CC in School Parking Lot (News Article)

This is a discussion on CC in School Parking Lot (News Article) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Source Friday, October 30, 2009 Violence between adults on Huntington ISD property last week has brought the issue of handguns on campus to light. Two ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC in School Parking Lot (News Article)

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar

CC in School Parking Lot (News Article)

Source
    Friday, October 30, 2009

Violence between adults on Huntington ISD property last week has brought the issue of handguns on campus to light.

Two men, including a school student's parent and the husband of the Huntington High School principal, were arrested Oct. 22 after bringing a bat and a gun to a confrontation in front of the district police officer.

Greg Boston, 38, is charged with felony exhibition of a firearm for grabbing a .380 handgun out of his truck when confronted by a bat-wielding Frank Williams, 67, husband of principal Jennifer Williams.

Boston and his attorney both declined to comment on the case. Williams and his wife did not respond to an e-mailed request for comment and could not be reached by phone.

Superintendent Eric Wright declined to comment on the incident Wednesday, as it did not directly involve a student or employee.

A phone message and open records request sent to the office of Chief Michael Jinkins, campus security, did not get a response by late Thursday.

It is legal for a person with a concealed handgun permit to carry a gun in their vehicle into a school parking lot, but not into any school buildings, or into an area where sports are played, according to Texas Education Code information provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety. If signs specifically prohibit weapons in a certain area, then they are not allowed.

Concealed permit carriers may not exhibit, use or threaten to exhibit the weapon anywhere on school property, the code states.

It was not clear Thursday whether Boston holds a concealed handgun permit. Information on who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun is kept secret by law except from police, according to the DPS.

Should Boston be convicted of the charge of felony exhibition of a firearm for his alleged involvement in the incident, he would not be eligible to apply for a concealed permit.

Both men are out on bond, and are innocent until proven guilty. The next step in the case would be to present evidence to a grand jury, to decide whether the case against either man would move forward.
    Great... just great! What I don't get, is if he pulled it in defense. I mean, if someone is charging you with a baseball bat, what are you supposed to do? Now if he's just holding the bat, but not advancing or threatening, then who knows.

Not a lot of facts are listed.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like justified self defense to me. Did the other guy have a permit for the bat ? Also it sounds like the reporter is biased against having a firearm.

Semper Fi

"It is legal for a person with a concealed handgun permit to carry a gun in their vehicle into a school parking lot, but not into any school buildings, or into an area where sports are played, according to Texas Education Code information provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety. If signs specifically prohibit weapons in a certain area, then they are not allowed.

Concealed permit carriers may not exhibit, use or threaten to exhibit the weapon anywhere on school property, the code states."

I'm a little confused. Does this law actually state that it is okay to have your weapon but then ban you from using it to protect yourself? Am I just supposed to let the guy with the bat have at me?

Also, I agree that it seems like not all of the facts were presented here, and the ones that were, were presented with an anti-gun bias.

I agree with others, in that we do not have all the facts and the reporter is obviously telling it from a one sided prospective.

I do have one question:
    If a police officer was standing nearby why did he/she not intervene, and stop the bat wheedling citizen

I would have done the same thing if some angry guy is coming at me with a bat in his hand.

Why is the article referencing the Education Code and not the Penial Code section dealing with handguns? You do not need a Concealed License to have a concealed handgun in you vehicle in the state of Texas. That includes school parking lots.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeinOK View Post
    I'm a little confused. Does this law actually state that it is okay to have your weapon but then ban you from using it to protect yourself? Am I just supposed to let the guy with the bat have at me?
    Yup. It is a "Defense to Prosecution", that you would have been justified in using the gun in an applicable SD situation.

The problem I see is that everyone associated with the school, is going to slant things to defend the principal's husband. Notice, they didn't bring up what the principal's husband was charged with.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    Why is the article referencing the Education Code and not the Penial Code section dealing with handguns? You do not need a Concealed License to have a concealed handgun in you vehicle in the state of Texas. That includes school parking lots.
    Because the education code is much more restrictive than the penal code and can be applied because incident happened on school property. The schools can file charges under the education code, because alot of the definitions are different. It's aimed at keeping the kids and parents under the thumb of the school district.

Examples:
    A Gerber Multi-tool, doesn't fall under the definition of a weapon in the penal code. It is considered a weapon, under the education code and a student can be expelled from school, for having one in his car. This happened to a friend of ours.

Under the education code, school districts can enact more stringent rules for attendance and truancy, than the state law. Our JP is so overwhelmed with truancy cases, because the school district reduced allowed absences by 75%. He dismisses all the cases, unless the kids are back for the 4th time in the same school year.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Once again a law abiding citz. is being charged with a b.s. charge. What ever judge lets this stand should not be re-elected... Bad Guys will keep being bad guys and break all the laws while the good guys get the short end of the stick... thats America for you...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I think that both are 'marooons'...adults (employee spouse and a parent?) fighting in a school parking lot?
    Both should be charged with 'stupidity' and any other crimes that were committed.
    When one came with a bat the other should have run, not go get a gun..what was he thinking?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not enough info IMO.

Why the bat? Had there been threats made by Mr. Gun Owner?
    When did the gun come out? What was said first, by whom?

Are both idiots? Maybe. May even be likely.
    Just hard to tell with another article written by stellar graduate of typical journalism school.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Situation sounds strange. What is one guy thinking, attacking with a bat!!!
    Much more information is needed. Also sounds like the school code has gotten
    way out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Sounds like justified self defense to me. Did the other guy have a permit for the bat ? Also it sounds like the reporter is biased against having a firearm.

Semper Fi
    I agree, and think any jury will see it that way also, especially in Texas.

If the gun owner was ccw and attacked then pulled the gun everything would make sense, but getting the gun from his car trunk makes me wonder if it was "mutual combat".

Quote Originally Posted by 86thecat View Post
    ... makes me wonder if it was "mutual combat".
    I know this was in TX, but in CO, we actually have a law covering that (Mutual Combat) whereas neither party can be charged.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links