"WE" all know better, don't we?

This is a discussion on "WE" all know better, don't we? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ya never know. A man here, saw a guy breaking into his car and shot him from inside the house thru the kitchen window. The ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "WE" all know better, don't we?

Ya never know.

A man here, saw a guy breaking into his car and shot him from inside the house thru the kitchen window. The bullet hit the BG in the head and killed him. He was charged with murder.

His defense was, he was not intending to "hit" the guy, but scare him and the glass actually deflected the bullet, causing it to hit the deceased. He also said he was in fear that he would grab the garage door opener in the car and come into the house.....

He was found not guilty by the jury. We , were all amazed.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Ya never know.

A man here, saw a guy breaking into his car and shot him from inside the house thru the kitchen window. The bullet hit the BG in the head and killed him. He was charged with murder.

His defense was, he was not intending to "hit" the guy, but scare him and the glass actually deflected the bullet, causing it to hit the deceased. He also said he was in fear that he would grab the garage door opener in the car and come into the house.....

He was found not guilty by the jury. We , were all amazed.
    I think people are getting tired of being victims and the law says hey suk it up and just replace your stuff,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Shooting his gun in the air was a stupid move and served no purpose expect landing him in hot water.
    Confronting the dirtbag in his car is another discussion.
    He would have been just as effective by turning on all the outside lights and making noise while calling 911...or just calling 911 and let the cops approach quietly to catch them. Anything except shooting in the air.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    or just calling 911 and let the cops approach quietly to catch them.
    Depends on where you live... I live in "suburbia" and it still takes 5-10 minimum to get an officer here... unless we luck out and have one already nearby... (our neighborhood doesn't have a police patrol)

Most car break-ins probably last 1-2 minutes, but I'm not really sure... I can't imagine them sticking around...

"Brains before bullets!"
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Shooting his gun in the air was a stupid move and served no purpose expect landing him in hot water.
    Confronting the dirtbag in his car is another discussion.
    He would have been just as effective by turning on all the outside lights and making noise while calling 911...or just calling 911 and let the cops approach quietly to catch them. Anything except shooting in the air.
    +1

Firing in their direction and not at the BG....? what kind of defense of property is that. I'm glad I don't live in his neighborhood....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

If he was my neighbor I think I would be moving....He is the typical person that makes gun ownership a easy target for the anti-gun owners.....
    "Rhino"

According to the paper (and they couldn't print it if it wasn't true), the man was armed with a .10mm handgun. One tenth of one millimeter is an awfully small round.

This gives me a few questions, like how did anyone even hear the gun fire? That's got to be a real quiet round. Where does one buy .10mm ammo? I think you'd have to load that yourself. After you cast your own bullets. And cartridges.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post
    According to the paper (and they couldn't print it if it wasn't true), the man was armed with a .10mm handgun. One tenth of one millimeter is an awfully small round.

This gives me a few questions, like how did anyone even hear the gun fire? That's got to be a real quiet round. Where does one buy .10mm ammo? I think you'd have to load that yourself. After you cast your own bullets. And cartridges.
    You can import them from Loompaland, which is a region of Loompa, a small isolated island situated in the Pacific Ocean. If you have an Oompa-Loompa friend, they can hook you up.

my question

Doesn't the paper that reported this have SPELL Check and editors?

Geesh, I counted at least three mistakes.

I know I make a lot of spelling mistakes and typo's but I don't get paid to write news articles either!

Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post

Ok make it four mistakes!
    I really think I am going to send an email to the reporter and tell him to get a different job.

I couldn't resist

after re-reading the article I just had to send this to the reporter. Here is a copy of the email I sent.

Chris, I wanted to write to you about an article you wrote that I found on the internet. The article from the Dayton Daily news, was published on October 7. It concerned a man from Beavercreek that fired several shots at someone breaking into his wife’s car.
    I realize that in today’s economy newspapers are trying to cut cost, but has your paper totally done away with editors, proof readers and spell checking software?
    There are numerous error in the article.
    Mistakes 1 and 2.
    Phil D. McCall, of 2281 Horseshoe Court in the Hunter’s Ridge subdivision, told 911 dispatchers he fired his .10 mm handgun twice after he discovered a man rooting inside his wife’s care overnight Oct. 6.
    There is no thing as a .10 mm handgun. There is however a 10 mm handgun. Secondly, I think you meant the thief was rooting in home owners wife’s CAR not care.

Mistake #3

McCall told the dispatcher a “young punk kid” in baggy sweat pants rang his doorbell and then got inside his wife car.

There should be an apostrophe in the word wife’s.

Mistake #4
    McCall said he grabbed his gun, ran outside in his underwear and yelled for the burglar to stop before firing two shots in the suspect’s direction, he said.

You tell us McCall Said, and end with he said, this is redundant.

Mistake #5
    In a separate 911 call Joe Sheehan, a neighbor on nearby Wild Dance Trail, said heard the gunshots from what he thought was a car shooting from Beaver Valley Road toward Horse Shoe Court.

You missed the word he, as in “said he heard the gunshots”.

Mistake #6
    Spicer said while firing a weapon in a residential neighborhood is dangerous, people should not try to take the law into their own hands.

This sentence doesn’t make sense, was Spicer firing a weapon in the neighborhood while saying this? Or was there supposed to be something additional after dangerous, such as “ it is allowed under law”?
    Maybe it would be better if you left out the word while, as in;
    “Spicer said firing a weapon in a residential neighborhood is dangerous, people should not try to take the law into their own hands.” Better?

In addition I would like to point out that the fact that the homeowner had a perrnit to carry a concealed weapon is irrelative since he was on his own property and no such permit is required to protect yourself and home.

If the guy had set off the alarm on his wife's car (from the remote on her key chain), it might have been enough. Turning on outside (and maybe inside) lights would have helped as well.

No need to shoot.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

I can see where the guy shooting in the BG's direction was a stupid thing to do. And most people would see this a a minor thing where a firearm shouldn't have come into play.

If I was in that situation bases on the "facts" provided...

Theft or damage to the family car would be a serious set back to the point that we wouldn't be able to get to work. There is no public transportation where I live, and with out the car that would mean NO transportation to the store, doctor, work, or school.
    If they were to simple take my husbands tools that stay locked in the car then it wouldn't matter if he could get to work or not, because he wouldn't be able to work.
    Weather it was the car or my actual person I can see where a firearm was called for, albeit the use should have been more responsible.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links