Carry at a biker rally

This is a discussion on Carry at a biker rally within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I've got to say it - and no disrespect intended towards those that carry to biker events, but I firmly believe that carrying to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carry at a biker rally

VIP Member
    Okay, I've got to say it - and no disrespect intended towards those that carry to biker events, but I firmly believe that carrying to a biker event is an intensely bad idea.

First, let me establish that I love my Harley. I've had a motorcycle since I was 12 years old, and have more miles behind handlebars than behind a steering wheel by far. I love to ride.

Now having said that, I will never attend another 'biker rally'. There are generally four types there; (a) True 1%ers - these are the bad guys that I try to avoid, and why I cc. (b) Posers who want to look like 1%ers, and can generally be even more dangerous in their desire to prove themselves to be 'tough'. (c) Sheep in the most extreme sense in that they are there to behold the wonder and excitement of being around all of these unsavory individuals. (d) Gentlemen riding clubs - these are generally good and decent people, who's company I genuinely enjoy. But now add a bunch of alcohol (and other stuff) to the event...

Hence, at least half (3/4 for me) of these folks are to be avoided. CC'ing to an event like this is the equivalent of cc'ing in a bar, late at night. Depending on the event, it's likely illegal to cc. Even if it is allowed (never seen that yet), you're unnecessarily putting yourself in a situation that drastically increases the odds that you'll have to present. I liken this to choosing to cc and take a stroll through a bad part of town, just because you can.

Again, I apologize if I've stepped on toes here. I'm not looking to scold anyone, and understand that we're all big boys and girls here. I just feel strongly on this one, and hope you stay safe.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Depending on the event, it's likely illegal to cc. Even if it is allowed (never seen that yet), you're unnecessarily putting yourself in a situation that drastically increases the odds that you'll have to present. I liken this to choosing to cc and take a stroll through a bad part of town, just because you can.
    I would agree with this, but only if the person had never attended a rally prior to having a CC permit b/c they feared for their safety. If you're only going b/c NOW you have a weapon and feel safer, you probably shouldnt... but if you've gone in the past and the only difference is now you're allowed to CC, then I say go ahead.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by 357Rob View Post
    I was wondering, with all the alcohol being sold at a rally, is it legal to carry your weapon at one ??
    Motorcycle rally and booze...simply unbelievable. Let me guess...Harley Davidson?
    "I'm a big, hairy, American winning machine!" - Ricky Bobby

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Okay, I've got to say it - and no disrespect intended towards those that carry to biker events, but I firmly believe that carrying to a biker event is an intensely bad idea.

First, let me establish that I love my Harley. I've had a motorcycle since I was 12 years old, and have more miles behind handlebars than behind a steering wheel by far. I love to ride.

Now having said that, I will never attend another 'biker rally'. There are generally four types there; (a) True 1%ers - these are the bad guys that I try to avoid, and why I cc. (b) Posers who want to look like 1%ers, and can generally be even more dangerous in their desire to prove themselves to be 'tough'. (c) Sheep in the most extreme sense in that they are there to behold the wonder and excitement of being around all of these unsavory individuals. (d) Gentlemen riding clubs - these are generally good and decent people, who's company I genuinely enjoy. But now add a bunch of alcohol (and other stuff) to the event...

Hence, at least half (3/4 for me) of these folks are to be avoided. CC'ing to an event like this is the equivalent of cc'ing in a bar, late at night. Depending on the event, it's likely illegal to cc. Even if it is allowed (never seen that yet), you're unnecessarily putting yourself in a situation that drastically increases the odds that you'll have to present. I liken this to choosing to cc and take a stroll through a bad part of town, just because you can.

Again, I apologize if I've stepped on toes here. I'm not looking to scold anyone, and understand that we're all big boys and girls here. I just feel strongly on this one, and hope you stay safe.
    i have got to say that this is about the most off based post i have read as a reason for not carrying anywhere...

for starters...a bike rally is probably one of the most friendly group events you might ever attend...safer than a proffessional sports event and the largest group of "i will help anyone out and give them the shirt off my back" people youve ever had the opportunity to meet...there are families with young children in attendance and yes...even the dreaded 1%ers (oooohhhhh)...coupled with the alcohol its almost like attending a county fair without the rides and pony shows...violence is almost non-existent and a good time is had by all....but if you want to stereotype i guess this would be the place to do it...

like anyplace else on this earth there is a chance that something could go wrong and one might have to defend themselves...but the beauty of large events with large numbers of people in attendance is that there is always a strong law enforcement presence...usually a bunch of law enforcement officers who know you have to let the children play but are quick to step in and control a stuation before it gets out of hand...unruly and/or just plain stupid people are segregated quickly and controlled as necessary...

to even remotely compare it to walking through the bad part of town has got to be the weakest and most prejudiced stereotype ive seen and surprising coming from someone who carries concealed...i guess thats why we have to check our guns at gun shows here...with so many guys carrying guns you know its got to be dangerous...huh?...

by the way...in the event something did happen and you were forced to "present"...wouldnt that be the moment you were glad you were carrying?...isnt that the idea?...

Quote Originally Posted by hidden View Post
    Motorcycle rally and booze...simply unbelievable. Let me guess...Harley Davidson?
    county fair and booze...let me guess...redneck?

sporting event and booze?...let me guess...sports fans?

auto show and booze...let me guess...car enthusiasts?

bars and booze...let me guess...drunks?

please tell me whats wrong with serving beer at a public event? and why it should be any different for bikers?

Around here, if you come unarmed, we'll supply a loaner.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Find out the laws in that state first.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    county fair and booze...let me guess...redneck?

sporting event and booze?...let me guess...sports fans?

auto show and booze...let me guess...car enthusiasts?

bars and booze...let me guess...drunks?

please tell me whats wrong with serving beer at a public event? and why it should be any different for bikers?
    Because by the vary nature of a Motorcycle rally...you show up ON A MOTORCYCLE, drink...then leave ON A MOTORCYCLE.

Because by the vary nature of a Motorcycle rally...you show up ON A MOTORCYCLE, drink...then leave ON A MOTORCYCLE.
    but you do not DRIVE to any of the other events?...nobody promotes irresponsible behaviour...it takes an effort on the participants part to actually be irresponsible...ive heard people even ride motorcycles to bars...believe it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    but you do not DRIVE to any of the other events?...nobody promotes irresponsible behaviour...it takes an effort on the participants part to actually be irresponsible...ive heard people even ride motorcycles to bars...believe it or not...
    I've ridden motorcycles for 30 of my 40 years...and I don't drink and ride, just like I don't drink and drive.

The challenge with serving booze at a motorcycle rally...is that most do not have a designated rider. It's easy and practical to have a designated driver when you are in a car...but not so easy or practical when riding a motorcycle. Also - even when under the legal limit - the effects of alcohol impairment on a rider's ability to control a motorcycle are significant compared to the ability to operate a 4 wheeled vehicle.

It is not OK to have anything to drink when riding...Yes, it's completely OK to ride to the bar...but the minute someone puts down a couple of beers and then leaves to ride home - they become an idiot.

I've ridden motorcycles for 30 of my 40 years...and I don't drink and ride, just like I don't drink and drive.

The challenge with serving booze at a motorcycle rally...is that most do not have a designated rider. It's easy and practical to have a designated driver when you are in a car...but not so easy or practical when riding a motorcycle. Also - even when under the legal limit - the effects of alcohol impairment on a rider's ability to control a motorcycle are significant compared to the ability to operate a 4 wheeled vehicle.

It is not OK to have anything to drink when riding...Yes, it's completely OK to ride to the bar...but the minute someone puts down a couple of beers and then leaves to ride home - they become an idiot.
    then the issue is not serving alcohol at a rally...it the possibility of irresponsible riders drinking and riding...no different really than the irreponsible sporting event attendees who drink and drive...or go to bars and drink and drive...or office parties...

i dont think we need a lecture regarding alcohols ability to impair ones judgement or ability to drive...we are pretty aware of that....

Any state were the rally is that I attend if it's lawful to carry under my CCW then I always carry!...Feel Naked with it.

I have carried to any rally where the state in question recognizes my right to do so. Granted, I ride a cruiser, not a sports bike, but I find an ankle holster, shoulder holster, or hip holster that my jacket will cover all to be quite comfortable while riding.

Ride safe and have fun.
    Due to it's content the posting above should not have been read by anyone.

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
    --[William Ralph Inge(1860-1954)]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links