What about a National CCW option? - Page 5

What about a National CCW option?

This is a discussion on What about a National CCW option? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rodc13 I'm always a bit taken aback by those who claim to be "rabid supporter(s) of 2A rights" while at the same ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What about a National CCW option?

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    I'm always a bit taken aback by those who claim to be "rabid supporter(s) of 2A rights" while at the same time arguing for increased restrictions, suggesting that some states are handing out concealed carry permits to, well . . . anybody. Their claim that mandatory fees and training are necessary for "safety" is just as spurious as other gun control arguments, not backed up by any legitimate rationale, just trying to sound "reasonable".
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post
    One of your responses does require a direct rebuttal - Majorlk, who said "You'd make a great spokesman for the anti movement." For your sake, and to anyone else who doubts my rabid dedication to our 2nd Amendment rights, I offer the next post which are excerpts from my letter to the judge who issued my CCW. My support of our gun rights is beyond question, and Iím sure I am in good company judging from what Iíve seen and learned on this fine site.

Thanks
    Six
    With all due respect, sir, your proposals sound just like those every anti-carry organization espouses. I hold to my original contention.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Used it as an example and to prove a point: Let us all make every state agree with mine no matter what we pass, making it mandatory that citizens of other states accept, accomodate, tolerate and recognize our local laws. A two-edged sword, a Trogan Horse, a deceptive sneaky dreamy scheme to be used and abused. Besides, all we really need for self defense is a good .22. Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    With all due respect, sir, your proposals sound just like those every anti-carry organization espouses. I hold to my original contention.
    +1
    Sadly, Six's attitude is enough of an anti to qualify as one and he doesn't know it. Six - you're into gun control and seemed to be blinded that your enviroment has fomented this in you. NY is near the bottom of the list for freedom inre to gun laws. Free men aren't as free in NY as they are in many other states and you want it even more restrictive. Wrong direction IMHO. Great Brittain used the same logic as you for it's "reasonable, sensible" gun related restrictions. Not only have things gotten worse for them they want knives outlawed now and defending yourself is becoming a crime. People are spending time in jail just for having a knife on them now. Their police are now starting to get armed with sub-machine guns - what happened to "This will lessen crime if we just have some more restrictions on who can carry"? Why have Ted N. in your sig when you don't agree with his idea that the 2a IS his conceal carry license?

I'm alive and not a felon. That's all the qualifications needed! Everything else is a way to make a criminal out of you for trying to be able to defend yourself.

I think most people get used to whatever enviroment they grew up in and think that is the best way to go. You can see it in many ways people talk about their state laws. Like one guy from New Jersey saying there was no point in getting a gun because he wasn't allowed to take it anywhere in his neighborhood anyway because of all the restrictions in place - all the while not realizing the restrictions shouldn't be there in the first place and that his life had been deemed not worthy of defending by those in power. Most people think their state is the cat's meow and won't consider the truths of the matter. They just want to feel "right" regardless of these basic truths. Texas sucks as far as restrictive gun laws go yet we have an undeserved reputation for having loose gun laws and culture. Thanks Hollywood and bigots everywhere! I want Vermont style laws NOW. Heck I'll take AZ any day over what Texas has. Even in Kalifornia you can open carry more than Texas - that's embarrassing! At least we have "shall issue" instead of "may issue" CHLs, like Kali does, so I'll take what I can get. But we need to work towards Vermont style steadily.

I just re-read all the posts Ė holy crap. I donít think Iíve ever been so broadly misinterpreted in my life, and Iím afraid the fault must be mine.

1. Agreed. I have likely been a bit brainwashed by my environment.
    2. I did not say in any of my posts that the Feds should be involved; what I do want is likely unattainable Ė I want to see the states agree on a CCW standard as they seem to have with driverís licenses, because without that agreement, a national reciprocity can never occur.
    3. I should have read Keltykeís post (#2 on the first page) more closely and simply replied ďExactly.Ē
    4. Did I mention I have a CCW? In NYS? And all I did was ask for it? NYís coming along, slow but sure, with a looooong way yet to go. We just need to fire a few more Democrats.
    5. I wish Rosey OíDonald and Sara Brady would check in on this site Ė I canít help thinking their opinions might be softened at least a little when they saw that we are not just a bunch of gun freaks, but an articulate group of people looking for solutions, seeking common ground.

Keep rocking, gentlemen. Thanks for all the input.

Six
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

A Federal CCW License would be disastrous. The Feds have NO business knowing how many firearms I own. This would be a precursor to NATIONAL DISARMAMENT since the federal government would have an accounting of all firearms across the land.

If one turns to the history books, Germany promoted a program to issue a "National Gun Permit". Shortly thereafter, the German citizens were disarmed. If I am not mistaken the former Soviet Union promoted that agend early on after post WWII.

However, I am for national legislation that would require states to honor and recognize state CCW permit.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The only type of national gun law I would agree with would be based on Switzerland. Every person is issued a rifle and is required to keep it in good working order with free training provided by certified instructers at national shooting ranges. Back to reality, the second amendment should be enough. Reckless and irresponsible people can already carry guns around without training and do. They are criminals. National training requirements will not make you any safer than you are now.

I just re-read all the posts Ė holy crap. I donít think Iíve ever been so broadly misinterpreted in my life, and Iím afraid the fault must be mine.
    I suspected your intent was a bit different from how it appeared in your post.
    2. I did not say in any of my posts that the Feds should be involved; what I do want is likely unattainable Ė I want to see the states agree on a CCW standard as they seem to have with driverís licenses, because without that agreement, a national reciprocity can never occur.
    Well, for the states to accomplish this without federal direction it would require all states to collaborate on the details and I for one wouldn't want states such as California having any say so in how concealed carry permits are issued in my state, (Colorado). You are correct in that it isn't attainable except perhaps in the best of all possible worlds. As you know, we don't live there.
    Did I mention I have a CCW? In NYS? And all I did was ask for it? NYís coming along, slow but sure, with a looooong way yet to go.
    Glad to hear New York is coming along albeit slowly. Hope you pro 2nd ammendment guys in New York don't give up. We're all on your side.

The gun-hating Bradys and gun grabbers and nagging national nannies are sneaky because this is their cause, their one and only thing, their reason for existence and persistence...and those donations to them and their public-education nonprofit associations and foundations, located near or inside the capital of our nation. Fine, we accept their federal laws and regulations if they accept mine, until they are is changed by the deranged and the strange.

The Duke of Hazard

...my rabid dedication to our 2nd Amendment rights...
    ...My support of our gun rights is beyond question...
    Reconciling the comments above with the rest of the ridiculous drivel you've posted in this thread is an amazing feat. I don't know how you could manage it while keeping your head intact. I commend you.
    I just re-read all the posts Ė holy crap. I donít think Iíve ever been so broadly misinterpreted in my life...
    No, I don't think your words have been misinterpreted at all. They've been interpreted as misguided nonsense from a closet anti. I think that's exactly what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    I AM in favor of mandating safe gun handling and proper legal use. How?
    Hmmm, I don't know, maybe laws that provide for the punishment of people who injure or kill others through negligence or malice? Oh wait, we already have those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    However, I would like to see a nationwide criteria for concealed and open carry that would be uniform from state to state.
    No, thanks! Here in PA, we have some of the best carry laws in the country. Much more 'lax' than SC, for example. Yet somehow, we manage to maintain a 'bad gun-related stuff level' that's just about the same as everywhere else. Why on Earth should I be subjected to to the useless restrictions and requirements that you are willing to put up with? To assuage your irrational fears? I think not.

This will be okay, as long as all other sister and brother states accomodate and tolerate the CCW laws of Ohio.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links