Waiting for my CHL... still

Waiting for my CHL... still

This is a discussion on Waiting for my CHL... still within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am extremely irritated with the state of Texas. My Texas CHL was set to expire at the end of August '09 so I applied ...

Angry Waiting for my CHL... still

I am extremely irritated with the state of Texas. My Texas CHL was set to expire at the end of August '09 so I applied on-line to the Texas DPS for the renewal paperwork in May. FYI, one of our recent changes to the CHL laws here in Texas states that active military and veterans receive a discount on the price of a CHL. Also, no place on the application does it say I need to provide any substantiating paperwork to the state. All there was is a section indicating any special exemptions (like renewal, over age 60, military exemption, etc) I was eligible for and you check those that apply to you. I received the paperwork in the mail several weeks later, finished the class in July and mailed the forms to the proper authorities. In September I received a letter from the state saying I needed a form DD-214 showing I'd been discharged from the military since I'd claimed the 50% military price deduction allowed by the state. I sent in a copy of the form and thought that I'd receive my new CHL in a few weeks.

SURPRISE!!! I received another letter from the Texas DPS a few days ago saying the DD-214 didn't indicate whether my release from active duty was under honorable conditions. FWIW, I was never actually "discharged" from the military. Instead, with over 20 years active duty in the Navy, I was transferred to the inactive reserves in 1994. The form simply stated I'd been transferred to the Fleet Reserve in November of '94 until I "officially" retired from the Navy in May 2004. I called the DPS and explained my situation to the rep I had on the phone. However, she seemed to have no clue as to what I was talking about. Finally, I said I have a certificate from the Dept. of the Navy saying I had retired under honorable conditions and would that work for the state. The rep said yes (though she didn't sound too confident when she said it) so I mailed in a copy of my certificate of retirement to the Texas DPS.

It's now been almost six months since I started the renewal process. Hopefully, this will be the end of my problems and I'll have my new CHL in the near future. However, my old CHL expired at the beginning of September and until my new license arrives, I can not carry a handgun in public.

This is not how the process should go!!!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    When you renewed you license did you say anything to your instructor of you military status. He should have guided you thru the whole thing. Sorry for the delay. I would agree that there should be a place on the application for such things but also I see fault with not asking questions. On a further note.....anyone can claim military status but one will always have to prove it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

My application fee was paid to the state before I took the CHL class and no, the instructors never mentioned it. OTOH, they (the instructors) are there to teach a class on concealed carry, not the fees charged by the state of Texas.

The truth is I don't mind proving my eligibility for any deductions I claim, it's only common sense. My gripe is that there is nothing stating it on the OFFICIAL DPS application form or their web site and when I was finally told I needed proof, the DPS didn't accept the form they said I must send in. If I'd known about the need for either a DD-214 or some other document at the start of the process, there would not have been all the delays and I wouldn't (hopefully) be going into my third month w/o my license.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

That's an unusual situation you have, with the reserves I mean. Having served 23 years active duty USAF, I don't really know how this reserve duty works, since I retired directly after active duty. At 20 years active duty, you are eligible for retirement, but you were transferred to the inactive reserves? I thought all of us who retired were automatically transferred to inactive reserve? Then you officially retired in 2004, shouldn't the DOD send you an ammended DD214 to reflect your status?

Seems like the DPS needs to update their policy and update their instructions regarding submission of applications for the permit with regards to active duty military and veterans.

I'm frankly surprised that you didn't see that coming. I mean, I served in the Navy as well, retired after 23 years of service. I sent in the paperwork before being asked to verify all of it, and never had a single problem. Military folks - of all people - should recognize the need for preparedness. Nevertheless, I assumed they couldn't read my mind, so I went ahead and sent in everything they needed before they asked for it. Just sayin.......maybe we could work with them.
    "Second place is first loser".

You are correct, I should have seen it coming. My only excuse is that after the CHL class the instructors completed the paperwork, took the required photo's and fingerprints and placed everything in the envelope, ready to mail. All I was told I'd need to do was put on the necessary postage and put the envelope in the mail. Since nothing was mentioned by DPS when they mailed me the blank forms or billed me for the license, I assumed (I know, never assume) I had done everything correctly. The last time I applied for my CHL in '04 the military waiver wasn't in effect so I never had to deal with it until now.

In hind sight it would have been simpler - and saved me the wasted time - to ignore the military fee waiver and pay the extra $35.

For LM2024, the Fleet Reserve is a Navy thing and I'm sure while XDs 4me and other Navy retirees are familiar with it, I don't know if the Army or AF have an equivalent. I did send the DPS a copy of my certificate of retirement from the D.O.N. and that seemed to satisfy the DPS.

I feel your pain,one thing I have learned is that anytime I deal with a government entity it is better to send more than you think you need too,when I applied I had a misdemeanor conviction in 1991,I wrote down what it was and what happened etc.,they wanted the actual court records,It took me almost 6 months and learned a good lesson,I also can get the 1/2 priced discount,but didn't know it when I applied,thought it was for active duty military,oh well when I renew it will only be 35.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just thought of something IIRC a dishonorable discharge from the military will prevent you from legally purchasing a firearm since that is one of the questions on the ATF form 4473,so I would think,never mind it's the guvment
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

RACHILDERS - I am familiar with the forms as you said, but I understand what you are saying. Sadly, as handy as the 'information age' is mostly, it is entirely fluid at times. The way we did things last week, won't necessarily be the way to do it next month. Hard to keep up sometimes. But, I'm hoping it won't be long now. I've heard they are getting better in Austin, but haven't seen that first-hand yet. Good luck!
    "Second place is first loser".

Links