What about a National CCW option?

This is a discussion on What about a National CCW option? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know a majority of the members here have a very strong opinion on the Feds getting involved in the CCW concept. What if there ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I know a majority of the members here have a very strong opinion on the Feds getting involved in the CCW concept.

What if there was a National CCW option that was only issued by a federal agency, was a completely different process, and had zero impact on individual State CCW, other than they would be required to honor the National permit?

In other words, you have each state still issuing their own permits, and maintaining their own reciprocity agreements, just there is an option to apply for a National CCW permit through, well say for the sake of the discussion, the US Marshals.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I'm still dead set against the concept of the federal government getting more involved in gun control in ANY way.

However, I would like to see a nationwide criteria for concealed and open carry that would be uniform from state to state. Basically, every state would have the same gun laws. You'll never get the states to go along with this - they each have their own idea of what their gun laws should be. I think this is kinda what you're talking about, but it still would involve control at the federal level.

If you have a national CWP, then the individual state's permits would be moot. It would render them unnecessary.

You're right, it is a touchy subject and one that we all feel strongly about. I think, as more and more citizens become more and more concerned for their safety, you're going to see gun laws relaxed, despite what ol' Rama Lama wants from the White House. He's already getting opposition from Congress on his gun control policies as more and more Congressmen are hearing lobbies from their gun carrying constituents. They're realizing there are more pros than there are antis, and it could mean their re-election (or not) come the next vote. For example, the ammo stamping act enacted in the Republik of Kalifornia a couple of years ago is still in legal limbo. Something to do with the patent rights to the process. Also, none of the ammo companies are willing to freely spend the multi-million bucks to initiate the system to their manufacturing process. Sorry, got off subject a little.

National CWP? Good in concept, hard to execute.

I don't think that it would render the individual State CCW moot, as there are people who either would see no need to have a national permit, so would stick with their state permit.

A National CCW permit would be like applying for a non res permit. It is a hassle to get one for some states, and to be sure, the Feds will make it a hassle.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

The concept sounds ok, but in reality, nothing the Fed does really works well with others.

If we had a state-wide receprocity agreement with all states participating, then we wouldn't need a National Concealed Permit Recognition thing from the Gov't.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I get nervous when the government starts making things better.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

This very bill missed being passed by one vote. 59 of the needed, veto proof 60.
    So, like it or not, we almost got it.
    I liked this bill. It ( far as I could tell ) simply said my Virginia CHP was good in all fifty states. Much like your drivers license. Not too much Government involvement there.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Why couldn't it work like a driver's license? Not federally issued, but any state will honor any other state DL. So the federal government could pass a law - not one that allowes federal permits to be issued but instead requires all states to recognize reciprocity of CCW's. So Illinois would by law *have* to honor a Kentucky CCDW permit, heh.

States honor other driver's licenses because of various interstate compacts.

They don't HAVE to, the do so because they chose to.

Same as CCW permits.

The Federal goverment already is mandated with a national CCW. It's called the 2nd Amendment and they don't honor it so what makes you think they should even be considered to do something more restrictive? We need a lot less goverment in all aspects of our lives not more.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Varob, I agree, the bill that almost got passed was a good bill. I think a federal ran CCW program would get ugly quicker than the last girl I picked up in a bar. I think a Fed issued CCW permit in addition to a state issued would sooner or later be inturpeted that you must have both to travel out of state. I would prefer things remain the way they are are and I can just travel around states that don't honor my permit. I am all for national reciprocal law.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    National reciprocity is probably a better idea, easier, and involves a LOT less federal oversight. When the feds start a bureaucracy, you can bet that it will get its hand in with a lot more legislation.

I prefer the idea that, like drivers licenses, the states simply recognize another state's license for all visitors to their state.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I think we're better off pressuring our state governments to reach agreements with other states, as long as it doesn't involve stricter requirements.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    US Gov't policy: If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I was behind the bill too. It doesn't make any sense to me that my driver's license is honored in all fifty states, but not my concealed carry permit. Other states are also required to honor business contracts, marriage licenses, and a wide variety of other state issued documents.

If you were saying that there should ONLY be a federal concealed carry permit (less like a Driver's License, and more like a Passport) I would disagree, because as many people mentioned, the Feds never do anything right. But if the Feds were to require reciprocity among states, I could get down with that.

The scariest words in the english..... " I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Regan

The Federal Gov. place is to REGULATE interstate trade and commerece, not deny it, not grant it. A CCW is just that, an interstate agreement which should be fair across the board, equal in all aspects. The Feds should not be granting CCW permits.......but then neither should the state. This is a RIGHT granted by the US Constitution, and the Fed Gov should be insuring that the states guarentee us that right under the Constitution.
    We though, as good followers (), have at some point allowed the government to restict our constitutional rights granted by the fore fathers in the name of security, safety, protection, regulation, or whatever other word they want to throw out at the moment......
    The Feds are not in the business of protecting OUR rights, they are in the business of protecting their butts!!
    67% of the American public belives America would be better off if we threw MOST of congress out on their behinds.......... and I believe the majority is correct........... it's time WE regulated the government...not the other way around!!
    Last edited by ibesarcasm; November 2nd, 2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: grammer... :)
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links