New to CCW any tips? - Page 2

New to CCW any tips?

This is a discussion on New to CCW any tips? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everyone else has already hit the nail on the head! Congrats on your permit. Don't you feel more American already?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Everyone else has already hit the nail on the head!

Congrats on your permit.

Don't you feel more American already?

Thanks for all the answers, they are very helpful
    Keep them coming! This is better info than my ccw class.

You bet I feel more American

Quote Originally Posted by ccceric View Post
    This is better info than my ccw class.
    That right there is the best reason to get yourself enrolled in a pistol training course!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Congrats on your permit! Also, Welcome!
    I looks like most has been covered already. I can only add-get a quality holster and get a quality GUN BELT! It makes a world of difference! The people that say it does not matter are the ones without a gun belt. I have carried with both and can say without a doubt a good gun belt makes a difference.
    Good luck and stay safe!
    MN

I agree with gdm320. Get into a pistol class of some sort. You will be amazed how much more you can learn in addition to your ccw class. Know your state and local laws.
    Congrats on the CCW !
    "Rhino"

Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

I can't really tell you what will work for you, but, maybe what won't work. Cheap, poorly made products may work for a while, but don't last very long.

I think as you look through the forum, you will start noticing products that are almost always rated well, some that are mixed, and some that are not rated well at all. An example may be the Beltman, Glock or Pure Kustoms. Their products are almost always highly rated.

It's your money, spend it wisely.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    The best advice I can give has been given, STAY CALM, no one notices what they are not looking for.

As for carrying chambered or not, I don't see the point of carrying an unloaded gun, always one in the chamber. If you're not comfortable with it, get some good training. If you are comfortable with it, get some good training.

I tried several holsters (5 or 6) before I tried a CrossBreed Supertuck, it has been the best holster, great concealment, very comfortable, and the company has great CS!

As for where to or not to carry, that all depends on state and local laws, BECOME VERY FAMILIAR WITH THEM.

Keep asking questions, there are really good answers here to any question you can come up with.

Good luck, Sigmanluke
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Everyone has given great advise, thought I'd throw in some good books to read. The Gun Digest book of Concealed Carry by Massad Ayoob answers most of your questions and has a ton of information.
    In the Gravest Extreme, also by Ayoob, is considered required reading for anyone who carries.

Welcome.....

Chambered/ unchambered - chambered
    Cocked and locked - yes
    where not to carry - see state Statutes , know them backwards and forwards

best way to conceal

Where no one sees it. This is a very broad question, and is different for different people. I use an IWB at 3:30

What to do if someone sees it and freaks

Don't let them see it. If your firearm is concealed no one will see it. If you need to use it, don't worry about if someone freaks, since you are trying to survive an encounter with a BG (bad guy). If you are talking about printing, this is something that you will need to get used to. People most likely will never know it is there, it is just in your head mostly at first. You will get used to it eventually.

Best concealment holster

The one that works for you, again a very broad question. Everyone is different. I use a Don hume 715 IWB. A lot of people here with different opinions, you will have to try several options

Take some NRA approved courses and many of these questions will be answered.

Good luck...
    Last edited by ginzotech; November 3rd, 2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Assumed Florida incorrectly with one of my answers

Moving fast.....

thru the post, so I don't know if anyone has posted this yet.
    You asked about where to carry, not carry.
    You need to learn the laws of your state, and any other states you plan on carrying in.

This is the most often referenced site for state laws,

Handgunlaw.us

and if you need to know what other states accept your permit this site has information about that too.

Good stuff here

Distinguished Member
    Guess I"ll go point-by-point. These are my opinions, but find out what works best for you.

Does anybody have any holster recommendations for this firearm?
    Best concealment holster
    I dont know the laws of CO, but for open carry, my suggestion is the Safariland 6378. It is an OWB kydex with paddle and belt slide. It is felt lined. It features active retention, requiring a thumb switch to be activated to draw.
    For IWB, I think Supertuck, hands-down. Amazingly comfortable. can be worn tucked or untucked. Lifetime warranty and amazing CS from Crossbreed.

Some other ?'s
    ??

Chambered/ unchambered
    Cocked and locked
    These go together and have the same answer. YES. My favorite line for this: "an unloaded gun is an expensive club". You may not have the time, or the ability, to rack the slide when needed.

where not to carry
    Again, I dont know CO laws, but property owned or leased by the feds is a no-go. Post offices, etc.

best way to conceal
    Depends on the situation. For casual, I wear OWB with a cover garment. For work, it's my Supertuck, tucked.

What to do if someone sees it and freaks
    If you're worried about that, keep it concealed. Especially if CO is CC only.

You'll get as many different opinions as there are people. Our answers will give you a starting point, but you'll probably end up with a box-o-holsters. And read up on CO laws.

A couple of months or so ago, just for something fun to do, a fellow retiree pal and I took and passed a CCW class, and I started buying and reading and studying every handgun magazine that I could find, mainly for the CCW and "it happended to me" and wise advice stories. I also started seeing and studying and looking at those pretty new gun pictures with advertisements and reviews...and started surfing the Internet to get what I could get about similar stuff and about trying to decide what new guns to buy...and going to gun shows and gun stores and pawn shops once more. But, you can't ever have enough ammo and guns!

Oh, I have to break myself from squinting and taking my time to aim real good and slow with my left eye closed! We have to compromise between accurate deliberate target shooting and CCW combat shooting, which takes some training and a lot of bullets. It depends on how far you want to go and how much you are willing to pay to get good. The Old Cold Warrior used to be a cop, a cab driver and soldier but it is not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BersaUC45 View Post

In the Gravest Extreme, also by Ayoob, is considered required reading for anyone who carries.
    1) You should read this book ASAP.

2) Take the best defensive hangun course you can afford. Use the "search" feature on the forum to find reputable courses.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links