Can CWP travel I-95 FL to VA while carrying holstered on his person?

This is a discussion on Can CWP travel I-95 FL to VA while carrying holstered on his person? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning all- I will be traveling I-95 FL to VA via Georgia, So. Carolina, No. Carolina. Each state honors FL CWP (a state or ...

Thread: Can CWP travel I-95 FL to VA while carrying holstered on his person?

Good morning all-
    I will be traveling I-95 FL to VA via Georgia, So. Carolina, No. Carolina. Each state honors FL CWP (a state or two restrict weapons- firearms are OK)- I'm concerned with handguns only. Can the firearm be holstered on my person while traveling through these states or must it be "securely encased" or "encased securely"? And if it can be holstered on my person does the holster have to have a snap? Thanks for your input.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my friend, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

NRA CERTIFIED RIFLE & PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
    PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uziman2k View Post
    Good morning all-
    I will be traveling I-95 FL to VA via Georgia, So. Carolina, No. Carolina. Each state honors FL CWP (a state or two restrict weapons- firearms are OK)- I'm concerned with handguns only. Can the firearm be holstered on my person while traveling through these states or must it be "securely encased" or "encased securely"? And if it can be holstered on my person does the holster have to have a snap? Thanks for your input.
    Check out:

Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure in SC you can't have it in a open holster even in the car. You can have it on you but must be concealed.

But as DaveH posted, check it out on the site he provided to be sure.

Safe travels!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Yes, I beleave you must notify police (IF STOPPED) in N&S Carolina not sure about Viginia. H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Here is a good site to put in your FAVORITES. Has a wealth of info.

Handgunlaw.us

Drive safe. Bout got took out 3 times on I-95 last month on the bike from NC to Clearwater and back! Next trips will be in the FX4 F-150!
    Never will hop on that madhouse again on the HD.

Hate to say it and no offence but 2 of the OFFENDERS (A-H****) had NY plates and had to be doing 95 MPH+. The other perp was from Pa, but that road is dangerous!

I'd personally be more worried being taken out by a motorist than a BG.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

In SC

Can be on person but has to be concealed. No snap needed.

Can be in Glove box, Console, rear most compartment in a container that has an intregal fastener or in the trunk. Does not have to be locked. Can be loaded

Must identify that you are Concealed Carrying IF CONCEALED carrying and officially stopped and asked for identification or detained.

Not illegal for gun to become exposed when entering glove box, console etc to retrieve information (not a darn bad idea to warn officer of its presence and wait for instructions before doing so though I don't think)

Legal to tranfer to and keep in hotel room with or without CWP.

Legal to carry in automobile with or without CWP as described earlier (Console, Glove box, etc).

Legal to have in car as described in State rest areas. Legal to conceal carry also, with permit.

State parks also legal to have as described and legal to Conceal Carry with permit.

+1 cphilip! You nailed it. Finally, someone who actually knows the SC law rather than just speculates!

Great link by DaveH - I'd never seen that before.

Re: snap on holster. Are there any states that actually require that? I had never heard of that before and did some quick searching but couldn't find anything related. That seems strict.

Re: snap on holster. Are there any states that actually require that?
    It's not a snap-on holster, it's a holster with a thumb break retention device. I believe GA used to require that, and they may still. Anyone live in GA who can update us on that?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Make sure you do more research than just this site as it lists Maryland as an OPEN CARRY state.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Make sure you do more research than just this site as it lists Maryland as an OPEN CARRY state.
    The devil is in the details.

Maryland is not a traditional open carry state, as we think of it. However, should you be wealthy or connected enough to get one of the rare Maryland carry permits, Maryland law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry.

Drill down far enough and it's there.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Maryland is not a traditional open carry state, as we think of it. However, should you be wealthy or connected enough to get one of the rare Maryland carry permits, Maryland law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry.

And remember MD does not honor anyone's permit.

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Requiring a concealed carry permit to legally open carry doesn't an open carry state make. The issue here is if someone reads that site and DOESN'T do further research they are being set up for failure. I'm not saying the site isn't a great resource but I am VERY uncomfortable with any site that lists MD as open carry without a huge disclaimer. I hate to see a fellow gun owner get slammed because of a misleading website. I'm sure that they aren't intentionally trying to mislead anyone but common sense says MD is NOT open carry for anyone passing through which is what the site leads you to believe.

VIP Member
    I'm not trying to defend the site.

ALL sites and books summarizing law are suspect. IMHO.

One of the big problems is the definitions are not common across States.

Here in Virginia, Open Carry means that anyone who can possess a gun can carry it in plain sight anywhere except some limited enumerated sites -- no permit, license, registration, etc required.

In other States, .... [well see MD, NY, NJ, etc].

Nearly all of these type web sites encourage travelers to check the current State laws and they tend to provide links for you to do that. IMHO, you should do that before travel. I do.

My point is that you should always dbl check, before traveling to another State.

FWIIW -- the site does say:

This State DOES NOT [all caps in red] Honor Your CCW Permit.
    followed by:

Fully preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license [emphasis added]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Now that would a quick way to see the inside of a Maryland police facility!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Sponsored Links