Simple Airline Travel Question

This is a discussion on Simple Airline Travel Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm flying to Virginia soon. Should I utilize my hard-sided pistol case and my main bag seperately? -- or should I pack my hard-sided pistol ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simple Airline Travel Question

I'm flying to Virginia soon. Should I utilize my hard-sided pistol case and my main bag seperately? -- or should I pack my hard-sided pistol case in my main bag - at the top of the bag?

packing the pistol

Yes, use your hard case to pack your pistol in. Make sure you have at least one good lock on the hard case. A lock that only you have the key for, not a TSA lock.
    The outside of the suitcase can have a TSA lock on it as another precaution.
    Declare during check-in that you have an unloaded firearm. They will want to see it, usually you will have to put in a signed card that it is unloaded. Lock the hard case in front of them and then lock the outside of the suitcase. They will either take it from you there or walk you to the TSA check-in for you to put the case directly on the screening belt.

Make sure you have plenty of time before your flight, and make sure you do not have any of the "extras" in your carry on.

So you suggest I pack my pistol case inside of my suitcase together? You don't think the airline will make me separate them?

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    As usual retsupt99, a very good read.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    I've always packed my pistol case (locked, of course) inside my luggage, which is also locked as well.

JMHO, but it seems to me that my pistol case stowed out-of-sight inside my luggage would be somewhat less likely to walk away versus an obvious pistol case being alone and handled by who know's who?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    JMHO, but it seems to me that my pistol case stowed out-of-sight inside my luggage would be somewhat less likely to walk away versus an obvious pistol case being alone and handled by who know's who?
    +1

Excellent read, retsupt.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Smile

I bought one of those locking metal cases and carry it inside of my luggage. It gets locked after inspection and then the bag gets locked as well. A separate pistol case would be an open invitation for theft.

Armydad

Deviant makes a good point - a pistol locked inside of a full-sized piece of hard luggage is a lot less likely to grow legs during the baggage handling. A small (locked) pistol case inside your unsecure suitcase is much easier to make disappear.

PLUS, if you put your pistol inside of a (properly constructed, locked) full size hard case, you can securely check other valuables - cameras, laptops, etc - without paranoia.

I found the steel 81mm mortar cases he uses at Coleman's for $20 each (plus $20 shipping...)

Packing your case within a case is a personal choice, and it seems to have been addressed...

There are some other concerns to mention, though you may be fully aware of them. I'm not sure which airport you are flying into in VA, but if it is Dulles or DCA be aware that, while Commonwealth law was recently changed to permit standard VA rules for carrying/transporting on airport property from the property line to the front door.

However, Washington Metro Airports Authority police still have a policy that makes it a felony (they have the power to make regulatory law) to be in possession of a firearm on airport property (one memo from the director indicated that this could include a person checking a cased firearm). Since the change in Commonwealth law, this is not enforceable, and I have not heard of anyone being detained or harassed over this. But, be aware of this issue.

What I mean to say, is be discrete...its Virginia, and VA is friendly to being armed, but if you are going to Northern Virginia, its a different culture and you should be careful to avoid unnecessary unpleasantness.

If you are going through RIC (Richmond), you won't have a problem. Enjoy your trip.

I went through Washinton National with no problems both ways.

Semper Fi

Charlotte, NC to Houston (GBI) smooth as silk. Normal paperwork and on my way.
    "Rhino"

Put it in the main bag. Don't make it a separate bag to be checked. Best way to get your gun stolen by the convicted felon baggage handler. There are lots of them out there.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have found flying in and out of Northern Virginia airports to be no better or worse than other airports. I try and watch my bag as far along the process as I can (at DCA this means that I can watch TSA run it through the machine for checked luggage). I have found security to be a little more personable at DCA than at IAD but I prefer National to Dulles for a host of reasons.

Coming from out of town, be careful that you don't get mis-oriented and cross into DC inadvertently. Also be aware that near DCA is the George Washington Parkway (as in a National Park) and that out near Dulles there are stretches of road that also run through National Parks (Route 29 Lee Highway runs right through Manassas National Battlefield Park). It is my understanding that the changes in National Park carry do not change until February.

Anybody had any experience with a lay over and change of flight? Especially one that may go through gun unfriendly states like IL or WI?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links