Help us Californians out! LA County especially!

This is a discussion on Help us Californians out! LA County especially! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LONG, NO CN BUT REALLY IMPORTANT! My first post, sorry for it being so long but it is REALLY REALLY important. The LA County sheriff ...

Thread: Help us Californians out! LA County especially!

Help us Californians out! LA County especially!

LONG, NO CN BUT REALLY IMPORTANT!

My first post, sorry for it being so long but it is REALLY REALLY important.

The LA County sheriff election is coming on quick and with that comes the ability of actually getting a CCW (concealed weapons carrying permit). It is basically impossible to get right now so electing a PRO-CCW sheriff will change everything and perhaps normal people can get the permits rather than billionaires that buy the sheriff’s off.

Anyways, this was all started from a thread on CalGuns.net with a great idea on finding a pro-CCW candidate and donating money to their campaign so they actually have a chance to win.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=31670

That is the thread (and it is copied below as well). We really need everyone to step up and donate money and VOTE for the right candidate.

After all the research and discussion the calgun.net members found that Ken Masse (www.kenmasse.com) would be the BEST candidate to replace Baca out there right now.

So, to sum it up:

1. Vote for Ken Masse for Sheriff

2. Donate (PLEASE) some cash to his campaign fund

3. Include on your check, cash, or online payment the words CalGuns.net and CCW in BRIGHT RED so he knows where it came from

4. Please pass it on to every Second Amendment supporter you know, the more the better.

They have raised over $1000 dollars all ready and it is growing everyday.

Thanks

If you have any questions please respond with them, pm them, email them or catch me on AIM.

To ALL Calguns.net members,

I want to challenge you today. The challenge is for us to make a major impact on Californian's ability to obtain a CHL (concealed handgun license). We can do this by replacing Los Angeles County Sheriff Baca. If that happens, we could almost double the number of CHL holders in the state.

Why are CHLs important? (1) To protect yourself, your loved ones and any other innocent victims when you are away from your home in normal times, or especially after a major disaster (Remember post-Katrina New Orleans? The Rodney King riots?). (2) In case you ever are a witness to a violent crime and the perp gets out on bail. (3) In case you are ever the victim of domestic abuse or a stalker.

Why sheriffs? Because sheriffs are usually the ones who determine whether a resident within their county can obtain a CHL. Also, unlike heads of police departments, sheriffs are directly elected by the residents within their jurisdiction.

Why LA County? Acc to http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06037.html , there are roughly 10 million LA county residents and 28% are under 18. Let’s guess that 30% are under 21. That means there are about 7 million potential applicants. If only 2% apply, that's 140,000 applications. If only 1/4th are approved under the new sheriff, that means we’ll have 35,000 new CHL holders in California – almost doubling the total number. That gives a lot more people a vested interest in stopping restrictions upon our 2nd A rts. It will show that CHL holders in major urban centers are not a source of criminal activity, but rather, that murders, rapes, and aggravated assaults all go down when law-abiding citizens can carry ( http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=18 ). A side benefit is it will cause many residents in other urban counties to pressure their sheriffs and chiefs of police to follow LA’s example. Plus, it will be such a shockwave throughout California politics that Sacramento will be less arrogant in attacking our 2nd Amendment rights to keep and bear arms.

Who to support? According to the previous thread ( http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=29691 ), either Ken Masse ( www.kenmasse.com ) or Don Meredith ( http://meredithforsheriff.com/ ) would be better than Baca re CHLs. Most who have participated at CGN seem to think Masse is the better candidate. Unfortunately, we must factor in which one is more likely to beat Baca, not just which one is more CHL-friendly. Determining that will take some net searching, phone calling, and foot work by those in LA county (see Tasks below). They need to find out who is the stronger challenger to Baca and then let the rest of us know by next Wed morning.

How to support? We have 4,100 CGN members. If only 3,000 of us get 3 (or more) of our friends to join within one week, we'd have 13,100 members (remember to tell them joining CGN is FREE). If 10,000 of us then immediately send checks for $20 (or more), that will be an instant infusion of $200,000 to the pro-CHL candidate in the last 7 weeks of his campaign. I think $200,000 coming in out-of-the-blue might shake things up down there. If those 3 new CGN members in turn get 3 other people to join here, and more importantly, contribute to the campaign, that would be a $800,000 contribution! That sheriff will know who made his win possible and will know that if he does not lower the barriers to CHL issuance, 3 years from now we will organize again, this time to replace him.

I'm willing to risk $20 to try to dump Baca and I'm in the Bay Area. Mailing a check is a lot "cheaper" in time, money, and effort than printing up flyers and driving around to shooting ranges and gun stores to gather signatures. We, here at CGN forum, can have a major impact on that election if we choose. All it takes is the will to skip seeing two movies ($10 each), that you probably won’t remember 6 months later.

Timeline: EVERYBODY sends out this posting as part of an email invitation to at least 3 of their pro-2nd Amendment, pro-gun friends IMMEDIATELY. People in LA county contact each other and form organization this weekend (choose your leaders/officers and pro-2nd Amendment or pro-safety name for your org, but not one with a negative connotation, otherwise the candidate may decline your help lest he get bad PR). They carry out steps 1, 2, and 3 by next Tuesday evening. They carry out step 4 Wednesday early morning (before 7:00 am). Then EVERBODY -- hopefully including thousands of new CGN members -- goes to Calguns.net's "Gun rights, political, and legal" forum to see what candidate to support and IMMEDIATELY mails their $20 to that candidate and emails a ONE TIME ONLY reminder to the friends they invited to CGN to check for the chosen candidate’s name and address info. Next Wed and Thursday, step 5. So, the candidate should have a bunch of new volunteers starting in one week and get all the money within 2 weeks.

Feel free to post this on other gun/RKBA/political forums. People from out of state (friends, family, former or future CA residents, pro-2nd A people, etc.) can support this effort too.

The question is, how much do we want to win? Are we willing to spend a lousy $20 to win LA county? Are pro-CHL people in LA county willing to fight constantly for the next 8 weeks for change? If we sit on the sidelines and don’t play the game, how do we expect to win? If we don’t act now, we won’t have another chance to replace a major county’s anti-CHL sheriff with a pro-CHL one until 2010!

The only thing that is worse than having done nothing to turn this state around is to continue to do nothing. Let’s do this!

Tasks for those in LA county who want to head this up:

1. What does the local NRA Members Council/GOC people think of the different candidates? What do local deputies/police think of the different candidates?

2. How much money have the different candidates raised? How much did the last contested race cost each contestant? The best place to start would be the LA county clerk's office or registrar of voters.

3. Which challenger has the more professional and organized campaign? Which one has raised more money? Is there any polling data to indicate where the challengers stand (check with the LA Time local politics desk)? Is the other willing to quit and support his former opponent so as to not split the anti-Baca vote?

4. Leave a posting on CNG’s “Gun rights, political and legal” forum announcing the chosen challenger and his website so we know where to mail our checks.

5. LA county members work up their own email list among each other; determine the days and hours they can volunteer; contact the chosen candidate telling them how many volunteers you represent and ask them how you can help, what days & times (sons & daughters might be able to help as part of a class project); and then get at it. Determine who will promote this on other gun/RKBA/political forums and update us on your campaign and anyway those of us outside of LA can help.

We only have 8 weeks until the June elections for California’s sheriffs. Many people mail absentee ballots weeks earlier, further cutting down on our time. Before that, flyers, signs, radio spots must be made and distributed/sold & aired by the candidate’s campaign committee. Before that, staff must be hired, phones installed, etc. All this takes time and money, so you have to act immediately for this to work. There is no time to be passive, to wait for meetings, people to contact you, etc. The LA people must be active and aggressive in getting things done. Remember, this is our ONLY opportunity to impact the issuance of CHLs in Kali for the next four years until the next sheriffs elections in 2010.

-SF

2. Remove Ads

Looks like its time to move..... Good Luck !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I feel for you. I grew up in L.A. county. I return every year to visit friends and family. That is a place where you truly need the right to carry and protect yourself. However I am afraid that no matter which sheriff is in office the pressure from those above him will keep that area without the tools all of you need to stay safe. I hope I am wrong and all that deserve to carry can.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

its too crazy there... I lived in kern county. I didn't feel that bad about the Lancaster area but If I went to san fernando valley. I was packin'...legally or not. I knew alot of people doing the same. Even if they told you they weren't packin...they were.
    You'd be a fool not to !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1
    I feel for you. I grew up in L.A. county. I return every year to visit friends and family. That is a place where you truly need the right to carry and protect yourself. However I am afraid that no matter which sheriff is in office the pressure from those above him will keep that area without the tools all of you need to stay safe. I hope I am wrong and all that deserve to carry can.
    Mike
    I think this would be a great first step in the right direction though. We seriously need to do SOMETHING to get it out there.

-SF

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I agree it is a great first step and I do hope it changes for the best for all of you.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Here is a bit more infor regarding Ken....
    I sent an email to Ken asking some questions...here are his responses:

Dear Jimmy,

The answers to your three questions below:
    1. Question #1. What is your stance on CCW's and the average law abiding citizen?

For the last several decades, Los Angeles County has been dominated by liberal politicians. Even when they were conservative politicians, the Sheriff's have tightly controlled the issuance of CCW's. I don't know the reason, just that it has been so. The practice of the current Sheriff has been to issue permits primarily to campaign contributors and Hollywood celebrities. He is particularly enamoured by the ranks of the rich and famous and spends most of his evenings in Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

I will not be issuing permits based on contributions to my campaign or based on a person's celebrity status. At this time, my position on CCW's is that they will be issued upon demonstrated and articulated need. As the next Sheriff of Los Angeles County, it is my intention to ensure that our county's permit policies are in compliance with existing California law. Upon taking office I will conduct a thorough review of the current policies and will make changes to those policies as appropriate.
    2. Question #2. What is your main priority if you were to become a Sheriff?

When I become Sheriff, my main priority will be public safety. This is a mission that the current Sheriff has either forgotten about or has abandoned because he wanted to make a name for himself as a social worker Sheriff. I have three issues that I will tackle head on immediately.

1. Hire deputies to fill our current 1,200 vacancies in our sworn staffing. Deputies have left the department in record numbers during the current Sheriff's last term because of deteriorating morale and a total lack of leadership in the organization. I will bring a sense of stability and common sense to the department which I believe will retain and attract the very best personnel possible.

2. I will reopen the jails that the current Sheriff closed when he was trying to pressure the Board of Supervisors and taxpayers into giving him more money to waste on his social programs and pet projects. It is my intent that prisoners sentenced to county jail time do the maximum amount of time possible on their sentences. At present, a typical 90 jail sentence tranlates to three days actually served behind bars. This has made an absolute joke of the justice system in LA County.

3. I will manage my department's two billion dollar budget as a wise steward of that which has been entrusted to my care. I think it is high time that politicians begin seeing themselves as stewards of taxpayer resources and not some wasteful teenager who has just inherited Bill Gates's estate. I will see to it that the wasteful spending in my department is brought to a halt and that the deputies and professional staff who work for me are provided with the best tools possible to do their jobs effectively and efficiently.
    3. Question #3. How do we know you will not turn out like Baca too?

In virtually every respect, I am as different from Lee Baca as a person could be. First of all, I will not make promises that I cannot or do not intend to keep. I have always been known as a man of my word. That doesn't mean I am perfect. There has only been one Man who walked the face of the earth that could claim that title and His name is Jesus.

What you can know is that it is my intention to be the very best Sheriff for Los Angeles County that I can possibly be. I intend to make public safety my number one priority, not something near the bottom of the scale. I intend to work with the Board of Supervisors, Judges, District Attorney, local Chiefs of Police and the Community to establish LA County as the safest county in the country. Someone recently asked my how I would keep from compromising my values after I became the Sheriff. I told them that the answer to this question was a simple one. I have committed to not compromise my values to get elected and therefore will not have to compromise my values to stay elected.

Ken Masse
    -SF

Excuse me for my ignorance but I just moved to L.A. at the end of Dec of 05. I just moved here from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I was right in the middle of getting my CCW there but I moved to L.A. so I had to cancel it. I was wondering what's the likely hood of getting one in L.A.?

when can we vote for the new sheriff? or am i too late?

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artz
    Looks like its time to move..... Good Luck !
    There it is in a nutshell.

I just sold Commiefornia to China so you might wanna move kinda quick. Sold em everything for a nickel. Screwed them didn't I?

Links