Sober at a Party Where Alcohol is Served - Page 3

Sober at a Party Where Alcohol is Served

This is a discussion on Sober at a Party Where Alcohol is Served within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Three weeks ago I went to a good housewarmeng party. There was light to moderate drinking. No problems at all. I carried all of the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sober at a Party Where Alcohol is Served

Three weeks ago I went to a good housewarmeng party. There was light to moderate drinking. No problems at all. I carried all of the time.
    That said, there are parties that I do not go to because of the potential for trouble and my unwillingness to disarm.
    If I was to go to a party that started to get out of hand, then I'd leave at that point in time.

I don't drink, and I do carry. Period. I don't care where it's at.... as long as it's legal. My judgment won't be any different whether I'm dealing with someone else who's sober, or drunk.

Legal to carry at a house when OTHERS are drinking. I would think so. . . however, should you be there when, as others have pointed out, depends upon they type of people who will be there. Anyone going to turn into jerk and get tough etc. Avoid such instances at all costs cuz it could cost all. my .02 worth.

My days of hard partying are long over. I carry. Guess it boils down to what each individual is comfortable with and what is legal.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Sober at a Party Where Alcohol is Served
    Well, to be quite frank with you....some days, you'd have to pay me to do something like that! If I'm going to the party, I'll bet I aint carrying unless I'm going to be the designated driver. If I'm going to the party as a designated driver, there had better be some good benefits to go along with it, or I won't be there at all. Before you call me just remember......everyone has their price.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Three weeks ago I went to a good housewarmeng party. There was light to moderate drinking. No problems at all. I carried all of the time.
    That said, there are parties that I do not go to because of the potential for trouble and my unwillingness to disarm.
    If I was to go to a party that started to get out of hand, then I'd leave at that point in time.
    Agreed. It's about making a prudent decision. A bad decision would be like being armed and the designated driver and going out with the buddies to a strip club known for having drunken brawls.

Reply from Michigan

Well I think I only saw one other reply from someone in Michigan. I apoligize if I missed someone.
    Michigan only has two stipulations regarding alcohol and Concealed Carry.

1. Blood alcohol cannot exceed .02 with out being at the minimum a civil infraction. BAC of .08 to .10 is a misdemeanor, and the licensing board MAY revoke the license. Above .10 is a misdemeanor and the board WILL revoke the license. An interesting point here is that the statue starts off by saying that;

"An individual shall not carry a concealed pistol while he or she is under the influence of alcoholic liquor or a controlled substance or while having a bodily alcohol content prohibited under this section."

so it could be construed that if they consider you "Under the influence" no matter what your BAC, you could be charged!

2. No carry zones include ;
    "A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises."

The word primary in the above sentence is deemed to mean "More that 50%". This becomes a gray area since it's really hard to determine, even the owner may not know the percentage of income from alcohol. There is also the difference between income and profit.

My own personal interpatation here is, resturants are OK. Bars are not. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    1) Don't do stupid things!
    2) Avoid stupid people!
    3) Don't go to places where stupid things happen!
    That's probably how I feel most about it. I would especially hate being the designated driver and carrying when my fellow passengers could be acting silly and draw the attention of LE. Then he/she comes to the window and smells booze and I have to explain to their satisfaction that not only am I not drinking but am in possession of a firearm. That's a tap dance I just don't want to have to do.

Not sure about the laws were everyone else is but here in SC if you go to someone else’s house you are required by law to ask permission to enter the house with a weapon. So if it is the same where you live I would take that into consideration.

i know where your coming from. i am president of my frat. now 23 w my ccw. i dont drink, but my bros do. last year out with them at a house party on the deck when a neighbor comes out with a pistol out waving it in the air yelling about beer cans in his yard. luckly we offered him some beer and apologized and he went back home. lol could have been alot worse though...
    "with great power comes great responsibility"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links