stopped by Texas State Trooper (good)

This is a discussion on stopped by Texas State Trooper (good) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got stopped for speeding today, 60 in a 55 out in the country. He turned on his lights and I pulled off as soon as ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: stopped by Texas State Trooper (good)

stopped by Texas State Trooper (good)

Got stopped for speeding today, 60 in a 55 out in the country. He turned on his lights and I pulled off as soon as I got to a spot where I could. Turned off the radio, opened the window and put my hands on the wheel. He came up and said he had stopped me for speeding and that was when I said I have a CHL and am carrying a gun. (damn I said the G word!) He asked where it was and I replied in my front RH pocket. He thanked me for telling him and said fine can I have your license. I said it is in my RH rear pocket (second not good thing damn!) he said fine so I get out my license and CHL and give them both to him. He handed me back the CHL and says do you have proof of insurance? I hand the insurance card to him and it is expired (third damn!) told him I had an in date one and that I must have not changed over when I paid the last time. He says I will give you a warning goes to his car and runs me, comes back and gives me the warning and tells me to stay safe.
    Even with all my screw ups it went well and I now know what to change for the next time.

2. Remove Ads

Stopped for 5 over? Weak.

Of course there is no crime in Texas, so the LEO's have nothing better to do. (Unless he suspected you of something else)

Wow... I'm shocked at 5 over! You can almost make a case for being a road hazard if you are expected to keep your eyes glued to speedometer instead of the road ahead.

Did I miss something? What is this "G word" that is so bad to say?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Geez.
    Dont get me wrong, I try to stay at the speed limit or lower, but here in Ohio I dont think many would pull a car over for 5 over in a 55.
    Sounds like a LEO looking for donut and coffee funds.
    But I guess if he just gave a warning, maybe not.

VIP Member
    The State Troopers job is traffic enforcement... He must have been having a slow day... When he ran your license, he had your current insurance info... Good stop though, everything turned out OK...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Did I miss something? What is this "G word" that is so bad to say?
    "gun"
    We were taught to never tell a LEO that we have a gun.
    Use 'firearm' or the make/model of your pistol, etc, instead.

I certainly am not interested in causing a LEO to get twitchy. :)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm not shocked. I got a ticket in uniform from DPS for a license plate light out.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

GM
    Getting stopped for driving 5 miles over the speed limit is not something that happens very often in FL

Anyway, for a few days ago I got stopped night time because the light turned to reed right after I start to cross the intersection. When I saw the lights behind me I pulled over as soon I could. I turned off the engine, opened the window and put my hands on the wheel. When the officer told me about what I have done I apologized for it (I really did not mean to do it; the speed limit was 50 miles and I estimated the time/distance wrong). He asked me if I had driver license, and then I handed it to him along with my CCW permit. He gave me the permit back and went to his car and run me. I kept my permit in my hand because I thought he did not see it. When he came back I handed it to him once again and he asked me why I was showing it again; I answered “because I am carrying a firearm”. Then he said, that is ok. I got I ticket and I was not glad because of it, but it was my fault. When done he told me to pay attention and say after he said “good night”. He was very professional and polite. A friend of mine got stopped once, and he was treated in the same way. Although not necessary, I always will show the driver license along with my CCW permit.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

You are no longer required to tell an officer that you are a CHL or armed, unless he ask you.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    You are no longer required to tell an officer that you are a CHL or armed, unless he ask you.
    When did that happen. Do you have that in print?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Mmmmm...something new?
    This is from the TX site...

Issuing Authority:
    Texas Department of Public Safety

Cost:
    For most Texans, the license will cost $140. But for senior citizens or indigent Texans, the cost is only $70. For active/honorably retired peace officers or active/retired judicial officers, the cost is $25. For elected felony prosecuting attorneys, fee is waived.

Requirements:
    To qualify for a Texas CHL you must:
    1. Be 21 years old. (Members and former members of the armed forces must be 18.)
    2. Have a clean criminal history, including military service and recent juvenile records.
    3. Not be under a protective order.
    4. Not be chemically dependent.
    5. Not be of unsound mind.
    6. Not be delinquent in paying fines, fees, child support, student loans, etc.
    7. Be eligible to purchase a handgun by completing the NICS check.
    8. Complete required training.

More information on the specifics of qualifying are available on the Texas Department of Public Safety site.

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
    If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license. A person who fails or refuses to display the license and identification as required by this subsection is subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by Section 411.187.

So basically if the LEO asks for your ID, go ahead and give him both.

The above is just some of the info...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I certainly am not interested in causing a LEO to get twitchy. :)
    Me, either. That's why I ALWAYS inform the officer I am armed and have a permit for it. It's required here in SC. The thing that'll REALLY make'em "twitchy" is finding or seeing a gun you haven't told them about. You'll end up examining the business end of a Glock and being fitted for chrome bracelets for a few minutes. LEOs don't like surprises.

In Ohio, you are still required to advise the officer that you are a permit holder AND you are carrying.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Mmmmm...something new?
    This is from the TX site...

Issuing Authority:
    Texas Department of Public Safety

Cost:
    For most Texans, the license will cost $140. But for senior citizens or indigent Texans, the cost is only $70. For active/honorably retired peace officers or active/retired judicial officers, the cost is $25. For elected felony prosecuting attorneys, fee is waived.

Requirements:
    To qualify for a Texas CHL you must:
    1. Be 21 years old. (Members and former members of the armed forces must be 18.)
    2. Have a clean criminal history, including military service and recent juvenile records.
    3. Not be under a protective order.
    4. Not be chemically dependent.
    5. Not be of unsound mind.
    6. Not be delinquent in paying fines, fees, child support, student loans, etc.
    7. Be eligible to purchase a handgun by completing the NICS check.
    8. Complete required training.

More information on the specifics of qualifying are available on the Texas Department of Public Safety site.

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
    If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license. A person who fails or refuses to display the license and identification as required by this subsection is subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by Section 411.187.

So basically if the LEO asks for your ID, go ahead and give him both.

The above is just some of the info...
    Yes it is very new! HB 2730 Here is a reference to it:

Texas Department of Public Safety - New Traffic, Criminal Laws Set To Go Into Effect Sept. 1st, 2009
    Last edited by CommonMan101; November 4th, 2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added "HB 2730"

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Wrong from what I have heard. They removed the penalty, but you can still get hassled. Not worth it IMO.
    HB 2730 removes DPS authority to suspend a concealed handgun license (CHL) for the holder’s
    failure to display the CHL to a peace officer on demand. It removes associated penalties and suspensions for the failure to display.

And TC, are you sure you were doing EXACTLY 60 in a 55? Because every ticket I've gotten says "6-10 MPH over = $$$, 11-15 MPH over = $$$" etc etc... never says anything about 1-5 MPH... I can ask my LEO friend though...

Usually they give you a 5 MPH grace because you cannot be EXACTLY the speed limit, plus car speedometers are not EXACT. You can easily get any mechanic to say it was slightly off and get out of it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links