Simple Airline Travel Question - Page 2

Simple Airline Travel Question

This is a discussion on Simple Airline Travel Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't forget the most important thing of all: If you put your pistol inside your regular luggage, your luggage WILL NOT get lost. It's the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Don't forget the most important thing of all: If you put your pistol inside your regular luggage, your luggage WILL NOT get lost. It's the closest thing you can have to a courier deliver it.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I've always packed my pistol case (locked, of course) inside my luggage, which is also locked as well.

JMHO, but it seems to me that my pistol case stowed out-of-sight inside my luggage would be somewhat less likely to walk away versus an obvious pistol case being alone and handled by who know's who?
    Pack a locked hard side gun case in your regular luggage, out-of-sight out-of mind, you keep the key, allow extra time to check in. When you arrive at destination, FIRST THING, check it is still there... all should go well. But TSA does not allow you to lock your luggage itself. If they decide to randomly check your bag, they will either break the lock or pull you off the flight with your luggage and check it. You could miss your flight.

Man, thanks everyone. It seems the general consensus is to definitely pack my pistol case within my regular luggage to have them checked together. I appreciate everyone's help. DefensiveCarry is easily the best forum on the 'net. Thanks again.

Well then, after I clicked the link to the descriptive article on page one of this thread, I'm torn between using my hard case alone for the gun and my main baggage separately, or packing a smaller case with the gun within my main baggage. I have some serious thinking to do.

Quote Originally Posted by I carry IWB View Post
    So you suggest I pack my pistol case inside of my suitcase together? You don't think the airline will make me separate them?
    Yes...pack pistol case in suitcase.

No...the airline will not make you separate them.

Been flying with guns for years...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I store the small pistol safe in my luggage and wrap the cable that came with it around the support for the handle. That way it will be less likely to grow legs.

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    Anybody had any experience with a lay over and change of flight? Especially one that may go through gun unfriendly states like IL or WI?
    There have been reported problems with NYC airports and I believe NJ as well with travelers who expected to just change planes and then had a flight canceled being arrested by police when they had to go to a motel for an overnight stay. Google is your friend here. I believe the US AG had to get involved but I don't know the current state of this problem. The US FOPA law should cover travelers but it doesn't address airport layovers at night due to canceled flights. It is a real probelm however. I will never fly into or out of NYC or NJ for this and other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    Pack a locked hard side gun case in your regular luggage, out-of-sight out-of mind, you keep the key, allow extra time to check in. When you arrive at destination, FIRST THING, check it is still there... all should go well. But TSA does not allow you to lock your luggage itself. If they decide to randomly check your bag, they will either break the lock or pull you off the flight with your luggage and check it. You could miss your flight.
    Not true. You can lock your suitcase with a TSA approved lock. They have master keys to open these. I use them all the time and they have opened my locked luggage and left a note inside saying it was opened.

I prefer cable ties to TSA approved padlocks. I have had someone open my bags and NOT leave a note. Cables ties cut off a bag pretty much tell me as soon as I see the bag that it has been tampered with. Also my bags seem to get searched less once I switched to cable ties. I think the hassle factor for TSA to cut the ties off makes it easier for them to "randomly select" someone else's bag.

Quote Originally Posted by OngngFreedom View Post
    I store the small pistol safe in my luggage and wrap the cable that came with it around the support for the handle. That way it will be less likely to grow legs.

This is EXACTLY the same system I use. I find Dulles to actually be somewhat cavalier about tracking your bag. On the other hand, Indianapolis is VERY professional and the TSA goobers as well as the agents know exactly what to do.

The only problem I had when I first started flying with my pistol was when I was told to lock the orange tag INSIDE my COM gun safe. I now ask the agent to get some of the airline "seal" tape they have at the counter, and wrap it around my pistol safe with the orange tag attached with the tape. It looks official and "sealed" that way.

The time I was told to put it in the gun safe, I was marched from the gate in Detroit by two cops back to the TSA supervisor. I showed the police my CHP since I was officially "approached" and once the TSA supervisor opened my gun safe (with my key), he found the tag, chuckled, and offered to trade me his Glock for my Kimber. I didn't take the deal.

I ALWAYS lock my checked back with a TSA lock if my gun safe is inside. That's just additional insurance and would point to an inside job if my gun was purloined from my luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by gglockster View Post
    I prefer cable ties to TSA approved padlocks. I have had someone open my bags and NOT leave a note. Cables ties cut off a bag pretty much tell me as soon as I see the bag that it has been tampered with. Also my bags seem to get searched less once I switched to cable ties. I think the hassle factor for TSA to cut the ties off makes it easier for them to "randomly select" someone else's bag.

The only problem I see with that is if TSA removes the ties, your luggage spends the rest of it's trip unlocked. My experience is TSA relocks theTSA approved locks after opening them. You still have a more secure bag (but not much). And if it has been tampered with, knowing it ahead of time really isn't that helpful if your gun is already stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    The only problem I see with that is if TSA removes the ties, your luggage spends the rest of it's trip unlocked. My experience is TSA relocks theTSA approved locks after opening them. You still have a more secure bag (but not much). And if it has been tampered with, knowing it ahead of time really isn't that helpful if your gun is already stolen.
    +1 The TSA locks are the worst in real security, but they are better than a temporary "lock" that will most often be clipped off. I have even had my TSA-approved lock forcibly removed by a lazy TSA goober. However, I'd rather have that one small, extra layer of protection against an opportunistic airline employee or government bureaucrat.

If TSA removes the ties, then if something turns up missing I would start with a couple of questions for TSA. IMHO I don't believe TSA has the ONLY master key to a TSA lock. Once a TSA lock has been relocked, it can be difficult to show that the bag has been tampered with. If this is a specific concern for you, many bags have two lock attachment points so use one TSA approved lock and 1 cable tie. For that matter buy some tamper evident tape.

Knowing that my bag has been tampered with visually as it comes down the baggage chute is helpful before I claim it. Once I take possession of it, I become liable good or bad. Showing that it has been tampered with before I take possession has immediate value.

I fly under the assumption that my bag will eventually get pilfered (again). I don't trust the airlines to safeguard my bags nor do I trust the TSA to protect me from theft. Anyone with 5 minutes alone with luggage and a sturdy pocket tool can go through multiple bags. I'd rather make it obvious that my bag was opened and a TSA approved lock does not provide me with that assurance. For practical purposes all checked luggage is unlocked.

I do like OngngFreedom's suggestion about securing the box to the handle strut.

Quote Originally Posted by gglockster View Post
    If TSA removes the ties, then if something turns up missing I would start with a couple of questions for TSA. IMHO I don't believe TSA has the ONLY master key to a TSA lock. Once a TSA lock has been relocked, it can be difficult to show that the bag has been tampered with. If this is a specific concern for you, many bags have two lock attachment points so use one TSA approved lock and 1 cable tie. For that matter buy some tamper evident tape.

Knowing that my bag has been tampered with visually as it comes down the baggage chute is helpful before I claim it. Once I take possession of it, I become liable good or bad. Showing that it has been tampered with before I take possession has immediate value.

I fly under the assumption that my bag will eventually get pilfered (again). I don't trust the airlines to safeguard my bags nor do I trust the TSA to protect me from theft. Anyone with 5 minutes alone with luggage and a sturdy pocket tool can go through multiple bags. I'd rather make it obvious that my bag was opened and a TSA approved lock does not provide me with that assurance. For practical purposes all checked luggage is unlocked.

I do like OngngFreedom's suggestion about securing the box to the handle strut.
    All good points. I may start the one TSA lock and one cable tie procedure. I totally agrre about the TSK master keys. I bet every luggage handler at every airport has one. It's like master keys in a company. They proliferate no matter how hard management tries to control them. Half the staff ends up with a copy.

Good thread guys.

If you're going to use a TSA approved lock on your suitcase, go with one of THIS type, as it will alert you as to if the lock has been opened.

There are a few variations of these, both combo and keyed, all of which can be opened by the TSA without cliping the lock.

Last edited by Rotorflyr; November 7th, 2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Added photo
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links