Had To Abandon Concealment This Morning...

This is a discussion on Had To Abandon Concealment This Morning... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So yesterday morning I had to have a blood draw at Mayo Clinic. Since this event doesn't involve a Doc's exam with stethoscope pokes around ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had To Abandon Concealment This Morning...

Had To Abandon Concealment This Morning...

So yesterday morning I had to have a blood draw at Mayo Clinic. Since this event doesn't involve a Doc's exam with stethoscope pokes around my abdomen, I generally carry concealed as I do daily.

Well, I was wearing a new Army pullover windshirt I just bought yesterday. I've got several other windshirts and they all have a short zipper on the left side from the waist up about 10" or so. This one doesn't, so I found that it's a bit harder to slip into.

When wearing a shirt like this, rather than try to slide the sleeve up, I slide my right arm out of the sleeve inside of the shirt. I then raise the shirt up to expose my right arm for the poke.

I know, long setup to the story here, but I've had literally hundreds of blood draws and that's my routine with any pullover garment.

As I struggled to do this move with this "non zipper" windshirt, I thought about simply taking the shirt off. But this would put me in an open carry situation--legal in MN, but in my mind I visualized the possibility of a sheep stampede at conservative stodgy Mayo!

Rather than continue the gyrations, I decided to take the windshirt off, putting me in OC mode. As I did that I was chatting with two fellows there after they had complimented the new shirt. Neither even moved their gaze to my waist area...I'm positive they never saw the pistol then, during, or after the blood draw.

I've had similar experiences in other settings, and am totally convinced I could be carrying an RPG launcher and nobody would notice!

This encourages me in a direction I've been considering, and that is occasional open carry. I'd first be prepared with responses I'd use depending on the type of comment folks may make if they do notice, with the thought of educating and not alienating.

Please don't start up a debate about CC vs. OC--I post this to suggest that sometimes we may need to reveal our carry status, and when we do it likely will not be the dreadful event that could be playing in our heads!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    You would pretty much have to "play to the audience." As you suggested, the Mayo Clinic might be a place where a panic could be caused. But then again, if it's legal to OC in your state and it's not posted....
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I've had similar experiences in other settings, and am totally convinced I could be carrying an RPG launcher and nobody would notice!
    Or, they notice, make a mental note, and move on without letting you know that they notice.

Congrats on not having an "incident" and being able to deal with that in a calm manner, you never know what might happen when you break concealment ...glad that such a well known institution isn't posted, unusual these days.

A few months ago my physician unexpectedly asked for an EKG while I was in just to do some routine paperwork, so my G23 was IWB as usual...obviously I was asked to remove my shirt for the EKG. I debated whether to disarm and put the firearm under a shirt on the counter, but decided not to so I could keep control of it.

In any case, when the Nurse came back in, my Glock was blatantly sticking way up out of my pants and she either never noticed or never indicated that she did. Further, when I met with my Doctor, who I hadn't met before, a few minutes later (with my shirt on), she made a comment, during the course of the routine interview, about my weight increasing by about 2 lbs during each of the last three appointments (...BUG, then BUG and primary, then BUG, primary and ammo; my town is getting alot more 'interesting' lately) so I informed her that it was "off" by a few pounds each time and that I'd rather not explain why unless she really wanted me too. She said "Oh! Ok, don't worry about it then." I guess either she's used to all the LE and retired military in my area coming in armed, or the nurse told her and she already knew.

Anyway, great experience in my mind, glad to hear its not entirely uncommon with doctors now.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I think people are not observant. I saw a guy in blue jeans and a white knit shirt open carry into an Aldi Store recently. His wife and toddler were with him. I did not observe one person in that store that scanned his clothing or looked, stared, remarked or anything. It seemed nobody noticed while I was there.

If I had to move about MN, in the big city, and I had to choose between an new tight army shirt with no gun, and a more comfortable 'larger' shirt with my gun...there's not, IMHO, much of a choice.

I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    This thread of course raises the ever-present "which RPG" debate.

Seriously, most sheep just don't notice. Glad you had a good experience. Be thankful that you live in a state with that option.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    I think most people don't even see the gun, or if they do a lot of them assume your LEO, if your carrying openly. I don't antagonize the sheep, I just go about my business and let them go about theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    This thread of course raises the ever-present "which RPG" debate.
    Right, do you go with the smaller, less powerful RPG-7 when you're not dressed to conceal a stinger?

We won't even talk about whether you keep one in the pipe.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

After trying OC a few times, I found that I don't worry any more about someone finding out that I CC.

VIP Member
    Hmmm. If you are talking about Mayo in Rochester, isn't the place posted?

I know I saw no gun/weapons signs all over the place when last there a year or so ago. I am not sufficiently familiar with MN rules to know if those signs have validity as far as being enforceable--that is, getting arrested if found to be in violation.

Yes, MN is nice in that the license is good for both types of carry, but what about obeying the signs?

I have a CC license in Ky and open carry is perfectly legal. My concern is always the old story of a horses behind who thinks it will be "macho" to rag someone with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Hmmm. If you are talking about Mayo in Rochester, isn't the place posted?

I know I saw no gun/weapons signs all over the place when last there a year or so ago. I am not sufficiently familiar with MN rules to know if those signs have validity as far as being enforceable--that is, getting arrested if found to be in violation.

Yes, MN is nice in that the license is good for both types of carry, but what about obeying the signs?
    I'm curious too. I dont recall any postings, but then again it was a while ago, and I wasnt paying much attention to that sort of stuff while I was there.

VIP Member

It was very clearly posted in Oct 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    I'm curious too. I dont recall any postings, but then again it was a while ago, and I wasnt paying much attention to that sort of stuff while I was there.
    Mayo Clinic Rochester was very clearly posted when I was there in Oct 2008. Again, I have no idea if those signs mean anything legally in MN since I'm not from there.

It is always a good idea to look around before you enter a facility like that because most of the time it will be posted and often it is a matter of law that it is a gun free zone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Mayo Clinic Rochester was very clearly posted when I was there in Oct 2008. Again, I have no idea if those signs mean anything legally in MN since I'm not from there.

It is always a good idea to look around before you enter a facility like that because most of the time it will be posted and often it is a matter of law that it is a gun free zone as well.
    Mayo Clinic-Rochester was posted back in about 2003-2004 or so. Hasn't been posted for 4 years at least, I don't recall exactly even though I'm in a number of their buildings at least weekly.

You are mistaken, Hopyard, I am certain that Mayo Clinic-Rochester was not posted as recently as 2008. I live four miles from their front door and know these things....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links