Defensive Carry banner

What's more Important to you

4K views 53 replies 50 participants last post by  Glock40Texan 
#1 ·
What's more Important to you comfort? Or Your protection. Ive been reading a lot about carrying your pistol in comfort. What is more Important to you. For me to carry a full size Auto (which is what I am better at hitting the target with ) sometimes i sacrifice comfort for protecting my self and family. What is more important to you? Think about it and post your opinions I would like to know.

#33 ·
Comfort is a secondary consideration for me... let's face it, carrying at all is at best inconvenient. But with the great holsters available today, there's little reason that you can't carry darn near anything you want in reasonable comfort! :yup:

#34 ·
An effective firearm which I can effectively deploy is more important to me than a certain amount of comfort.

Carrying a .25acp or .32acp auto would be "comfortable" for me... until I needed to USE it against somebody trying to kill me with a .38 Special revolver.

I don't and won't carry anything smaller or lighter than an airweight S&W J frame. I routinely carry a 2" Model 36. If that's too big and heavy for you, I don't know what to tell you.

#35 ·
You may guess my opinion by looking at my signature.

Early in my carry days, 2003, I sought out "comfy guns"...Glock 26, S&W 642, etc. They are viable for carry, so I'm not knocking those choices, but if I ever get into a gunfight I want the gun I shoot best.

So, increasingly I'm carrying my SIG P229 SAS and now my Beretta 92G-SD. I shoot the Beretta in USPSA, so I'm most skilled with it, and thanks to a great new holster from TT Gunleather it has become a regular carry.

#38 ·
For me it's;

1) Protection
2) Concealability. If I can't conceal it effectively, I won't carry it.
3) Comfort. For me comfort pretty much comes in last.

Now for me, I can pretty much conceal with most my attire a G-23 primary and a XD9sc BUG so I pretty much have items 1 & 2 covered. As far as comfort goes, I have gotten some nice custom holsters which makes all the difference in the world regarding the comfort factor.

#39 ·
In my line of work, I need to carry very discreetly. Often, an OWB holster is out of the question, and I never liked IWB holsters, ankle holsters, and bellybands, and I don't think off-body carry is a good idea.

So, I settled for pocket carry, which necessitates a relatively small and comfortable handgun. I have large, deep, and heavily reinforced pockets, which can accomodate any gun with a length of 7'' or less. The gun should also be without sharp edges that snag, and is preferably a slim, single-stack pistol (I prefer pistols to revolvers).

I got used to pocket carry, and realized that it is incredibly comfortable. That means it is easy, and even second-nature, to carry anytime, anywhere. Actually, nothing is more comfortable or natural, in my opinion. And if I'm carrying everyday, everywhere, and I regularly maintain and practice with my weapon, then I certainly feel protected too.

You might say I'm more toward the comfort side, but I believe I have a good balance of both that fits my needs perfectly. Every man must find his balance based on his needs and preferences.

#40 ·
I carry the biggest gun I can for what I'm wearing. Normally its a 40 with a 5"bbl. I dont find it too uncomfortable. As a matter of fact, when I can use my paddle holster, its as comfy as carrying a smaller gun. I carry my 642 when I have to and of course its more comfy. But I'm willing to settle for a little more discomfort to have a big gun on me.

#41 ·
Comfort has always taken a back seat as far as I'm concerned with CC. It has to be this way so long as one's willing to make things work. I'm not saying CC needs to be painful, just working with things should take some trials and tribulations, and if you go to whining too soon, you'll end up being one of those people I can spot in a restaurant as being part of the membership I'd never want to be stuck with in a back room in a hostage situation.

#43 ·
I'm willing to endure a little discomfort in order to carry a gun that I feel is up to the task. That's the reason I don't own an LCP. I REALLY mean no offense to those who own one, but a .380 is below my comfort level (please, no caliber war in this thread).

For example, tonight when I took the kids for Trick-or-Treating, I carried a Taurus PT145 in an IWB holster. It was totally comfortable everywhere except sitting in my truck and driving. Still not intolerable, but not exactly lounging in the easy chair, either. I would love the comfort of just slipping an LCP in the right front pocket and forgetting about it, but I would feel underpowered, so the tradeoff is worth it to me.

#44 ·
The size of gun I carry (FNP 40) as well as my soon-to-be next gun, a Beretta PX4 Storm - seems to suit me best. At this point I don't want to go any smaller. I don't knock the subcompacts, I just don't feel comfortable holding and shooting them. So I live with some physical discompfort.
As well, anything bigger like a 1911 or a 92F is too tough to conceal, for me anyway.

#45 ·
And I suppose it helps to keep me from forgetting I'm carrying, like that poor guy in Grahamsville NY. I carry forward of my right hip (is that "appendix carry"?) and believe me, when I'm in the car or seated in a diner, I KNOW it's there, jabbing me in the thigh!

#46 ·
Well here is a bucket of gas to throw on this fire. I think most spend more time and thought than is necessary on the question--is my gun big enough??

You are all willing to sacrifice comfort to be better prepared for the off chance that you might need your gun. The odd of us needing the weapon are small, but your odds of being in a car wreck are much greater, so do you all wear a helmet and a 4 point safety harness??? It would be far, far more useful in a accident than just a seat belt and maybe air bags. Comfortable---NO comforting---yes.

I am betting none of you use those tools for a higher level of protection that the odds are far higher you will need then a gun.

If we were in law enforcement or a similar field, I could agree the larger / high capacity guns would be a must, but most of us are not in that field.

Most here already have the most important thing to bring to a gun fight----a gun. In a true gun fight, sure a bigger 1 would be better, just like being in a auto accident, I would sure wish I had a helmet and 4 point safety harness on, but not all things are practical.

Yes I carry a 380, and don't think twice about it.........

Z

#52 ·
I can see your point. In my case, I happen to own three compact .45's. Now, if my only carry options were to be between an 8-inch barreled .44 Magnum revolver or a mousegun, I would probably have to lean toward the mousegun. Fortunately, I have some nice compromises.

#48 ·
I, like many others are willing to give up a little comfort to carry discreetly. With that said, I had to decide on how much I was willing to dress around my weapon. Now that the cooler weather is here and am wearing heavier clothes, I tend to carry a Speed Six all of the time that I'm away from the house.

#50 ·
I shoot my G26 as well as my P95, so not really a big deal for me especially when I can carry G17 mags if I want. I can shoot most 9mm's about the same, which is why I've settled on them for my carry guns.

/10 round mags are fine with me

#51 ·
I like my 357 sp101.
Doesnt print at all with the holster I ended up making myself that also holds a full speed strip and enough power for a two shot salvo to stop pretty much anyone I need to stop.

I dont see any reason to have to choose. My holster is comfortable enough and concealed well enough that sometimes I forget Im even carrying.

#53 ·
For me comfort is a top priority because I know that if a gun isnt comfortable to carry the likely hood of leaving it at home goes up drastically. Now don't get me wrong. It's doesn't need to be so comfortable that I don't know it's there. It just needs to be comfortable to the point that I don't feel like it is getting in my way. yesterday was my first full carry day with my new S&W 908 and while it's a tad bigger then my 709 it's just as easy to carry. But that's about where I draw the line on size. Anything bigger then that and i have to constantly be aware of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.