Blue collar types; carrying while wearing tools

This is a discussion on Blue collar types; carrying while wearing tools within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use a tool belt and finally came up with a solution. I bought a gear pouch that attaches to my tool belt. It has ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue collar types; carrying while wearing tools

VIP Member
    I use a tool belt and finally came up with a solution. I bought a gear pouch that attaches to my tool belt. It has a zipper on it. I carry my 642 airweight in it. A heavy gun just wouldnt work. It's actually easy to get to the gun.
    Last edited by kentuckycarry; October 30th, 2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: add word
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

2. Remove Ads

I worked as a carpenter before, i used tall work boots that fit snug well up over the ankle, then i used a good ankle holster with a .38 snubnose strapped right above the boot and the boot would keep it up. then make sure your pants are long enough to touch the back sole of your shoe and you should be fine, my brother wears these redwing workboots that where pull on like cowboy boots, he could fit anything down there under the leather and with the pants over you would never see it

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Keeping the pistol in my tool bags is not an option. Because of my foreman duties, I frequently take off my bags to attend meetings, coordinate people, etc. I have eyed the holster shirts, before.
    Yep, keeping a pistol in your bags is a BIG no no, truck is out as well.. I leave the keys in the truck that way if my truck needs moved the operators don't have to waste time finding me. I never worried about accessing a gun when my bags were on, plenty of available CQC weapons... framers hatchet, chisel, screwdriver, etc. I opted for pocket carrying a P3AT, worked well for me.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Pocket carry might be your best option.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

CrossBreed tuckable IWB style holster.

I am a field service mechanic, and I carry a full size auto all day every day @ 4 O'clock.

I have not had a problem with tool belts, Tac Vest (I use it as a tool carrier when I have to work on something that going back and forth to my truck is not easily done and the area is confined) and a Japanese Slingshot (OSHA fall protection harness).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Hate to say it but carrying on most construction sites is the fast lane to unemployment. Look at your job board usally theres a sign telling you this. In 25 years I don't think I've been on a job site that allowed fire arms. In my opinion it's a bad mix. I carry and lock pistol in truck in a safe.

Quote Originally Posted by flor1 View Post
    Hate to say it but carrying on most construction sites is the fast lane to unemployment. Look at your job board usally theres a sign telling you this. In 25 years I don't think I've been on a job site that allowed fire arms. In my opinion it's a bad mix. I carry and lock pistol in truck in a safe.
    Personal choice. Always Carry, Never Tell. If I am not in violation of any laws, Company policy and rules be damned. They have to find out about it first.

If they find out in the process of my defending my life, I could care less if I am unemployed. I am alive and uninjured.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

pax
    flor1 ~

I worked for a private contractor and there was no such policy on our jobs. Might have been different if we were a union shop, but we weren't.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I would say pocket carry is the best option. I would use a pocket holster or a reinforced pocket, preferably with a traditional double action or double action only pistol or revolver. That will minimize damage to the gun from physical body contact with heavy objects, and will also prevent accidental discharges and sagging.

I think you have some advantages as a construction worker when it comes to pocket carry. You have heavier, more durable clothes, with larger pockets, which can support the pocket carry of larger guns, or the very comfortable carry of smaller guns.

And you need not insist on strong-side pocket carry. If you wear overalls, you also have the option of front pocket carry, and if you wear cargo pants, you can carry a small gun in a cargo pocket (though this can be awkward). You might also try to fit a very small pistol in a back pocket, or even in a special pocket inside a tool box you carry with you everywhere, though there are some problems with off-body carry.

Whatever you choose, practice enough so you can operate effectively and discreetly in your everyday work environment, as well as in a defensive combat situation.
    9mm Walther P5 Compact

.380 and .32 Interarms Walther PPK/S

.380 and .32 Interarms Walther PPK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links