"WE" all know better, don't we?

This is a discussion on "WE" all know better, don't we? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; He was in Beavercreek, Ohio, a city near here and Dayton, as in the Dayton Daily News....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "WE" all know better, don't we?

He was in Beavercreek, Ohio, a city near here and Dayton, as in the Dayton Daily News.

2. Remove Ads

"Is it a neccesary gun fight, or is it merely a personal fun fight?" Quote: Leon Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    after re-reading the article I just had to send this to the reporter. Here is a copy of the email I sent.

Chris, I wanted to write to you about an article you wrote that I found on the internet. The article from the Dayton Daily news, was published on October 7. It concerned a man from Beavercreek that fired several shots at someone breaking into his wife’s car.
    I realize that in today’s economy newspapers are trying to cut cost, but has your paper totally done away with editors, proof readers and spell checking software?
    There are numerous error in the article.
    Mistakes 1 and 2.
    Phil D. McCall, of 2281 Horseshoe Court in the Hunter’s Ridge subdivision, told 911 dispatchers he fired his .10 mm handgun twice after he discovered a man rooting inside his wife’s care overnight Oct. 6.
    There is no thing as a .10 mm handgun. There is however a 10 mm handgun. Secondly, I think you meant the thief was rooting in home owners wife’s CAR not care.

Mistake #3

McCall told the dispatcher a “young punk kid” in baggy sweat pants rang his doorbell and then got inside his wife car.

There should be an apostrophe in the word wife’s.

Mistake #4
    McCall said he grabbed his gun, ran outside in his underwear and yelled for the burglar to stop before firing two shots in the suspect’s direction, he said.

You tell us McCall Said, and end with he said, this is redundant.

Mistake #5
    In a separate 911 call Joe Sheehan, a neighbor on nearby Wild Dance Trail, said heard the gunshots from what he thought was a car shooting from Beaver Valley Road toward Horse Shoe Court.

You missed the word he, as in “said he heard the gunshots”.

Mistake #6
    Spicer said while firing a weapon in a residential neighborhood is dangerous, people should not try to take the law into their own hands.

This sentence doesn’t make sense, was Spicer firing a weapon in the neighborhood while saying this? Or was there supposed to be something additional after dangerous, such as “ it is allowed under law”?
    Maybe it would be better if you left out the word while, as in;
    “Spicer said firing a weapon in a residential neighborhood is dangerous, people should not try to take the law into their own hands.” Better?

In addition I would like to point out that the fact that the homeowner had a perrnit to carry a concealed weapon is irrelative since he was on his own property and no such permit is required to protect yourself and home.
    That's good stuff right there.

Soon after the Major Moozlim murders, at Ft. Hood, CBS TV New media mouthpiece, the once-pretty once-perky Katie Couric, read from her teleprompter what some of those infamous unknown some-people say paraphrased sources said, of course: "...he bought a twenty-shot pistol at a local gun store that is known [by whom?] as a 'cop killer' gun..." Silly I, being a recent CCW guy, waited in vain for her to tell me the brand name and model number, that any junior journalist should be able to accurately report, of course.

This would land him in jail in Virginia.

Some people just don’t get it.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    I can see where the guy shooting in the BG's direction was a stupid thing to do. And most people would see this a a minor thing where a firearm shouldn't have come into play.

If I was in that situation bases on the "facts" provided...

Theft or damage to the family car would be a serious set back to the point that we wouldn't be able to get to work. There is no public transportation where I live, and with out the car that would mean NO transportation to the store, doctor, work, or school.
    If they were to simple take my husbands tools that stay locked in the car then it wouldn't matter if he could get to work or not, because he wouldn't be able to work.

Weather it was the car or my actual person I can see where a firearm was called for, albeit the use should have been more responsible.
    With all due respect, that's why one has insurance - to replace stolen items. If I don't care enough about my essential possessions to insure them ...
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Thief rang the doorbell.
    Getaway driver waited with a loud motor running.
    Thief didn't bolt immediately when confronted.

This isn't a gun story. There's more going on here.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

When I was young my friends use to check car door to see if they were locked and then they would take the change out of the ash tray. I know it is wrong to steal but if one of my 14 year old friends go killed for steeling a quarter it would be a tragedy.

I know its a bad idea to stop a thief and ask them if they are a 14 year old kid stealing a quarter or an armed person that wishes to do harm. But I never plan to fire my pistol at a person unless I feel my life was in danger. This guy didn't feel that his life was in danger. He went to confront them! Then he shot in the direction of the thief to scare them off, dumb!

If someone broke into my car in my driveway I would push my house alarm button call 911 and watch them from the safty of my home with my pistol in hand.

This guy used poor judgment and should be made to take a common sense evaluation if there was such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowpointHank View Post
    Yes, I always ring the door bell before robbery!!!
    No kiddin g what was that all about? I didn't read the whole thread but that just didn't make sense to me!!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Hmmm... interesting they listed the exact address and not a more generalized location.

I also noticed he used a .10mm pistol- that would be smaller than a BB... hardly a SD round. A 10mm I could see as useful, though ;)

I just can't think of any thing in a car worth kill some for,everything can be replaced. Unless it your life or that of a loved one in there. There just NO! justification for shots to be fired .....

Really Really Stupid....
    Better to have and not need then to need and not have!!!!
    EDC G22+Clips=SECURITY

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    ringing the doorbell is popular in many places as the thieves are usually trying to see if someone is home...ring the bell...wiat a short time...no response.....clear path to robbery or a b&e...also...neighbors seeing someone walking away from the front door before going to the car might think its a friend removing something from the car after speaking to the owner...in this case it appears they didnt wait long enough and got caught with their hand in the proverbial cookie jar...

i think we can find better things to do with our time after a guy carelessy spends a couple of rounds in the direction of his car (which we assume has some value to him as he is attempting to protect it) and a potential thief than critisize the newsmans knowledge of guns, grammar and spelling...some of you guys would be a riot in court...and i'm sorry for my poor punctuation along with multiple mispellings...i know what it does to my credibility...

i dont think issuing a verbal warning with gun as a backup would have been a bad idea as opposed to firing warning shots apparently aimlessly...

and if one of your 14 year old friends got shot trying to steal quarters from a car ashtray i would think it would speak volumes for the inteligence it takes to steal from people regardless how much youre stealing as opposed to being pissed at the person defending his property from a thief...hell...there are people on this forum who admittedly would shoot someone for accidentally entering their home without even posing a viable threat to safety or personal property...

There are other posts similar to this where shoots are fired and it didn't necessarily involve self defense. Lots of debate about whether or not people should use guns in this way. The thing that seems to not be mentioned much is that if you want to reduce your chances of being shot at then stop steeling from people.

I don't think it is intelligent to steal from a car but the average kid does have bad judgment and doesn't deserve to lose his life for it. I think its wrong to end a persons life when they were not threatening the safety of anyone. For breaking into an unoccupied car you should go to jail for 6 months, yes. Pay for the damages, yes. Pay a fine, yes. Die, no.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links