stopped by Texas State Trooper (good)

This is a discussion on stopped by Texas State Trooper (good) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ASHTXSNIPER Originally Posted by ranburr You are no longer required to tell an officer that you are a CHL or armed, unless ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: stopped by Texas State Trooper (good)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASHTXSNIPER
    Originally Posted by ranburr
    You are no longer required to tell an officer that you are a CHL or armed, unless he ask you.
    No that is wrong. You have to inform the officer. What changed is that if you don't inform the officer them he no longer can confiscate your CCL. When you go to court for your ticket the judge can cancel it at his discretion if you don't identify

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I'm not wrong. I'm a TX CHL instructor and this is what DPS informed us at the latest instructor renewal. If he ask if you are carrying then yes, you tell him and show him your TDL and CHL. If he doesn't ask, you are not required to tell him or show your CHL.
    just for clarification so everyone is on the same page of music.....
    nothing has changed in the law where if a peace officer or magistrate asks for your ID, a CHL is required to show the CHL with the ID
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    I made the decision shortly after I began carrying that I would always tell the LEO that asked for ID. I feel that it is just common courtesy, if I was a LEO I would want to know so there were not any surprises. I have read cases where this did not work out well for the carrier but will continue to declare. I just hope I can remember to say armed instead of gun next time.
    i can understand that the use of the word gun may be less than proper but "armed" may be vague. there are many definitions of armed in different states. you might want to consider sidearm, handgun, or firearm to be more specific. i dont think its a bad idea to state that you are carrying, what you are carrying and the location of the carry up front. i dont think the firearm make and model is necessary unless asked specifically for it.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Even the brain washed storm troopers here in NC won't pull you over for 5 MPH over and them boys will write up their own mothers for an infraction!

Glad your stop went well. In my speedier days on the bike I've been pulled 6 times and was always packing. They were all deserved tickets/warnings and I was always treated well. Both by the Carolina and Fl troopers. One of the stops here in NC turned into a 20 minute conversation on guns. Still gotta ticket though. He and I are now shooting buds. He gets PO'd when this 50 YO geezer can outshoot him.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I'm not wrong. I'm a TX CHL instructor and this is what DPS informed us at the latest instructor renewal. If he ask if you are carrying then yes, you tell him and show him your TDL and CHL. If he doesn't ask, you are not required to tell him or show your CHL.
    Well I am a Texas Peace Officer and this is what DPS told us at the legislative update. I would like to see a better interpretation of this myself but if you get stopped you are going to lose this argument regardless of whether you are right or think you are right. Me personally I wouldn't pursue action if someone didn't identify to me. In fact if you present me with an CHL I probably will let you off with a warning for whatever you stopped me for. No if you intentionally don't inform me then I would be more inclined to issue a citation. I am just saying that most LE wont take kindly to not being informed that you have a CHL. There definitely needs to be some clarity from the Legislature made on the matter before someone has to go to court over this matter. I am not trying to be jerk or call anyone a liar I just don't want to see anyone unnecessarily hassled over the matter because I know that there is anti CC LEO out there and they will try to cause problems for people who don't identify.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

For the record, when the tags are run on your vehicle the CHL shows up and the LEO knows before you offer anyhoo. I think it just makes sense to let the officer know you are a CHL carrier and armed regardless of the laws. Should he have a partner looking thru the passenger side of the vehicle, notice a weapon on/near you by chance, it could, not will, cause a situation you might not want.....again, just my opinion.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    For the record, when the tags are run on your vehicle the CHL shows up and the LEO knows before you offer anyhoo.
    for the record.....its usually tied to a DL or name entry not car tags, and its not everywhere, yes DPS it will but not all county/local departments, neither of our county's departments or my agency can see these unless we request a full history check, which we typically do not perform on traffic stops
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Both agencies I worked for had the capabilities and the dispatchers always informed me if someone had a CHL when I 10-27ed them.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    "gun"
    We were taught to never tell a LEO that we have a gun.
    Use 'firearm' or the make/model of your pistol, etc, instead.

I certainly am not interested in causing a LEO to get twitchy. :)
    You are correct. The reason being, in my experience, is because LEOs are trained to "respond" to the word GUN.

Puffer

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Wrong from what I have heard. They removed the penalty, but you can still get hassled. Not worth it IMO.

And TC, are you sure you were doing EXACTLY 60 in a 55? Because every ticket I've gotten says "6-10 MPH over = $$$, 11-15 MPH over = $$$" etc etc... never says anything about 1-5 MPH... I can ask my LEO friend though...

Usually they give you a 5 MPH grace because you cannot be EXACTLY the speed limit, plus car speedometers are not EXACT. You can easily get any mechanic to say it was slightly off and get out of it.
    When I took my criminal justice class back in the day when I wanted to be a police officer the teacher told us that police can stop you for going anything over the speed limit, because its the limit of speed that your supposed to go (pretty self explanatory). Now in Florida their aloud to pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt, even if its just suspicion that you weren't. So at any point they can pull you over, and if you ask why. They can just say they suspected that you weren't wearing your seatbelt, and they can continue their traffic stop investigation.
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    "gun"
    We were taught to never tell a LEO that we have a gun.
    Use 'firearm' or the make/model of your pistol, etc, instead.

I certainly am not interested in causing a LEO to get twitchy. :)
    I was about to say. Gun is like the F word to cops. People hear the word gun, and its an instant way to get them to panic.. its almost a step below the word bomb...
    Concealed Firearm is the best way to relay that you have it under legal guidelines.
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASHTXSNIPER View Post
    Both agencies I worked for had the capabilities and the dispatchers always informed me if someone had a CHL when I 10-27ed them.
    thats good, I wish ours did
    we don't get anything when we run 'em on the computer and if I call our records channel we don't get it on those 27 returns either
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    for the record.....its usually tied to a DL or name entry not car tags, and its not everywhere, yes DPS it will but not all county/local departments, neither of our county's departments or my agency can see these unless we request a full history check, which we typically do not perform on traffic stops
    Correct, my fault. I ment to say "your" vehicle in my post. I live in Houston and most if not all agencies have that ability. Guess I just figured they all did .
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    Correct, my fault. I ment to say "your" vehicle in my post. I live in Houston and most if not all agencies have that ability. Guess I just figured they all did .
    no biggie,
    a lot of people think the CHL shows up everywhere but its just not the case
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You can almost make a case for being a road hazard if you are expected to keep your eyes glued to speedometer instead of the road ahead.
    Cruise control
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Should he have a partner looking thru the passenger side of the vehicle, notice a weapon on/near you by chance, it could, not will, cause a situation you might not want.....again, just my opinion.
    If that happens you are breaking the law and could be in trouble regardless of whether you told them about your CHL. Your weapon is supposed to be concealed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links