stopped by Texas State Trooper (good)

This is a discussion on stopped by Texas State Trooper (good) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 3dfxMM If that happens you are breaking the law and could be in trouble regardless of whether you told them about your ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: stopped by Texas State Trooper (good)

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    If that happens you are breaking the law and could be in trouble regardless of whether you told them about your CHL. Your weapon is supposed to be concealed.
    So are you saying in your entire time of carrying that your shirt has never ridden up on you? Especially when sitting in the vehicle?

My point was a "what if" situation. I dont expect us to all be riding around with our EDC sitting on the front seat.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE= Now in Florida their aloud to pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt, even if its just suspicion that you weren't. [/QUOTE]

I wonder when this will be challenged... as it is unconstitutional. Suppose you get pulled over because the LEO suspected that you had left your driver's license at home...... what's next?

If you grow up in Texas, you do it with a fear of being stopped by a TX DPS officer. Two years ago, I was driving my wife home from a New Years Eve party we attended. It was around 1:30am and I saw the red and blue lights behind me. I was not intoxicated (she definitely was!) so I wasn't worried about a DWI. I got my wallet out of my pocket before I pulled into a parking lot, turned on the dome light and came to a stop. I removed my DL, insurance and CCL, placed them on the dash and rolled down my window. The female DPS officer approached my vehicle. I told her that I was armed and held a permit. She didn't even ask where the weapon was. She looked at my licenses and told me that I was driving 5 mph over the limit. She then handed me my licenses back and told me to "watch my speed and Happy New Year" before walking back to her car. Gotta love the respect!
    "We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the ******** in any direction."
    ~ Colonel Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDog7781 View Post
    If you grow up in Texas, you do it with a fear of being stopped by a TX DPS officer.
    I have been in the great republic of Texas my entire life, and I have never feared the DPS. Look out for them, yes, fear them, not at all.
    Andy
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    I have been in the great republic of Texas my entire life, and I have never feared the DPS. Look out for them, yes, fear them, not at all.
    Okay. Let me rephrase: TX DPS officers are usually ALL BUSINESS and not very forgiving. I feel the CDL helped me on this one.
    Now, I hope your eyes have regained their natural positioning.
    "We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the ******** in any direction."
    ~ Colonel Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDog7781 View Post
    Okay. Let me rephrase: TX DPS officers are usually ALL BUSINESS and not very forgiving. I feel the CDL helped me on this one.
    Now, I hope your eyes have regained their natural positioning.
    Andy

From someone that lives in Virginia to the OP; "God Bless Texas."

Happy Thanksgiving and Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I was pulled over by a Texas State Trooper this past Sunday driving back from Shreveport... Pulled me over for driving in the left lane! (of a 2 lane road) I didn't see any signs saying left lane was for passing only, but he only gave me a warning so I didn't press the issue. He actually pulled someone over before me and pulled someone right after me... so he was just going in circle... I know he was just pulling people over to check for other things.... He even bothered to check if i had contacts in (I was wearing prescription sunglasses) and checked everything from having a front license plate to what was in my car. It was the weirdest stop I've experienced, but it made sense.

Oh, and I was carrying my XD9sc loaded but since I don't have a permit yet I wasn't forced to tell him.

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I'm not wrong. I'm a TX CHL instructor and this is what DPS informed us at the latest instructor renewal. If he ask if you are carrying then yes, you tell him and show him your TDL and CHL. If he doesn't ask, you are not required to tell him or show your CHL.
    Wow, remind me not to ever take your course. The new law says nothing about not notifying the officer, only that the penalty has been dropped for failing to notify.

Yes, i know it sounds stupid, esp since under the MPA you do not need to notify, but thats the law for now.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

I have been stopped a few times since obtaining my CHL. First time was by Harris County Sheriff as I was driving slow through a residential, looking for a delivery address. I showed him my two licenses and insurance. He asked if I was carrying, in which I said I was. He said, "good, I'll be right back". He was gone less than 10 seconds when he told me to have a good night. Officers seem to be happy citizens are carrying as it makes thier job easier in having to look for carjackers after the fact. Dead criminals are easy to track.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    He must have been bored out his mind. All the ones I know say they won't pull you over for 5 over unless your driving eradic also.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

good for you and Texas
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links