New to CCW any tips?

This is a discussion on New to CCW any tips? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got my ccw permit some time ago and finally got a p238 to carry. I would love some tips from seasoned vets on all aspects ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to CCW any tips?

New to CCW any tips?

Got my ccw permit some time ago and finally got a p238 to carry.

I would love some tips from seasoned vets on all aspects of carrying.

Does anybody have any holster recommendations for this firearm?
    Have tried a cheap pocket holster and didn't like it, thinking IWB.

Some other ?'s
    Chambered/ unchambered
    Cocked and locked
    where not to carry
    best way to conceal
    What to do if someone sees it and freaks
    Best concealment holster

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

hope i can help

Hi,
    I am not real familiar with that gun but I will try to help.

The "best holster" is really up to you. If you go with an IWB ( i like this method) make sure you can draw and reholster easily.I suggest leather like Gould and Goodrich or kydex like uncle mikes
    Pancake holsters are nice and flat, have to be careful how you dress with an OWB holster.

If someone sees your weapon and freaks out, I would say cover it and stay calm don't make it any worse. It's up to you to know your local laws about exposed weapons. I say you can avoid it by carrying with a large shirt or jacket that is long enough to cover your waist line and don't put yourself in a position where your gun is exposed.( don.t lift arms way over head unless you are sure that you are covered) This is a security risk too.

as far as cocked and locked or not my theory is as follows.
    an unloaded gun has never hurt anyone. so if it is unloaded and you need it in a pinch you may be in trouble. I prefer one in the pipe but i carry a glock so i have no hammer to worry about.

The " to load or not to load" dilemma can be taken care of with training. What ever you decide works for you, train with it. Practice the draw and reholster methods with your gun and holster and your everyday attire. Dont forget gun safety though. I hope i have helped.

Any thing else i can help with send me a message. Thanks.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I'm no expert, but Smartcarrys and Supertucks would be what I see recommended the most by others...

As for where NOT to carry, check your state laws... Schools would be a no-no... Hosipitols and banks vary... ANY federal or state owned building... Bars and/or resteraunts that serve alochol vary per state....

If someone does see, just cover it and nod and/or smile...

Most users say carry one chambered... especially the veterans at carrying... unless you pull the trigger, you should be fine...

Crossbreed Supertuck is the holster you need. It's the best holster I've found yet. You'll have to find where exactly works for you and what cant works well also.

Carry with a round chambered. Otherwise you're just carrying an expensive brick on your hip. If you have a good holster (which is very important no matter what holster you end up with) it will cover your trigger and the pistol won't go boom unless the trigger is pulled.

Try wearing a shirt that's the next size up, or button a button down shirt works well for a cover garmet.

Make sure you know your state laws as to where you can carry.

Good luck and welcome!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

VIP Member
    First off, Welcome to the forum. You should carry the P238, chambered, cocked and locked. Never carry a gun that isn't loaded. A gun without a round in the chamber, isn't loaded.

For holsters, let the hunt begin... you will go thru several holsters until you find the best ones for you. Stay with leather, or at least a hybrid leather/kydex. Cheap Uncle Mike's holster are, just that... cheap... Try looking at manufacturers like Crossbreed, FIST, Comp-Tac, High Noon, along with other sponsors here on the forum. Not all good holsters are expensive, High Noon's "Mr. Softy", is an excellent value, leather holster for $25. Start with something simple, then look at the custom holsters that will require a long wait.

IWB carry is pretty easy if you don't wear tight pants. For a small gun like a P238, an untucked t-shirt can hide it. If possible start getting your shirts a little bigger. You will have to experiment with carry position.

Again, Welcome to the forum.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

"If you are far enough away to aim your gun, you are far enough away to run." Quote: Leon Harrison

But, would I run if I had a gun? Is an attack a chance to shoot back and have fun with your gun? Are we looking for trouble and an excuse to shoot?

RELAX...people really do not notice your gun if properly concealed.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Always carry. Any time you can legally cary a gun do so . Mkae it a habit because you can't schedule emergencies

Relax, be yourself... and most important... be aware of your surroundings at all times.

The holster and equipment stuff will come to you by trial and error, most of us who have been at this for a long time usually clean out holster drawers every couple of years, LOL !

Practice until you know your gun inside and out... and until everything that happens from your neck down is automatic without having to think about it - or look down. Unload your gun, check it twice, and practice different drawing techniques in the comfort of your own home. Besides improving proficiency at unholstering your weapon in a hurry, that type of practice will help you narrow down what kind of a holster you eventually decide on.

As far as wondering about carrying with a round in the chamber.... just imagine how FAST any type of a situation where you might need a gun can happen. Then ask yourself if you will have time to draw, then rack the slide to chamber a round ? If carrying with a round in the chamber makes you nervous at first, try this... wear your gun unloaded around your house as you get used to it. In the course of normal activities, see how many times the trigger gets pulled by accident..... you'll be comfortable with a round in the chamber in short order.

Another thing when carrying around the house to get used to things.... see if you can catch how many times you reach down to 'adjust' your holster, or touch the gun to make sure it is still there - you'll do it a lot at first, but out in public those kind of unconscious moves are dead give aways that you have a weapon on your hip.

Last, but certainly not least.... continue to do just as you are doing now. Ask questions. There are a lot of good folks on this board with a wide range of experience. I have not met anyone on here yet that isn't willing to share knowledge.

GM
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

UHH! The question about the holster was a rough one. I can tell you about what works for me, but it does not necessarily imply that it will work for you. I had a Milt Sparks VM-2 which most people recommend, but I could not use it because I live in a place that is hot like a steam room 24/7; I also felt that it was too “clumsy”. Then other member of this forum told me about the #1 Heritage; I like it very much and it is my daily holster. When I need a tuckable holster I use a High Noon Tail Gate horsehide which I think is an excellent holster too. Both of them are IWB and they should work fine with a P238. Unfortunately they are not cheap; on the other hand, you get what you paid for. Also consider spending some money getting a good belt; those $7.99 belts from Wal-Mart will not do the trick.

Unless illegal, I always carry.

I believe that cocked and locked is the only way to go if you carry a SA or SA/DA, but you shall carry in the way that you feel it is most comfortable for you. However, if you decide not to carry cocked and locked be aware of the consequences of it. If your gun is not ready to shoot you when you need it you will be carrying a very expensive brick.

I do not wear oversized clothes, and I do not have any problems concealing. Actually, my CCW permit does not play any roll at all when buying clothes. However, when I am wearing tighter jeans I wear an untucked t-shirt or untucked shirt.

Good luck!
    Last edited by GM; November 3rd, 2009 at 07:22 AM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Stay armed...get into a Self-defense Pistol Course and practice (best thing you can do)...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Some other ?'s
    Chambered/ unchambered
    Cocked and locked
    where not to carry
    best way to conceal
    Best concealment holster

ccceric - Oh you want the Cliff Notes of firearm carry?

Quote Originally Posted by ccceric View Post
    I would love some tips from seasoned vets on all aspects of carrying.

Does anybody have any holster recommendations for this firearm?
    Have tried a cheap pocket holster and didn't like it, thinking IWB.
    QK it looks like he does want the abridged version. That's okay, he has to start somewhere right?

If you want tons of holster specific information you should probably pop into the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options - DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum and ask it there... but I'll offer my two cents on this question and the rest.

I'm hardly a seasoned veteran, but not long ago I was asking many of these questions myself so the decisions I made based on the information I gathered from here.

Quote Originally Posted by ccceric View Post
    Some other ?'s
    Chambered/ unchambered
    Cocked and locked
    where not to carry
    best way to conceal
    Best concealment holster
    1. An unchambered gun is a club. You bought a Sig, a very high quality gun, so I say treat it like one. Always keep one in the pipe. Plus, it means one extra round to defend yourself with a full magazine.

2. I don't carry my P239 "cocked and locked". I'm comfortable firing DA on my first shot then SA on subsequent shots. This is just a personal choice. Either way it isn't going to matter on your Sig, since it is engineered to fire only if the trigger is pulled - not just if the hammer falls for some reason. Whatever you do, just practice it. I was always taught that you should practice as hard as you play, and the same is true for defensive carry IMO.

3. Where you can and cannot carry and how you must carry in certain places varies radically from state to state... check out Handgunlaw.us for a start but you should research specific state information. There is an attorney here in Florida that has written a comprehensive guide on handgun law here in Florida, I'd look around to see if anything similar is available in your state.

4. How to best conceal is entirely a personal thing... it depends on your body type and comfort level with different things. Trial and error, I suppose? I carry IWB and it works for me.

5. What to do if somebody sees your carry and freaks? It hasn't happened to me, but the plan is to stay calm! My plan is to take it easy, de-escalate the situation, and calmly continue about my business. If people are going to freak out and start screaming "HE'S GOT A GUN" then they're going to freak and scream... so let them go. You shouldn't be anyplace where you legally shouldn't have a gun anyway so even if somebody does get involved it shouldn't be a big deal. But others are right that you'd be surprised how oblivious people are that don't even notice. The http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-while-cc.html thread have funny stories of people having malfunctions with carry rigs where the gun fell out and nobody even noticed... I read through that and found a few ways to deal with the embarrassment or shock of it.

6. I thought about the holster thing for a while since it took me a long time to save enough money to buy my gun in the first place. I started thinking Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe... thought about some of the SmartCarry options... but ended up with the Minotaur MTAC from Comp-Tac. I really love the carry on my MTAC, very comfortable even in the Florida heat and humidity.

I hope some of this can help you... welcome to the forum!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links