, does anyone have any tips for teaching a lady how to load a magazine? She tries and tries and only manages 7 or 8 out of 16 rounds in the magazine before giving up.
    check out MAGLOADER Pistol Magazine Speed Loader it's a great little gadget and has definitely saved my nails on more then one occasion
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

22's are great starter guns,I fire thousands of rounds of 22 even today to work on the basics
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I agree the .22 is a great starter gun. That is how I got my wife and kids to understand how a firearm works and feels when shooting. Something like the
    .22 is easy to control and being able to hit the target will gain their interest a bit more....Good luck & stay safe...
    "Rhino"

Much agreed in beginning with a .22 or similar caliber. My wife expressed a willingness to shoot again, she had only fired one handgun in her life and that was a .44 magnum that her boss owned at the Pipe Plant she worked at in IL back a few years ago.

Basically, started her out on the function of the weapon before we ever put cartridges in it. Then to the range, started with .22 then to .38spl, 9mm and finally .357 magnum.

She now has her carry permit and loves to shoot, much better than me I'm proud to say.

Take it in small steps and you will find she will love to hit the range and the targets!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Teaching your wife to shoot could be really bad for your health.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links